Possible [H]ot Deals: CompUSA store closings (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had Couple of QuadCores listed for $299, plus Phenom9500 $250, so you can take 20% off of it.

Partially true in Madison. Q6600 was $309 - 20%, and the Phenom 9500 is $259 Online ONLY. At the store it was $289, with tax makes the 20% meaningless compared to Newegg.

Just came back from CompUSA not much to speak of. They did have a few 8800GT in stock for 299.00. I took one to the register and asked if they would pricematch BestBuy for 237.99 (Same card) and they said "No!" I said no wonder you guys are going out of business and left LOL Seriously this store has always been a joke, shady return policies, overpriced items...It was only a matter of time before they were forced to go out of business.

I also noticed WD My Books 500gb for 169.99 after "10%0ff" went accross the street to Best Buy and they were 129.99. Went to Circuit City same price 129.99 LOL Good bye and good riddance CompUSA!

I just got back from the CompUSA on the north side of Indianapolis.
The prices there followed the list (posted above) to the T.

I couldn't believe laptops were only 5% off.... loddy frigg'n da.
I couldn't find any PS3 stuff.
Most of the stuff in the store was full MSRP minus 10% or whatever.
No really good deals yet.

Oh, and their laptops were all hooked up to the web. I actually priced checked some stuff on NewEgg and Best Buy while I was in the store. I thought that was sweet.
Usually, stores have full web access blocked so people can't do that.

Got a Phenom 9500 (Retail) for $250, including NYC's bend-over-and-lube 8.xx% tax. :)

reporting from my Compusa:

10% of HDs (still more expensive than online)
20% off stupid crap (ie phone cases)
10% off printers
10% notebook accessories
etc

No discounts on vid cards/tvs

Only thing worthwhile for me there was 10% off of phone accessories (got a car charger for my mogul) and 10% xbox accessories/games.

This is not meant to ruin your satisfaction, but more to warn others against paying more than you can at a major internet retailer... ;)
Not disappointed at all. Got a $220 gift card from a TAP, and they had no 8800GT's in stock (system showed 2, but they couldn't find them). Honestly, I don't mind $10 for the satisfaction of having it in my hands instantly. :)

I've already posted it up for sale for $225 shipped, but if it doesn't sell I may just keep it and see if my Gigabyte 690G board takes quads. :D

my compusa has 20% off all video cards...

649.99 with 20% off for 8800gtx

should I do it?

Looks like I will be waiting, if getting anything, until they have some bigger drop (or discounts) in savings.

I went to check out their available Zunes. Complete waste of time. Everything I looked at compared to Newegg was $10+ over their sales. It's a sucker liquidation sale is what it is.

Went to my local store today also, everything was full retail, most stuff 10% off which was still high, I'll be a week ago most stuff in there was cheaper.
Also big signs everywhere NO RETURNS!

Visited my local store in SF today, price reductions were minimal. I think they'll do well though, many customers buy on impulse.

Like everyone said, nothing great. I bought 2 120MM Aero Cool fans and a round ATA cable. Paid 11.99 for the fans and 7.99 for the cable. I was down in the area anyways despite the fact I live in North NJ and the only NJ store was the Mt Laurel one. I really wanted a Blue Ice Northbridge cooler but they had none.

Receipt has printed ALL SALES FINAL and they stamped the back 4 times with the same thing.

Visited my local store in SF today, price reductions were minimal. I think they'll do well though, many customers buy on impulse.

someone reported that they saw a xfx 512mb 8800 gts card for $254 at the same store you were at. I was skeptical of this. Did you see one?

I didn't read through this whole thread, and this will be buried here ...but...

Here's how it works and what will happen.
Gordon Brothers sets the prices (based on what's setting and national Inventory)
They will not make deals early on. Later, if they see they're going to be stuck with something they'll deal, but only in large quantities, (like 10 laptops/five TVs). They will continue to reduce prices weekly (Tue/Wed or Thurs, it changes ...get there early). There is always a fool that will think he is getting a good deal likely because he has never heard of online shopping ..these are the fools that buy the inventory at the higher prices. Buy the time prices get to 30-40% off MSRP and are equal to online pricing, all the good stuff will be gone.

The deals come at the end, when nothing really desirable is left.
I sold high end laptops (damaged screens, etc.) for $25. 60" plasmas scratch/dent/no remote/etc for 70% off MSRP, "All the Motorola accessories in stock" for $25. That kind of stuff.

One of the "games" that goes on is that employees "hide" smaller. high value items so they can't be sold to the fools too early (before the prices get reasonable ...reasonable, that is, for you and me!). Gordon is really bad with store inventory. The hope is that they'll pull out a laptop/cell phone when the prices hit 40-50% off and buy it themselves.
That works ...see an employee, because they're likely just going to ebay whatever they get.

I am willing to bet money that almost all the stuff remains at a higher price than Newegg until after Christmas, and by then there will be nothing left. CompUSA sucks even when they're having a going out of business sale. Pathetic.

It's not CU's (or GB's) fault if gullible people buy overpriced products during the first week or 2 of their going out of biz sale. ;)

I thought they closed all the GA stores in the first round, at least all the Atlanta stores got the ax.

you know what? That might be entirely possible... I don't think Ive been there since then...

UPDATE: Just called; they are still open.

someone reported that they saw a xfx 512mb 8800 gts card for $254 at the same store you were at. I was skeptical of this. Did you see one?

Negative. I did see a BFG 8800GTS 512MB (the new one) going for $399 retail minus the 20%. Plenty of 8600GT if you're into that.

I swung by my local CUSA last night to check things out, most things were 5% to 10% off, (PC games 10%) MP3 players, Camera's, etc... 5% some PC cases 20%.

One of the odder things I found sitting on the shelf was a BFG 8800GTS 512... for $400 and 10% off that. Seems a bit odd to me that knowing they were going out of business why would they put in orders for the GTS 512?

As others have mentioned it seems like they marked the prices up on some items just to 'discount them'. I was looking at a D-link gigabit router, (wireless). on the egg it's going for $109 after MIR, Cusa had it up for $199 with 10% off that... WTH.

About the only things that were jumping out as being 'decent' deals were the cases, they had the 3D Arurora for 20% off making it around $130. A few of the other cases weren't bad, but I'll wait to try and jump on anything.

Someone's anxious to spend some money :p. What do you hope to buy?

Anyone that's been around [H]ard's [H]otDeals section for very long knows annaconda's always ready to save money on high end stuff and help others do the same. =)

there's no 8800gts 512 right ?

this NVIDIA eats him self
8800gts 512 eat the 8800gts 640 and gtx

Anyone that's been around [H]ard's [H]otDeals section for very long knows annaconda's always ready to save money on high end stuff and help others do the same. =)

Thanx dude, big words. I really appreciate that.

It was inevitable. Any time I used to go into my local store in Ft. Worth, there were very few people there. Their sales were never very good, and they relied too much on rebates.
If your talking about the one on Bryant Irving. I used to live over there When they were running the store closing sales I picked up the black Zalman fan with the green light for 18 bucks which was a 60 fan. They have decent prices when they go out of business LOL. Thing that sucks now Best Buy doesn't sell jack for hardware/cables and such so that means a trip all the way to Frys off Matlock now. :-(

I went into the local store and asked if I could put my own price on any of the products and luckily the girl I spoke with told me they couldn't and told me that a guy went in earlier than I did and tried the same thing. However, after he tried it the manager apparently chewed him out for trying that. I guess nerves are very touchy at this time of the... "release process". :)

If your talking about the one on Bryant Irving. I used to live over there When they were running the store closing sales I picked up the black Zalman fan with the green light for 18 bucks which was a 60 fan. They have decent prices when they go out of business LOL. Thing that sucks now Best Buy doesn't sell jack for hardware/cables and such so that means a trip all the way to Frys off Matlock now. :-(

I wish Fry's came over to FW now that CU is gone. It would also save me a hike to Arlington - almost 35 mi. each way (I'm on the west side).

Yeah I was disapointed. Seems like they marked everything back up to MSRP and then added the 10% discount..

I wish Fry's came over to FW now that CU is gone. It would also save me a hike to Arlington - almost 35 mi. each way (I'm on the west side).

Where at? I used to live next to Don Carters off Oakmont Blvd @ The Arbors but considering my girlfriends formula and my camaro got trashed there at 1 am on Nov6th because some punk kids broke into a ladys car around the corner then were caught so they fled and hit the water in the parking lot from the sprinklers and plowed into both our cars we have relocated to The Meridian Apts on Marine Creek Pkway.Maybe when money is good for all of us we can do a carpool to Frys LOL:D

The sales sucked here in Tucson's store. 10% off msrp is no real savings. I spent almost an hour in that store, and noticed absolutely NO line at the 2 registers open.

...and this is holiday shopping season to boot.

here is the discounts in lex ky
cases. mobos, psu, cpus, gps units, fans, lcd pic frames 20% off (even had a phenom 9500)
harddrives, monitors, lcd tvs all games, consoles, and console acc, comp software memory phones, 10% off
ipods, computers, laptops 5% off

I particularly don't believe the good sales will be now but after the 25th. Remember, for the most part, there are most dumb consumers than smart consumers and they are banking on that.

By now, everyone and their mother have heard about CU going under so, the first thing they assume is... PRICES WILL BE CHEAPER THAN EVER and they will just flock the place, buy what they need for xmas expecting to save chunks of money. some of them won't even know that they were taken for a big ride, some of them will but it will be to late as ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

Sadly, for us, the good stuff might be taken by then but I am still going to go browse the place to see if I can find something that I really don't need but it is to cheap to pass up! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back