Possible 2500+ overclock?

[v]@bans

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 7, 2003
Messages
160
I'm running at 1.8 using my AMD 2500 Barton. I'm currently deciding from the last possible upgrade for this machine or if its better spent on a new system. Should I over clock my 2500+ to run at 2.2 and use that for a bit longer? How about purchasing a 3200+ barton for about $200 or the final option just hold out all together save it towards a new system. Any thoughts about the best way to handle this?
 
I've been running one of these chips at 2.3 for a long time, and am in the process of upgrading to a dual core opteron 165. I think the only reason you should upgrade is to go to a dual core CPU. Otherwise just OC your current chip. It'll do 2.3 easy.
 
Anything special I should do to my motherboard and chip? In terms of cooling? My system seems to restart whenever I OC now..
 
No nothing special needed, providing youve got adequate cooling on there. My vcore is at 1.65 and it's pretty solid although I haven't run any tests on it.

Run tests like prime95, memtest and make sure it is stable at stock settings, otherwise you might have some hardware problem somewhere.
 
I run my 2500+ at 2.2 (200mhz) with memory at 66% at 1.8v, stock heatsink but a larger a64 fan on it. no problems so far. temps around 40c idle 55 load (with window closed heater on)... not bad:p
 
I have my CPU currently at 2.2 and no real problem. Question I have is what is the difference between running a a system at 1.8v than the stock 1.65 like the asus mother board that you have (Lsv)? I'm running the same mother board with the exceptions its a -x. I'm gonna try to play CoD2 and see what happens..
 
ouch ouch ouch sorry for double post but wanted to give a quick update. CPU got up to 73 degrees while playing CoD 2. I'm resting assured this is bad. Any reccomendations for heatsinks and fans or is this too hot to play or use.
 
[v]@bans said:
I ran memtest and I got 100K+ of errors. What can I do?

Seems obvious but...have the RAM replaced under warranty? Though you don't bother to list your CPU/RAM settings, so that's really the only advice we can give.

A good heatsink would be the Thermalright SI-97A + a 92mm fan of your choice.
 
Well as noob as this sounds, the ram is just in there. *plunk* As far as I remember I didn't do anything special with it.. Just put it in and turned on my machine. also is my CPU getting so hot is indiciative of the type of fan and heat sink I have or just the settings really. I have the CPU running at 2.2. using 1.8vcore. As for the ram I doubt I can have it replaced through warrenty. This current machine is about 2 going on 3 years old so any warrenty would have run out a long time ago.. I have the box for it so I'll look at that later when I get home from work..
 
you should have a lifetime warrently on your ram

other than that. i would say try to get a better heatsink and fan. maybe add a case fan or two if you don't have any and go from there.
 
Back
Top