Poor USB transfer rates

ScretHate

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R and my USB transfer rates won't go any higher than 3.5MB/s. Any idea how I can fix this?

An add in USB 3.0 card is about the best you can do without buying a new motherboard that has the onboard USB 3.0 standard implemented.

Without knowing what you are transferring to, and its specs. and what you are transferring from and what else is going on with the machine while you are doing it, its hard to say why you are seeing the speed you are.

Just a USB thumb drive. I get a solid 30MB/s on my other computer, so this has me stumped. I have USB 2.0 enabled in the BIOS.

Sorry for the late reply. Was thinking someone else would comment.

All I can suggest is the latest bios and Intel chipset driver (inf file).

If you wanted to dig into it, you could find out (Windows hardware manager - view hidden devices) what Interrupt the on-board USB hub and ports are using and if there are any conflicts - see resources tab.

If you google "improve USB speed" etc. you will find its a common issue and XP seems to be OK but lots of issues with vista and 7 due to OS options etc.

Lots of stuff to try based on which OS you are using. Also try different ports.

Its just too complicated and nasty, apparently it is a fairly common issue with a mydrid of possbile solutions.

make sure there is nothing else strain your other USB ports, they all share the same bandwidth

Back