Popular games you can't get into.

Elder Scrolls Online is one of the buggiest games out on PC.
Bioshock Infinite is not my cup of tea. I liked the other two games in the series though.
Assassin's Creed series. Another game that never clicked with me.

I loved the first Assassin's Creed because it was different but the others were boring rehashes of the same plot. But Black Flag was the first AC game that actually had me playing, it's nothing like the others. It's a pirate simulator with an assassin side story that could easily have been cut out.

I'd like to add Titanfall to my list

Reasons: (Per Armenius)
(Remember, these are in my opinion)

The way I play a shooter is kind of kamikaze. I run in as fast and possible and take out 1 or 2 before I die. K : D ratio means nothing to me. I just like fast passed with a direction. Titanfall is too all over the place for me to find enjoyable.
Single player joined with multiplayer. I find it distracting from the normal multiplayer gameplay. Seems a bit sloppy.
Futuristic but with the same old weapons found in any modern shooter game. Where are my rail guns and BFGs?
AI seems to be a haphazard addition to the game to make 6v6 seem less small.
The game feels like COD future warfare. Apart from mechs and wall running there is nothing different. (Not a fan of COD)

Last edited:
A lot of people mentioning games, but not giving any explanation. I could act cool, too, and list <insert popular game here> since it's all the rage to bash it.

A lot of people mentioning games, but not giving any explanation. I could act cool, too, and list <insert popular game here> since it's all the rage to bash it.

Well thanks for neither listing a game nor giving a reason...

i really cannot get into any MOBA, or Minecraft, as well i loved Fallout 3, but something about New Vegas i cant get into.

Dark Souls. I bought the first one and didn't play it much, no desire to purchase the 2nd one.

I felt that the game was stupid due to the fact that it was HARD because of a lack of a modern feature called AUTOSAVE (correction, RELOAD). If the game had that, it wouldn't be much different from any other game. Yeah the encounters are not EASY by any means but I think people tend to confuse "hard" with "frustrating" when they mention this title. If this was the case we could just go back to the days of Nintendo with no save files at all. Frustrating as hell right? But not necessarily hard, you just pay dearly for losing.

Perhaps some feel more accomplished for getting through a game like this, but to me I more or less just feel inconvenienced.

Last edited:
Dark Souls. I bought the first one and didn't play it much, no desire to purchase the 2nd one.

I felt that the game was stupid due to the fact that it was HARD because of a lack of a modern feature called AUTOSAVE. If the game had that, it wouldn't be much different from any other game. Yeah the encounters are not EASY by any means but I think people tend to confuse "hard" with "frustrating" when they mention this title. If this was the case we could just go back to the days of Nintendo with no save files at all. Frustrating as hell right? But not necessarily hard, you just pay dearly for losing.

Perhaps some feel more accomplished for getting through a game like this, but to me I more or less just feel inconvenienced.

Dark Souls has autosave. It saves automatically after every item use, every time you walk more than a couple of feet, any time you kill a non-respawning opponent and every time you pull a lever or trigger a switch.

Dark Souls has autosave. It saves automatically after every item use, every time you walk more than a couple of feet, any time you kill a non-respawning opponent and every time you pull a lever or trigger a switch.

Oh, I shouldn't have said autosave.

What I meant was manual save and RELOAD. Like I'm standing in front of a boss, he kills me, reload, try again until I figure it out.

What I meant was manual save and RELOAD. Like I'm standing in front of a boss, he kills me, reload, try again until I figure it out.
The point is that there are consequences when you die and the frequent autosaving combined with the lack of manual saving is so that there is no way to get around those consequences. Notice that the game autosaves on the first frame of your dying animation, too.

Go back to your casual games you non sequitur :p.

The point is that there are consequences when you die and the frequent autosaving combined with the lack of manual saving is so that there is no way to get around those consequences. Notice that the game autosaves on the first frame of your dying animation, too.

Go back to your casual games you non sequitur :p.

I understand. Like I said, some people feel accomplished by this. But seeing how even though this game has a "multiplayer" component, I still do not consider it a multiplayer title. It's a single player game that to me, just inconveniences you for the sake of saying "this is a hard game". But to each his own.

And I will now go back to playing Minesweeper. The game of ultimate consequence.

I mean, if that's how you want to play you can save-scum by just backing up your save file before you do something dangerous and then reloading if (when) you fail.

I mean, if that's how you want to play you can save-scum by just backing up your save file before you do something dangerous and then reloading if (when) you fail.

Meh. I know they made the game this way for a reason. It's not a big deal to me, I just don't find it appealing which is why I posted about it in the thread hehe.

After a decade of Everquest corpse runs in a real multiplayer game, the frustration of death penalties in a single player game is just not appealing to me. I still enjoy "full loot pvp" gamestyles offered in games like DayZ out there but I feel less frustrated being killed by a skilled player in a multiplayer game than I do dying and wasting a fair amount of time to AI in a single player type game.

I actually feel pretty much the same way as delita about Dark Souls, and that's really the main reason I can't get into it. I can see how some people may like that style of gameplay, but to me it's just frustrating and feels like a waste of my limited gaming time.

Dying, having to run back to wherever to get your souls (through all the same enemies again, which of course respawn every time you die or use a fire) and then hoping to be able to touch the bloodstain without being murdered yet again is not really a fun gameplay mechanic to me. I like the feeling of the combat and the world in general in Dark Souls, but mechanically it is just annoying.

Honestly, mastering the combat with various enemies and having to learn their patterns to beat them seems challenging enough. Throwing in the frustration of the dying mechanic is just a kick while you're already down.

Dragon age. Everybody raved about this game, and while it was pretty and had a good story line, the NPC control was absolute shit (IMHO). If i wanted to program an AI i would be a game writer, not a player. Either give me decent NPC AI (so i don't have to fuck around with them) or give me the ability to play solo. Dragon age gave me neither option, and so i had to babysit my NPC's, and even then they were moronic at best. Which relegated what could have been an awesome game (some people obviously loved it), into something i found nearly impossible to play. And trust me a tried. I researched how to set up my NPC's, i even copied the scripts directly from other peoples "this is the best script for XYZ character." None of it made the game fun to play. Which is sad, because it looked like an amazing story, ruined by (again, my opinion) a stupid decision to make the NPC's both necessary, and fucking hard to use.

Lol Dark Souls has beaten you guys. I love that game just for that.

My pick is Bioshock Infinite. Game just feels like absolute shit, clunkiest game ever made and the story is not good despite what many will lead you to believe. The game engine feels like it's 15 yrs old.

Darksouls - the only part, that maid it "cool" is it's difficulty. Gameplay is clunky, story is barely keeping up
Eve - if I want to play Excell, I'd just take extra hours at office
Battlefield (or any other MP shooters) - because I'm tired of the most of players and their elitist hardcore attitude, along with 12 years old mentality
CoD for sucky SP story, short campaigns,
Madden, NHL - American sports really have no interest for me. American football is boring, and is nothing compared to what real woarld call football :)
Bioshock Infinite - bad story, crap combat, never understood why people loved that female companion
Total War: Shogun - guess never enjoying Japanese settings, was no fan of samurai and their culture. I'd love rather refreshed Medieval, and not this
Skyrim - very bland story, no choices regarding guilds like in Morrowind - yu can join each and everyone and be dark mage master of assassins... and still not have any NPC reacting to your achievements

Lol Dark Souls has beaten you guys. I love that game just for that.

My pick is Bioshock Infinite. Game just feels like absolute shit, clunkiest game ever made and the story is not good despite what many will lead you to believe. The game engine feels like it's 15 yrs old.

Actually it's the broken port that beat me. Can't play a game if it won't let you play it properly.

Dragon age. Everybody raved about this game, and while it was pretty and had a good story line, the NPC control was absolute shit (IMHO). If i wanted to program an AI i would be a game writer, not a player. Either give me decent NPC AI (so i don't have to fuck around with them) or give me the ability to play solo. Dragon age gave me neither option, and so i had to babysit my NPC's, and even then they were moronic at best. Which relegated what could have been an awesome game (some people obviously loved it), into something i found nearly impossible to play. And trust me a tried. I researched how to set up my NPC's, i even copied the scripts directly from other peoples "this is the best script for XYZ character." None of it made the game fun to play. Which is sad, because it looked like an amazing story, ruined by (again, my opinion) a stupid decision to make the NPC's both necessary, and fucking hard to use.
Now that you explain it that way, I completely agree with this. I loved Dragon Age a lot when I started playing it, but when I got half way through the game I just stopped and couldn't put my finger on it. Now I realize it was my frustration with having to babysit my NPC party because they just started dying due to being mindless. And this was playing on Normal difficulty.

Now that you explain it that way, I completely agree with this. I loved Dragon Age a lot when I started playing it, but when I got half way through the game I just stopped and couldn't put my finger on it. Now I realize it was my frustration with having to babysit my NPC party because they just started dying due to being mindless. And this was playing on Normal difficulty.

Really? Once you have a healer the game is pretty much easy mode. I enjoyed the story much more than the gameplay, however

MMO's are so tedious, have no real story to get hooked into, not possible to become attached to any characters. Not to mention the lame PvE and heavily restricted PvP in most games. I'd rather play Call of Duty even though Cod has been garbage since CoD 4.

I haven't been able to get in to or enjoy a CoD game since 1. I really didn't like 2 very much, mostly because of the regenerating-health cover system, which at the time I was sure was a fad that wouldn't last. :(

Even if they are far from realistic, I enjoy health bars and medpaks as a gameplay mechanic far more than duck-n-cover shooting.

On the indie side, Spelunky is a game I have heard a lot of praise for, but I'm just not feeling it, despite several hours of attempts.

On the indie side, Spelunky is a game I have heard a lot of praise for, but I'm just not feeling it, despite several hours of attempts.

+1. Put about 3 hours into it. The perma death and insane RNG just wasn't my cup of tea.

+1. Put about 3 hours into it. The perma death and insane RNG just wasn't my cup of tea.
Yeah, not the greatest game ever, but I do like being able to do 2 players with controllers. For the price I paid during the summer sale, I really don't have any major complaints. I've paid more for less.

I actually found 2 player Spelunky to be far worse than single player, mainly due to the fact that if you use any kind of throwable you can easily accidentally hit/kill your partner.

I find a lot of people go into Dark Souls with the action game mindset. If you do that the game will destroy you and you wont go back.
It's an Action RPG. Play it like an RPG(i.e. Read everything, talk to everyone(multiple times), explore, explore, explore.)
I made a friend of mine play it, he hated the game the first week, course I made him go in blind, but after I told him to play it like an RPG, he is now all over it and even got DS2 before I did.

The Souls games are made to get in your head. You must approach them differently. Patient, calculated moves is the way. Balls to the wall will kill you every time. Kite, just like in Diablo... Action RPG...

I find a lot of people go into Dark Souls with the action game mindset. If you do that the game will destroy you and you wont go back.
It's an Action RPG. Play it like an RPG(i.e. Read everything, talk to everyone(multiple times), explore, explore, explore.)
I made a friend of mine play it, he hated the game the first week, course I made him go in blind, but after I told him to play it like an RPG, he is now all over it and even got DS2 before I did.

The Souls games are made to get in your head. You must approach them differently. Patient, calculated moves is the way. Balls to the wall will kill you every time. Kite, just like in Diablo... Action RPG...

Did all of that, the game just didn't appeal to me. That story was too dull for my tastes, so that may have killed the RPG aspect for me.

Did all of that, the game just didn't appeal to me. That story was too dull for my tastes, so that may have killed the RPG aspect for me.

Dull, as in non-existent, or dull as in just didn't like it?
The world is plenty deep, if you go looking for it. The game does not feed you the story by any means, you get it from exploring.

If you just didn't like the narrative... have you played the Final Fantasy games? Fine novels, centerpieces of 21th century entertainment...

I am so kidding...

Not sure I understand this. You say "play it like an RPG", but combat is a fairly significant and deep aspect of the game. You are going to have to use combat a LOT, it's not just all wandering around reading story and exploring.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the story, the world, or the combat. The issue for me is the whole aspect of death and how it feels like a chore every time you die (which you do a LOT of in this game). As if dying often isn't enough, let's punish the player by making them lose all their souls, respawning all the enemies between them and their death spot which they have to go grab. And if they fail to grab it the first time...tough tits, you lose all of your souls.

I mean, sure, you can get the souls back by grinding enemies, but that's what it boils down to for me...a pointless grind.

Again, not saying the game is bad, just that whole mechanic does not appeal to me at all. I've really tried to get into it...put at least 10 hours into the game. I just can't do it.

Not sure I understand this. You say "play it like an RPG", but combat is a fairly significant and deep aspect of the game. You are going to have to use combat a LOT, it's not just all wandering around reading story and exploring.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the story, the world, or the combat. The issue for me is the whole aspect of death and how it feels like a chore every time you die (which you do a LOT of in this game). As if dying often isn't enough, let's punish the player by making them lose all their souls, respawning all the enemies between them and their death spot which they have to go grab. And if they fail to grab it the first time...tough tits, you lose all of your souls.

I mean, sure, you can get the souls back by grinding enemies, but that's what it boils down to for me...a pointless grind.

Again, not saying the game is bad, just that whole mechanic does not appeal to me at all. I've really tried to get into it...put at least 10 hours into the game. I just can't do it.

The combat is the "duh" part of the game. I don't need to talk about that. It's obvious you need to get the combat down.
The death mechanic.. You're not supposed to go back for souls. That's a waste of time. Get through the area to the next bonfire. You level up when you defeat bosses and collect souls as items. Item collecting takes priority over any souls you have. If thats really the issue dont ever hold anymore than 1 -2 levels worth of souls at once. You get so many later in the game, if you are really trying to grind...

MOBAs. (LoL, DotA(2), HoN, etc) I don't get it. It's like they took everything I loved about RTS games out, left only the crappy bits, and then convinced a bunch of foreign children to play it. The gameplay style and the communities are intolerable. I can understand them existing, but I cannot understand why they have international acclaim and are able to brand themselves an an "e-sport." Why are these popular?

I feel the same way. I really tied to give them a chance, but could not figure out what was supposed to be fun after several hours.

Dull, as in non-existent, or dull as in just didn't like it?
The world is plenty deep, if you go looking for it. The game does not feed you the story by any means, you get it from exploring.

If you just didn't like the narrative... have you played the Final Fantasy games? Fine novels, centerpieces of 21th century entertainment...

I am so kidding...

Dull as in a mixture of both. It just never caught my attention.

I think the only FF I played was 7 when it came out years ago? I'm normally not a difficult gamer to please, I just didn't enjoy Dark Souls in the slightest. You're still a cool dude though :p

Back