Possible chipset overheating?

board2death986

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I'm the owner of a system that suffers from infrequent random poweroffs which result in the system rebooting normally in every way except my network adapter refuses to make connections. This is always solved by rebooting an additional time which leads me to believe the problem lies with the motherboard.

My motherboard is an Asus Rampage II Gene mATX, and I've thought of updating the BIOS but i'm running Windows 7 x64 bit and Asus' update tool only works in a 32bit environment. Anyone hear of this type of issue with this board before?

Hey guys, I'm the owner of a system that suffers from infrequent random poweroffs which result in the system rebooting normally in every way except my network adapter refuses to make connections. This is always solved by rebooting an additional time which leads me to believe the problem lies with the motherboard.

My motherboard is an Asus Rampage II Gene mATX, and I've thought of updating the BIOS but i'm running Windows 7 x64 bit and Asus' update tool only works in a 32bit environment. Anyone hear of this type of issue with this board before?

I have a Ramage 2 GENE.

Yes, the chipset runs hot. This is due to the the teeny "unified" NB/Mosfet HS. I found routing my P180 mini's fans to run air over the chipset, have helped greatly. Something like 90C (autoshutdown - my settings) to 62C load.
No, the software BIOS update tool DOES work in a Win7 64bit envoriment. You may also use EZtool to flash it (via the BIOS, it's on the last or so page). Just extract out the files inside before booting into BIOS.

Adding a fan (or two) to push air over the heatsinks can make a significant difference. Even small fans from old CPU coolers can do plently. Beyond the aggrivation, having the board run hot is not doing the chips any good either.

Back