~PORTAL! Thread~

Absolute Awesomesauce. I just finished the normal game and this is by far one of the best PC games I've played in a long time. The mechanics are fun, but the atmosphere and "plot" really take the cake.

Johnathan Coulton wrote the ending song!

Bonus 18 map - I semi cheated I think lol.. I didn't take out any of the sentry guns nor did I use the moving platform... I used a portal from the previous room to get through it ;)

How do you beat the third stage in level 15 advanced?

Im in the room, I have to jump over the glass wall. Above the wall is a force field. Next to the room is a smaller room. I need to use momentum and propel myself, but where do i place portals?

Im in the room, I have to jump over the glass wall. Above the wall is a force field. Next to the room is a smaller room. I need to use momentum and propel myself, but where do i place portals?

Not sure if its the same map or a different advanced one... but you need to place portals on the ceiling and floor and fall through a few times while trying to hit the wall with a portal as you build speed.

I'm at the boss battle and I'm stuck. I've made it the whole way through easily on my own but I can't figure this out. Can anyone post spoilers please? I'm going to try a few more times but if I can't figure it out I'll check back here.

Oh, my favorite line is when the voice is explaining momentum for portals and it says "In other words, Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out!" Lots of other great ones too.

I'm at the boss battle and I'm stuck. I've made it the whole way through easily on my own but I can't figure this out. Can anyone post spoilers please? I'm going to try a few more times but if I can't figure it out I'll check back here.

Oh, my favorite line is when the voice is explaining momentum for portals and it says "In other words, Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out!" Lots of other great ones too.

Use the rockets to hit it ;) then burn!

FYI, I just frapsed each of the jumps you need to do in this area... I stopped at one of the hard parts because its lots of bouncing balls and fraps was eatting up my hd space :p

Figured it on my own but thinks anyway jmackay. Maybe it will help someone else. Doing bonus maps now.

Bonus 18 map - I semi cheated I think lol.. I didn't take out any of the sentry guns nor did I use the moving platform... I used a portal from the previous room to get through it ;)

There is no way to take out the guns...Thats why it's the advanced level. =) You didn't cheat.

Once I figured it out I walked a buddy through over the mic because lemme tell you, it was a bastage...

A portal from the previous room? WTF? I wonder if I did it differently. I basically did it the same way you did in the first one...only a little modified

FYI, I just frapsed each of the jumps you need to do in this area... I stopped at one of the hard parts because its lots of bouncing balls and fraps was eatting up my hd space :p

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/116612.html

Some tips for level 15 Advanced/Bonus map if you need help :)

There is no way to take out the guns...Thats why it's the advanced level. =) You didn't cheat.

Once I figured it out I walked a buddy through over the mic because lemme tell you, it was a bastage...

A portal from the previous room? WTF? I wonder if I did it differently. I basically did it the same way you did in the first one...only a little modified

Hmm I couldn't figure out a way to do it like I did the original.. but yeah I used the same portal you place on the floor to get near the box drop off thing...

Quick walkthrough of what I did, I'll fraps if needed :p

Portal 1: Wall near ceiling
Portal 2: Ground by platform below the box drop off location near the doorway with the button to enter the room with turrets.

jump into portal 2 to fly out 1 and land near the box drop off thing, hit the button that pushes the platform out and up.
Run outside and place portal 1 on the arched platform, run back inside and jump into portal 2 again.

You have to do it before the timer runs out and you will fly across the room up to the box.

Now you have the box, hide behind it and crouch down so the turrets shoot it not you (probably used to this after the turret crazy level :p)

Now fall down while holding the box into the place with the button, put portal 1 in that room and exit (no need to hit the button since portal 2 is outside that room still ;)

Now you are outside the room and just have to get back up and place the box on the drop off location :)

Oh you can definately take out each gun in lvl 18 advanced. I should just fraps it and show it, rather than explain it...

well the game was easy to beat. was not hard at all but the challenges are tricky. like the least potol in the first map is 4 i think but i only got 5 the least so far. i cant figure out how to just do 4 portol to beat the level.

Because the lyrics from that song are amazing, here's what I could understand. The (???) are parts, I simply couldn't make out, so if anyone knows what she says, then please fill in the blanks:

This was a triumph

I'm making a note here
huge success

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction

Aperture science
We do what we must, because we can

For the good of all of us
Except the ones who are dead

But there's no sense crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying until you run out of cake

And the science gets done
And you make a neat (???)
For the people who are still alive

I'm not even angry
I'm being so sincere, right now

Even though you broke my heart and killed me

I'm torn into pieces
And threw every piece into... a fire

As they burned, it hurt, because I was so happy for you
Now these coins of data make a beautiful nine

And we're out of data (???) single time

So i'm not (???) burned
We have all the things we learned
With the people who are still alive

Go ahead and leave me
I think I prefer to stay inside
Maybe you'll find someone else to help you

Maybe Black Mesa
That was a joke...HAHA fat chance

Anyway this cake is great
It's so delicious and moist

Look at me still talking, when there's science to do
And I look a parrot
Makes me glad I'm not you

I've experiments to run
There is research to be done
On the people who are still alive

(???) I'm still alive

I'm doing science and I'm still alive
I feel fantastic and I'm still alive
While you're dying I'll be still alive
And when you're dead I will be still alive

Still alive...
Still alive!

Because the lyrics from that song are amazing, here's what I could understand. The (???) are parts, I simply couldn't make out, so if anyone knows what she says, then please fill in the blanks:

Play the actual game, son. If you had, you'd realize how stupid your question was.

Play the actual game, son. If you had, you'd realize how stupid your question was.

No, what's stupid is your reaction, so instead of being a smartass, could you fill in the blanks ?
If you had read this thread (which you have some difficulty in doing), you would realize I don't own the game, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for videos, screenshots and much less what's missing from the lyrics...

When I try to start Portal, after the Valve splash screen, the game exits. I get an error:
Game Engine
Could not open library client

Anyone else seen this, or have a solution?

Update: If I try to copy client.dll from one of my other <game>\bin folder to portal\bin, that client.dll is removed after I try to launch the game.

No, what's stupid is your reaction, so instead of being a smartass, could you fill in the blanks ?
If you had read this thread (which you have some difficulty in doing), you would realize I don't own the game, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for videos, screenshots and much less what's missing from the lyrics...

then buy the game?

How about instead of you asking meaningless questions (you don't know how the answers relate or what they stand for) you just get the game and stop flooding the thread with junk?

And Silus:

And you make a neat (GUN)

I'm not even angry

And tore into pieces

Now these points of data make a beautiful line

And we're out of beta we are releasing on time

So i'm GLaD I got burned
Think of
all the things we learned for the people who are still alive

Go ahead and leave me

Maybe Black Mesa

And I look out there
Makes me GLaD I'm not you

I've experiments to run

And Believe me I'm still alive

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/115830.html

Watch it there, there are probably some other minor errors I found a few and fixed em for ya.

And Silus:

And you make a neat (GUN)

I'm not even angry

And tore into pieces

Now these points of data make a beautiful line

And we're out of beta we are releasing on time

So i'm GLaD I got burned
Think of
all the things we learned for the people who are still alive

Go ahead and leave me

Maybe Black Mesa

And I look out there
Makes me GLaD I'm not you

I've experiments to run

And Believe me I'm still alive

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/115830.html

Watch it there, there are probably some other minor errors I found a few and fixed em for ya.

Thanks jmackay! I don't think I saw that video, or at least I didn't notice that the lyrics, were being displayed.

I don't understand what caused the brainless to attack a simple post of mine, with the lyrics of the song, from a game I don't own...

I really stewed over bonus map 18 but I figured it all out... The turrets can be taken out 1 by 1, and the high jumps I did the same way the first time for the fun of it :p

Now I got 46 seconds on map 14 to beat the 50 second cap, but now the goal is 20 seconds?!? Also the portal limit is 6 portals, but after I beat that, the goal is 4 portals... Are these goals possible? lol

On the Challenge map 14, the goal is actually TEN seconds. And it can be done. (Just did it) You'll have to think ways to shave off your time, sometimes portals are quicker than even walking a few feet if you have good aim... Same thing with the portal goal, it can be done

So far on the bonus map what I have noticed...the stuff that works for me...ignore the original map components completely. And the best thing to start off on is, Portal goal first, then Time, then steps...Steps seems to be the hardest for me right now at least...

I just wanted to say that this game wins the prize for making me nauseous faster than any other FPS. I can't even watch someone else play it.

I just wanted to say that this game wins the prize for making me nauseous faster than any other FPS. I can't even watch someone else play it.

lol yeah its really bad when you do repeating top->bottom portals and it speeds up :p

I think its easier to play than watch though, as when you are controlling you know when movement will occur and thus mentally prepare for it.

I can't wait to start the advanced/bonus maps this weekend.. Actually I really can't wait for more new maps and challenges... I think valve should have made portal with double the maps, like 40 would have been better, it was much too short for me but still awesome.. i like when something new and original like this is released and everyones raving about it, fun times :)

remind me

The advanced maps are just the maps towards the end? ie. 18 19

The bonus maps at the end, are just bonus maps?

And the achievments are self explainitory on how to achieve?

or are their hidden things you need to do to get them?

remind me

The advanced maps are just the maps towards the end? ie. 18 19

The bonus maps at the end, are just bonus maps?

And the achievments are self explainitory on how to achieve?

or are their hidden things you need to do to get them?

Advanced maps are a sub-section of the bonus maps. They are much harder and start @ 13 or 14 I think. The other bonus maps are challenges (portals, time, etc)

Loved the game hopefully we see more of portal and Aperture Science in the future. I so want to make an Aperture Science case mod now.

Very nice! I think level 18 advanced took me 10 times longer and was not nearly so graceful ;) (I killed all the turrets)

I didn't think to use that diagonal section that sticks out to jump to the cube, among other things. I'll have to give that method a try, bravo!

Hehe thanks... I gave up trying to kill the turrets (totally spaced jumping out the wall.. duh!!), I figured they couldn't be killed so found another way lol.

Thats why I love these puzzle type games, they make you think and have multiple solutions =D

Hehe thanks... I gave up trying to kill the turrets (totally spaced jumping out the wall.. duh!!), I figured they couldn't be killed so found another way lol.

Thats why I love these puzzle type games, they make you think and have multiple solutions =D

You get to see my vid of how to kill the turrets?

Back