POS power supply in my PC need replacement

insane

Weaksauce
I’m pissed off. I built a new computer that I thought would be quiet. When I’m using the computer lightly, the computer is quiet. As soon as I start playing a game, the computer sounds like a rocket. Come to find out, it is my weak power supply that is causing the problem. When I was buying my parts, it was sort of an emergency so my only option was going to Fry’s and getting my parts locally. Unfortunately, they only had Cooler Master extreme 550watt power supply for $60.00:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=cooler_master_extreme-_-17-171-038-_-Product

Now, not only am I pissed at the fact that my power supply is causing a lot of noise, but I’m afraid to overclock my CPU because it will probably crash. To make matters worse, I threw away the original packaging so I can’t return it.
Currently, I’m in the process of looking at new power supplies. My rig is in my sig. My price range is around $100 - $150.
I been checking out Corsairs line of power supplies.
I’m thinking about ordering TX850 V2:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthu...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304734227&sr=8-1

Before you say this is overkill, I might go sli in the future but that will be much later in the future.
Would you guys recommend any other power supply in this price range that is QUIET under load?
Also for people who own this power supply, is this power supply quiet under load?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A 550W PSU would be plenty for your PC, but like you've pointed out, your Coolermaster PSU is pretty shitty. If you want to go with an SLI setup in the future, a 750W or even 650W PSU would be plenty. 850W isn't necessary at all. If you really want something quiet, I recommend looking at Seasonic's X series, or Corsair's AX line (rebranded Seasonic X PSUs). They don't even run their fans until they reach a certain load level. The X-750 and X-650 can sometimes be found for under $150, if you can find them at all. Otherwise, pretty much any Seasonic-made PSU in the 650-750W range should be extremely quiet compared to what you have now, like the 650W and 750W versions of the Corsair unit you're looking at, the XFX Core Edition 650W and 750W, Antec Truepower New 650W or 750W, etc.

The X-750 is better, but personally, I think the TX750 V2 would be quiet enough for you. However, it's your money and your opinion is the one that matters, so all I can suggest is that you look up some reviews and see what people are saying. We already know that the TX750 V2 is a good PSU, so if all you need is impressions of how loud the thing is, even an improper review should be able to give you an idea.

Back