Possible Lenses and Recommendations

sondo2121

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
628
I am getting more serious with photography. I only have a EOS Digital Rebel XTi right now, but I plan on investing in some glass here which will be useful on possibly a Canon 5D.

Anyway, with that said, all I have right now is my kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.

I am looking at getting a telephoto lens for multipurpose applications. I am currently looking at the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens. I played around with it and I really like what it can do.

I also would be interested in some prime lenses. I'd like to pick everybody's brain and have them put their two-cents to maybe aid in my decisions in the near future.
 
Last edited:
What kind of pictures do you want to take, and what's your budget?
 
No matter what kind of pictures you take I think a 50mm 1.8 belongs in anyones bag. Supper cheap and Supper fast.
 
Assuming you want a telephoto zoom, and if you're truly serious about growing your hobby for the long haul and imagine yourself shooting full frame in the future, you may want to consider Canon's higher-end "L" lenses over cheaper options like the 70-300 IS. To a novice, the difference in build and optical quality between consumer and pro glass may not seem to be worth the difference in price, but as you expand your skills and your appreciation for the craft, you will likely be glad you went higher-end. Furthermore, unlike camera bodies (or most digital technologies,) glass doesn't become obsolete and high end glass doesn't loose much value over time. (In some cases, a particular lens will increase in value if it truly sports legendary optics.)

Although it is nearly twice the price of the 70-300 IS, I would opt for the 70-200 F/4L IS (even if it means saving up for a while longer.) This is one of Canon's sharpest and most contrasty lenses and is often regarded as Canon's best all-round tele-zoom (besting the faster, heavier, and more expensive 70-200 F/2.8.) Compared to the 70-300, the 70-200 F/4L IS has a metal build, a more effective image stabilization system, a front element which does not rotate during zoom or focus (very important for easy use of a polarizer) and it features superior optics. Unlike the the 70-300 IS, the F/4 L will hold its price over the long haul. If you choose to sell it one, five, or say ten years from now (assuming SLR photography is still relevant and Canon hasn't switched their mount,) you'll likely be able to recoup 80-90% of the purchasing cost (assuming the lens is in good condition.) Another option for about the same price as the 70-300 IS is the 70-200 F/4L non-IS. Compared to the 70-300, you loose the IS and 100mm off the top end, but you gain a substantially better lens.

As for primes, the same maxims hold true (you ultimately get what you pay for and the pricier stuff holds it value,) but it's very hard to pick a prime until you know precisely what you want to shoot and what your budget is. Do you fashion yourself as a portrait photographer? Consider the 85 1.8, or if money is no object, get the 85 1.2L II (one of Canon's best lenses.) Do you like to take pictures of bugs and flowers? Consider a 100mm macro. Do you want as much reach as you can get (for sports, birding, wildlife, or other telephoto applications) without spending thousands on a super-tele, consider the 300 F/4 IS or the 400 5.6 (but be prepared to spend a grand on either.)

Lastly, if you're not at all sure you want to make the long-term plunge into high-end photographic equipment, get the EF-S 55-200 IS which perfectly compliments your existing kit lens and call it a day. If you are, however, sure you'll be spending thousands on a camera body in the future, consider "L" lenses first and foremost, and if you are dead certain on full frame, avoid anything EF-S (or any third party lens which is for digital or APS sensors only.) Those won't work on a full frame camera and you'll have to reconfigure your lens arsenal (at a loss) when you want to upgrade.
 
Last edited:
How soon do you intend on switching to full frame? There are a lot of excellent EFS lenses that simply don't have EF equivalents. The EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and EFS 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM are a prime examples of this, both are exceptionally sharp, the 17-55 even uses L-quality UD glass elements.

The only EF lenses in the same focal ranges are designed to be ultra-wide angle lenses and contain some combination of sacrifices in relation to lenses specifically designed for crop bodies:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II:
+ "L" build quality
+ f/2.8 aperture
- very short zoom range
- very expensive (~$1500)
- no IS

EF 17-40 f/4L:
+ "L" build quality
+ inexpensive for an L (~$800)
- slow f/4 aperture
- short zoom range
- no IS
- not as sharp as the 17-55 or 15-85

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L:
+ "L" build quality
+ fast f/2.8 aperture
+ good general-purpose walkaround for a full-frame body
- not wide enough for the majority of crop users (38mm equivalent)
- no IS
- very heavy (950g / 2.1lbs)
- expensive (~$1300)

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS:
+ "L" build quality
+ has IS
+ good general-purpose walkaround for a full-frame body
- not wide enough for the majority of crop users (38mm equivalent)
- slow f/4 aperture
~ decent price ($1100)

The only compromise with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is the lack of "L" build quality, but that won't help you take better pictures. You can pick one up new for ~$1000 and resell it for $850-900, or buy a used or canon refurbished one and resell it at no loss when you switch to FF.

As to the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, it is a decent lens but definitely consumer grade. A pro camera body like the 5D has the unfortunate side effect of exposing any flaws in your glass and making them more visible than on crop bodies. You'd be much better served by a 70-200mm f/4L, IS or not is up to you.
 
Thanks to all for the advice, sorry I haven't been on lately to keep up with the discussions.

I ended up getting the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lens as well as the EF 50mm f/1.4 lens.

I like to shoot everything from nature, architecture, some sports, people, and other objects.

From the start I noticed how much better quality the 50mm lens was compared to my kit lens...my kit lens now makes me sick after seeing the quality of images the 50mm can take!

If the weather is good this weekend, (It is unfortunately supposed to snow) I'll try to take out the telephoto-zoom and see what I can do.
 
Back
Top