• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

possible surge damage?

doomfunk

n00b
Joined
Aug 18, 2010
Messages
4
I'll preface this by saying, I really wouldn't call myself a hardware expert, mostly just an avid enthusiast.

So after some electrical storms and unpredicted brownouts, one of our computers doesn't power on anymore. Figuring it was the PSU, we ordered a replacement and after install, it's doing the same stuff.

Stuff being:
Hit switch
case lights flash, fans spin for about 1/10 seconds
nothing else happens; computer does not post.

This doesn't even happen every time.

A USB hub is normally plugged into the PC, and after the computer failing to boot its lights remain active - power's making its way through the mobo, at least to that. I find this very curious and don't really know why it should be working just fine when nothing else seems to have the power to run.

As an experiment I've also tried pulling all components from the mobo not essential to computer functions, having it down to just the PSU and mobo - considering, IIRC, a computer without even any drives will boot to BIOS - and as a result I don't believe there is a short anywhere within the circuit.

After some research online, I believe it's either the mobo or the CMOS battery. This particular mobo, I can't find the jumpers to try resetting them, and I don't have a spare battery lying around, nor have I ever changed one before.

Mobo in question is an MSI 975x platinum*;
other specs: 8 gigs DDR2 800 RAM, Intel core 2 quad processor, geforce n260gtx, soundblaster audigy (very much an old one), 700w PSU, and currently, plenty of misery

*(italicizing platinum because it certainly seems to matter to MSI, for some reason)
 
Read your mobo's manual. It should tell how to reset the CMOS.
 
Found the manual; evidently this mobo has a tiny orange button that clears and resets the CMOS - no change.
 
If you can, try those parts in another PC. Also follow the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" on what to do when the PC does not POST
 
Ah, I read that and did as much before I cobbled the thread together. I suppose my OP was pretty vague though.

Currently I've taken all of the components out of the PC in question and tested them in my own computer, with the exception of the mobo. So, at this point, I'm certain within any reasonable doubt that it's the motherboard.

I found the ASUS P5N7A-VM as a decently-rated (on Newegg, at least) mobo matching the specs of the current one, but I really don't need the onboard video, which - as it's HDMI-compatible - is probably a significant portion of the cost.

Can you guys suggest any alternatives?
 
Back
Top