Portable USB HD

Astra

Limp Gawd
Hi All.

I was about to buy WD passport 500G when I noticed that they released a new edition and accordingly to the majority of the reviews on Amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Dig...UTF8&coliid=IB0KY4X6GVPDS&colid=28X05OBN6PF4K
it is a disaster. They built s/w into HD's ROM, so you cannot get rid of it by formatting HD (it is loading a virtual cd-rom every time you plug the HD in. Just like Scan u3 usb stick, although I think you can get red of this one (didn't try it b/c I like it)). Also it has nonstandard small USB connector/cable.

So, I will have to buy either previous edition while stock lasts or I found another HD that looks OK but I don't know anything about it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5...TF8&coliid=I1L7932ZS6UJNI&colid=28X05OBN6PF4K
Do you know anything about this Samsung HD? I found more or less good review on Tom's h/w but I would like to hear from "real" people :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
there is also this.. im guessing by the UK links that your in the UK or europe.. so ya may have to look around for em..

Yup. This is the older edition.
As I said, I buy either it or maybe Samsung if I hear anything positive about it.

Why buy a premade at all?

Buy any 2.5" SATA HD and install in a 2.5" SATA external case.

It takes all of 2 screws to mount it in the case.

You will then be able to remove the drive for troubleshooting without voiding the warranty.

I don't want it to be in the case permanently. I must be portable, so I can take it with me to work and so on. I have 320G WD and I like it very much, but I formatted it to get rid of their s/w.

I don't want it to be in the case permanently. I must be portable, so I can take it with me to work and so on.

I'm lost???

Those cases and HDs I'm showing you are the exact same thing that you're looking to buy but you put them together instead of WD.

EDIT...I'm not talking about installing the drive in your desktop case.....just the portable case.

I'm lost???

Those cases and HDs I'm showing you are the exact same thing that you're looking to buy but you put them together instead of WD.

EDIT...I'm not talking about installing the drive in your desktop case.....just the portable case.

Oops. My bad.
I assumed - case - computer case. Sorry about it.
I am going to look at it now.

I don't want it to be in the case permanently. I must be portable, so I can take it with me to work and so on.

Take a case like this, buy a drive like this and put the drive into the case.

I only used that case as an example not as a recommendation but now that we're on the same page....

I used 2.5" external drives when I had only laptops and always bought cases depending upon the chipset installed in the case.

My only chipset comparison charts are getting long in the tooth and aren't revelant in today's market. :(

There are basically no other differences that I know of, between cases.

That being said, I'd probably buy the first one on your list because it will accept IDE and SATA drives and has both eSATA and USB for outputs.

It seems to cover all the bases. :)

I tend to find that Vantec's and Antec's enclosures have better build quality than generic brands. I also prefer aluminum casings instead of plastic, for better heat dissipation.

I tend to find that Vantec's and Antec's enclosures have better build quality than generic brands. I also prefer aluminum casings instead of plastic, for better heat dissipation.

I didn't find any Antec or Vantec(don't know this brand) 2.5" enclosures.

Back