Possible fix for GTX 970/980 Voltage Discrepancy & Driver Bug thread

I see, thanks, I must have misunderstood it.

But how well does that fix the problem? Will it be a good enough fix?
I have done this to my setup (STRIX 970 SLI) and objectively it has solved stability problems including game crashes, flickering and loss of focus. Subjectively it feels smoother. In my case GPU1 was at 1.200v and GPU2 was at 1.150v under load. Offsetting GPU1 to +26 MHz over GPU2 makes both cards run at 1.200v under load. I want to try a modded BIOS though because I still get a VRelOp performance warning on GPU2.

Good to hear. Thanks for chiming in.

I have played around with his bios and my card. They crank the volts pretty high, I wonder how the temps would be with the high voltage in an SLI setup. I guess I could mod the bios to run a lower voltage and less aggressive clock.

I think the voltage fix in the bios is simply giving little voltage options It's like a multiple choice exam with options A or B.

I'd imagine one not wanting to overvolt so high can extract their bios. Open it in Maxwell bios tweaker and set the voltage to 1.250 for all values much like how Zoson has set 1.3v for everything in his no limits and reap the same voltage stability but at a lower core voltage.

Can someone post a modded bios they are using to fix this issue? I would like to use it as a template for mine.

Are any of you having issues with your cards not returning to a low idle clock speed? Mine just hang at ~1190MHz...

GPUZ.jpg

Are any of you having issues with your cards not returning to a low idle clock speed? Mine just hang at ~1190MHz...
Are you running multiple monitors, or using a 144 Hz monitor? NVIDIA's drivers prevent the cards from downclocking with multiple displays attached to stop syncing and other display issues.

Also, some people report their video cards fail to downclock if running a monitor at 144 Hz. I have never experienced the latter issue with any combination of GTX 780 or GTX 970 connected to a ASUS VG278HE or PG278Q.

EVGA Precision also has an option that locks the cards to their Boost clocks, if you're using that application. I don't remember what it is called... K-something.

I'm bumping for another anti-consumer bombshell from NVIDIA regarding the voltage issue.

If you look at the release notes for the 347.09 beta drivers, they added a statement I'm sure is going to further enrage users. Pasted from the 347.09 release thread:
"
I notice in the release notes they added a statement to further undermine the intelligence of those of us dealing with the voltage issue in SLI...
347.09 Release Notes Page 8 said:
An end-user gains nothing by attempting to raise the voltage of the higher performance GPU because its clocks must not exceed those of the other GPU.
It's about stability, you assholes...
"

Wonderful... So the mountains of confessions and evidence in the master GeForce forum thread continues to fail to be taken seriously. At first it was like the engineers were covering their ears. Now they have started going "blah, blah, blah..." to further drown out our pleas.

Well, I have an issue with one running at 1.198v and other running at 1.175v when on load. Even a mild overclock at +65 and +25 on Core/Mem respectively causes random, and I really mean random, driver crashes.

So for now I have reverted to default clocks and see if I get any issues with that. Do note that I have two EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0.

I had to put +200 Mhz core on card 1 and +175 on card 2 to get the voltage to somewhat equalise. I might need to turn down both cards again because my first card is running 14C higher than the second, and, while stability is fine most of the time, I had a weird green squares all over the screen in one instance (in d3 windowed fullscreen mode).

strix isn't a reference card.
Right, but none of the 970s you list in the Overclock thread are. No biggie, I can play around with it myself. I'll have time to do it over Christmas.

Back