~PORTAL! Thread~

Says 5.7 for me, but I spent 2.5 on the main game, been trying the bonus levels.

Some of them are damn impossible, they say 10 seconds, and no matter what you do (you'd have to noclip across the map) it's literally impossible. Some say you can only use 2 portals. which I did on one level, but regardless, I can't believe they tested the challenge levels.

Wow you really need to reply the game if you missed the commentary, its hilarious all the way through

I demorecorded the last few levels, I'll fraps em and post em if people want.

Ok I've done this about 60 times and cannot make the jump across. I miss by like 2 ft everytime. When jumping into the first portal, I'm jumping and then using momentum to enter the first portal at the top for best height... still nothing.

Suggestions? I've watched this video about 30 times and mimic it exactly. No go. :mad:

did you get it?
that video was my first legit attempt at doing level 18, i noclipped that part the first time (no comment)
it looks like on the try i made it, i jumped off the ledge and as you said went into the portal as close to the top as i could...if you still miss it, fraps it, id like to see what your doing...wrong

someone demo or fraps level 19 because i noclipped it (no comment) after 15minutes of running around like an idiot

4.6 and all the advanced levels done too. I watched you guys' video for 18. Apparently I did it the hard way. I never made it to the bottom or top chamber until I had activated the little electric thing. The timing was pretty crazy.

Just finished the main game. The last 2 levels took me a couple hours alone, but I'm completely satisfied with this game. Short and sweet! The ending really made the game, adding the perfect twist with humor and suspense. I used the chair :p

I was also reminded of the cube movies lol, especially cube 2. Anyone else think that you could combine regular weapons and enemies as well as the portal gun and its puzzles to make a more dynamic game? Imagine a Cube movie premise where you and other NPCs have to make your way through some futuristic death trap, with enemy soldiers, turrets as well as friendly guards and helpful scientists! The NPCs help you along the way like a Alyx character, only to be slowly killed off as you advance through the game... Ahhh yah.. I'd love to see a game like that.. Gabe ever read [H]ardforum? :p

Thanks for that mp3. The lyrics are very funny :)
I kenw Portal was going to be awesome. I'll check the videos later.

Truly amazing game, took me 3.7 hours.
For those who were asking about the vent, and how to get into it, here ya go:
!!!!!!!!!Spoiler!!!! SOLUTION!!!!!!
Go back into the room with the rocket launcher and place a portal on a wall in it's little room. Go back near the vent where you see the whit tube running along the ceiling with companion boxes flying through. Place the exit portal across the room near the ceiling opposite the tube. Go back to the launcher and make it shoot a rocket through the portal. It will break open the tube, freeing a box to stand on.
WTF ALL THAT ?
I just took a chair from the previous room and jumped from the chair unto the vent lol.

I feel pretty good not getting stuck for too long on any of the puzzles, the game really is satisfying, I loved every moment of it :)

I just took a chair from the previous room and jumped from the chair unto the vent lol.

I did the same. Except, the chair fell over so I just made a pile of chairs and computers(?). :p

GCFscape is your friend. Let's you explore the .GCF files and extract from them, including all the music files and GLaDOS voice files. Good times.

Thank you very much. I stumbled upon this earlier on the internet, but didn't have much time to look into it. I'll download it now and see if I can extract the files.

It was hard enough getting up here but now i'm lost. Maybe I'm getting tired.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Bad quality compression for some reason. Did it quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvcHW7Wj0EA

Make a portal in the center of the opening, then place another one on the bottom area you just came from. Jump off the ledge into the lower portal and it will pop you up over that ledge. Does that make sense?
Remember, the portals don't interfere with momentum, use gravity to your advantage.

Good at puzzles, took just over 1 hour 30 mins to do the main singleplayer, didn't get stuck on any of them.

Make a portal in the center of the opening, then place another one on the bottom area you just came from. Jump off the ledge into the lower portal and it will pop you up over that ledge. Does that make sense?
Remember, the portals don't interfere with momentum, use gravity to your advantage.

Thanks. Got stuck on that. Didn't realize that was last part before final boss. LOL

The only puzzle that really slowed me down was the one in the tall room with the loads of moving pipes, where there is closed fence all around the top. I did it without cheating, but it felt sort of , inelegant, next to some of the other puzzles as it seemed to rely more on being able to aim and shoot a portal quickly at a small angled target, rather than being thinking and timing based like most of the others.

It's one of the only ones I can imagine being really tough on console without some sort of aiming assistance.

Unless of course there's an easier way.

Test 18 I didn't really have any problems with, although it sounds like some people had a slightly different experience, my process/sequence in spoilerific - invisotext below:

1: Take out all the turrets by portal-routing the energy ball.
2: Turn on the moving platform (Timing important, once the ball is heading to the receptacle you only have a short time to open two new portals to press the button, it's plenty as long as you know what you'll be doing in advance) .
3: Use platform to get to bottom chamber.
4: Open pivot gate.
5: Portal back to platform beside pivot gate.
6: Open portal on gate, jump off platform beside camera down to lower platform and into portal (4, 5, 6 are time constrained, but there is plenty as long as you don't stop for a break) .
7: Fly to upper chamber.
8: Get cube, take it back to start platform.
9: Go to lower chamber, open pivot gate.
10: Portal back, pick up cube, walk under pivot gate.

General Tip: I found that the high drop , momentum based, portal jumps it's better to create the portal after you jump by pointing straight down when you have finished any forward momentum, rather than creating the portal and trying to jump through it. This guarantees you maintain maximum momentum and won't lose any by clipping the sides of the portal.

Also, after HL2, I thought that every game should have a Gravity gun.

After Portal, I think that every game game should have a portal gun.

I can see a multiplayer Portal being a technical and design nightmare, but it so needs to happen :D

Also, after HL2, I thought that every game should have a Gravity gun.

After Portal, I think that every game game should have a portal gun.

I can see a multiplayer Portal being a technical and design nightmare, but it so needs to happen :D

imagine 10 portal open in one map... my pc will die bad

I'm loving the game so far, I'm up to level 15 in 0.9 hrs. Can't wait to finish it tonight.

Playing this game has made me realize how bad I need to upgrade lol. It'll slow down the comp in some parts. :(

Ok, here's the solution for 18 without using the super jump across the entire room.

SPOILER!!!!!! SOLUTION!!!!!!!

When you enter, kill all the guns using portals to redirect the energy ball at them. Easy.
Once done, look to the left of the entrance. There is a tall pedestal with a red button on the top, just out of reach. When hit, it opens a door to an energy-ball receptacle that powers the platform in the middle of the room. You have to time this well... Place a portal against a wall, and it's opening near the false wall near the button. walk through, and as you fall hit the button. Immediately reposition the entry portal in front of an energy ball so that it comes through and powers the platform. You can now ride the platform across and simply jump off of it into the lower room across the pit.
Once there, shoot a portal across the room onto the wall-part that moved out to allow you in. Place another inside the alcove you are in. Hit the red button, and jump through the portal. Immediately recast the entry portal down to the platform that's off the edge near the goop and jump into it. Your momentum, plus the angle of the exit portal will launch you across into the top alcove where the companion block is waiting. You can now use the moving platform to get across.

"There's no sense crying over every mistake
You just keep trying till you run out of cake"

Fantastic ending. I was laughing the whole time. The game was definitely a head trip. It's going to be interesting to see what custom maps come out of this because I think a lot of mappers are going to come up with things that Valve didn't even consider.

Anyone else get the feeling that the computerized voice was the result of some kinda demented threeway between Shodan, Xirkses, and the Joker?

Kept me up till 2:30 last night...damnit i only ment to play one level!!!

tired but still occasionally getting the giggles about that ending song.

first time i went thru a portal and upside down , i was dizzy.

Did it happen to any of us?

Does anyone else have a problem with Xfire not recognizing that you are playing Portal? It does the same with HL 2: Episode 2, but it recognized Team Fortress 2 just fine.

Almost finished with Portal, it's awesome, kind if irritated at Xfire for not recognizing but now i'm just curious since Xfire is usually way ahead of the curve when it comes to recognizing new games.

Does anyone else have a problem with Xfire not recognizing that you are playing Portal? It does the same with HL 2: Episode 2, but it recognized Team Fortress 2 just fine.

Almost finished with Portal, it's awesome, kind if irritated at Xfire for not recognizing but now i'm just curious since Xfire is usually way ahead of the curve when it comes to recognizing new games.

Xfire has not added support for Portal and Episode Two yet. However, since TF2 has been out for a few weeks, they have already added it. See the games list here.

Xfire has not added support for Portal and Episode Two yet. However, since TF2 has been out for a few weeks, they have already added it. See the games list here.

Thanks, usually I know that when I buy the game on day 1, like Bioshock and MoH: Airborne, usually Xfire already has support lined up. I guess that's cause they had demo's, and Ep. 2 and Portal didn't.

But thanks though!

What do you suggest for weapons if there was only 1 portal gun?

Cake knives?!? :eek: heh

I'm wrecked for the week because of portal damn voice... "there's cake..."

What do you suggest for weapons if there was only 1 portal gun?

Cake knives?!? :eek: heh

those white plastic ones. well I dont know I could imagine valve just throwing one portal gun into HL2DM and giving it away free to portal owners, that would be quite fun.

I can imagine making a 2 portals and with a gravity gun shooting a saw blade through the portal, it comes out the other end and kills someone. It would just make for some hilarious gameplay with everyone trying to get the portal gun.

I had to call it quits last night at level 18, got sleepy. Loving it so far though.

I kinda miss my companion cube

I still want a plush head crab, but at this rate they will never be back in stock.

Back