Portrait mode is AWESOME!

l88bastard

2[H]4U
I have been running three Dell U2410s in eyefinity for a while, and I was beginning to consider selling them and going back to a single 30" 2560x1600 display because a 4.8:1 ratio is just way to wide for gaming in my opinion and I really miss the 30"

I was close, very, very close to pulling the trigger and gettin the new Dell 3011, in fact had the 20% discount not expired I would have gone ahead with the plan to replace the triple 24s. But it did expire and out of boredom, I decided to try my triple 24"s in portrait mode.

WOW I AM GLAD I DID! I was one of those people that always criticized portrait mode due to the closer bezel spacing and taller bezel interferance, but I am here to tell you three Dell U2410s in portrait mode is awesome!

My one problem with a single 30" had been that is always seemed to be too big for websurfing & work productivity and too small for when I tried to go multi window. With the 30" I usually ended up only using about 75% of the screen real estate when I surfed and worked, and found it necessary to have at least a second monitor when I was using a 30" for my primary. Having triple monitors in portrait solves this problem. As you can see in the photo, surfing the web is awesome, I can run pages at full screen and they are all tight in my field of view so I don't have to constantly turn my neck like I did when they were in landscape. When I am working I can view full size legal documents, stretch major mega pixel photos across my monitors for detailed viewing, and use nearly 100% of the screen real estate, which was something I could not do with a single 30" or triple 24"s in landscape mode.

Landscape mode is best for flight and driving simulators, but for FPS, RPG & Sandbox games portrait rules!

My one problem with portrat is, HOW DO I ROTATE BIOS TO PORTRAIT MODE? I have Dell U2410s so please somebody let me know if there is an option in the monitor settings or bios that I am missing, so I don't have to tilt my head to the side when I am changing bios info (See photo 2).

2010-11-24122332.jpg

2010-11-24122510.jpg

Haha, I just discovered this too. A single 24-incher doesn't work very well, but when accompanied by another monitor or two of the same width, it's great. Right now I'm running a 2007FP in portrait next to a 2408WFP, also in portrait, and my laptop screen. The other day
I discovered the 2408WFP for $200 and ordered two more.

The way my desk is set up the 2408 is a bit too tall if I'm sitting upright and not leaning back, so I just shorten the window a little. Yeah it's wasted space, but I can use it if I need it.

The setup works so well because you can view a web page optimized for 1024x768 just fine at 120% (usually), or one optimized for 800x600 zoomed in at 150%. With more lines of text than the Rosetta Stone. (Or nice and smooth like an iPhone, your choice.)

Having three separate monitors makes it easier to keep track of documents and tasks than on a single large monitor. The bezels are actually helpful to segregate documents, as you've discovered. I wonder if there's a program that will display pages 3-up for doc review.

I did some calculations that will make you happy: if placed at the optimal distance (about 32", at which pixels are indistinguishable), a 3x2407/8/10 setup covers about the same horizontal field of view, and greater vertical field of view, as an IBM T221 viewed at its optimal distance. That's a product of having half the PPI but twice the width. You sacrifice 240 horizontal pixels and 480 vertical pixels. It's 7 megapixels instead of 9. Oh well.
You can always add another 2407/8/10 (or three) using a USB DisplayLink DL-195 based model, which are now around $65. I have a Diamond BVU-195. The brand doesn't matter: the chipset and driver will be the same for all of them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey I88. Portrait mode is awesome. With my 3x 30", the only way I'd give that up is if 2560x1600 projectors that you told me about become affordable. I would buy a couple of those and go front projection.

I don't think there is a way to get BIOS to show portrait. Just a small inconvenience.

Hey I88. Portrait mode is awesome. With my 3x 30", the only way I'd give that up is if 2560x1600 projectors that you told me about become affordable. I would buy a couple of those and go front projection.

I don't think there is a way to get BIOS to show portrait. Just a small inconvenience.

Ah Vega, your great mega triple 30" portrait setup was my inspiration, lol. I am very impressed with portrait and can only imagine how insane your setup must look in person. Have you found anyway for bios to switch the picture to portrait?

I can say that pictures and videos of portrait setups really do not do them justice, you have to try it out in person to really see what the BIG DEAL is about!

It's too bad that cleartype text does not look as good in portrait mode. In fact you pretty much have to turn it off.

It's too bad that cleartype text does not look as good in portrait mode. In fact you pretty much have to turn it off.

Text is just as crisp in portrait as it is in landscape with the U2410, thats one of the reasons why it is such an expensive monitor.

What for do you guys use the portrait mode? I have a single U2410 and the old 2007WFP display. I have the 2007WFP hooked up to a portrait mode, but found my self not using at all because I don't know what to use for. I tried using it a few times, but most of the time found my self not looking at it..

Or get a newer version of Windows that correctly handles portrait so that ClearType continues to work, aka Windows 7.

What for do you guys use the portrait mode? I have a single U2410 and the old 2007WFP display. I have the 2007WFP hooked up to a portrait mode, but found my self not using at all because I don't know what to use for. I tried using it a few times, but most of the time found my self not looking at it..

Did you ever have to write a paper for any type of academic assignment, or draft a document using information contained in more than one other document?

Or get a newer version of Windows that correctly handles portrait so that ClearType continues to work, aka Windows 7.

How do I do that?

I have Windows 7 but ClearType (subpixel smoothing) still does not work right, even after using their adjustments.

When running Ubuntu, I can explicitly chose subpixel smoothing for portrait mode, in the ClearType settings of Windows 7, I can't.

Subpixel smoothing does work better in landscape than in portrait mode, but the Ubuntu mode makes it a bit better than not having any subpixel smoothing at all.

How do I do that?

I have Windows 7 but ClearType (subpixel smoothing) still does not work right, even after using their adjustments.

When running Ubuntu, I can explicitly chose subpixel smoothing for portrait mode, in the ClearType settings of Windows 7, I can't.

Subpixel smoothing does work better in landscape than in portrait mode, but the Ubuntu mode makes it a bit better than not having any subpixel smoothing at all.

Do you (or anyone really) have a picture example of the differences? cuz I run win7 64 and I can't see a difference in my text whether in portrait or landscape.

Do you (or anyone really) have a picture example of the differences? cuz I run win7 64 and I can't see a difference in my text whether in portrait or landscape.

Even if I took a screenshot, it should show up differently on your screen than on mine. I tried to take a picture, but the resolution of my camera is not high enough to show this.

Anyways, I can very clearly see red pixels left of strokes and blue pixels right of them, so on my machine, Windows 7 does not alter the ClearType rendering mode when in portrait mode. The red/blue stripes should be above and below, as it is actually the case in my Ubuntu virtual machine.

Maybe the ATI driver does not tell Windows that the orientation has changed?

I hate you for making this thread. Literally going to order my U3011 tomorrow but I'm only 60% sold on getting that over 3xU2311H's in portrait. 3x24's are too expensive, especially with the 25-30% off on the U3011.

Clear type does not work correctly in Windows 7 portrait mode. You can correct the text some, but it will never look as good as landscape as the pixels are rotated 90 degrees.

Even if I took a screenshot, it should show up differently on your screen than on mine. I tried to take a picture, but the resolution of my camera is not high enough to show this.

Anyways, I can very clearly see red pixels left of strokes and blue pixels right of them, so on my machine, Windows 7 does not alter the ClearType rendering mode when in portrait mode. The red/blue stripes should be above and below, as it is actually the case in my Ubuntu virtual machine.

That's odd.. I run a 6870 and can't see anything like what you described. So I dk if it's an ATI issue. Maybe it's your type of monitor. I run Samsung F2380s.

I have a NVidia card and Win7, it is the same.

Switching to Portrait does not change Cleartype action, it is better in landscape mode, but perhaps not bad enough for some to notice.

To verify it didn't change. I took screenshots in both Portrait/Landscape. They are identical.

Back