Poor performance on 3x 980Ti setup

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
This might not specifically be a Nvidia problem, so I thought I'd open it up to everyone here.

I have a good setup: MSI X99A SLI Plus, [email protected], 64GB DDR-2400, 3x 980Ti EVGA (@ 200/400).

For some reason it just doesn't seem to run as fast as some comparable setups. In fact, it benches, runs games like comparable 2x 980Ti SLI setups.

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/693184

For example, here's my results in Timespy.

This also is evident in gaming where I typically get <10fps+ @ 4k than comparable setups.

Might this have something to do with my motherboard and the fact I'm using a 5820k? MSI is the only X99 manufacturer (that I know of) that lets you do 3-way SLI on this CPU (three 8x PCI slots).

I've already reinstalled Windows multiple times and it doesn't seem to matter.

Any ideas?

You need moar lanes. Get the next chip up.

Linus tested just this, and it showed there was really no difference between 28 vs 40 lanes in 3-way SLI.

The reason I purchased a 5820k was because I got a good deal on it at Microcenter (~$300 at the time). Any suggestions? Maybe it's my motherboard that's the problem, or something else?

Last edited:
This might not specifically be a Nvidia problem, so I thought I'd open it up to everyone here.

I have a good setup: MSI X99A SLI Plus, [email protected], 64GB DDR-2400, 3x 980Ti EVGA (@ 200/400).

For some reason it just doesn't seem to run as fast as some comparable setups. In fact, it benches, runs games like comparable 2x 980Ti SLI setups.

This also is evident in gaming where I typically get <10fps+ @ 4k than comparable setups.

Might this have something to do with my motherboard and the fact I'm using a 5820k? MSI is the only X99 manufacturer (that I know of) that lets you do 3-way SLI on this CPU (three 8x PCI slots).

Any ideas?

You're looking at it wrong. You have to compare scaling by the number of gpus and in that respect you're at the top for your cpu and 3 ti.

Any ideas?
Do you have the SLI bridges installed properly if using flexies? Are you feeding your system enough power (that kind of system needs at least 1kW)? Are you sure your video cards are cool with the CPU overclock? Have you looked at individual GPU usage while gaming? How does it score in Firestrike Ultra?

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10938393

Here are my Firestrike Ultra scores. It could be that I am looking at it incorrectly. My setup scores 21st with similar configurations. I do wonder how others were able to get 1000+ more in Firestrike. It's possible they have better overclocks than I do on both the CPU/GPU. I didn't seem to luck out in that respect- I mistakenly purchased the EVGA cards with modified fans- which aren't good for adjacent slot configurations. They run very hot.

I noticed in games like The Division I only get ~45fps @ 4k even on modest settings.

I'm hoping to upgrade when the next iteration of the 1080 arrives. Hopefully that will be able to handle 4k better in a 2-card SLI configuration than the current 1080 does.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10938393

Here are my Firestrike Ultra scores. It could be that I am looking at it incorrectly. My setup scores 21st with similar configurations. I do wonder how others were able to get 1000+ more in Firestrike. It's possible they have better overclocks than I do on both the CPU/GPU. I didn't seem to luck out in that respect- I mistakenly purchased the EVGA cards with modified fans- which aren't good for adjacent slot configurations. They run very hot.

I noticed in games like The Division I only get ~45fps @ 4k even on modest settings.

I'm hoping to upgrade when the next iteration of the 1080 arrives. Hopefully that will be able to handle 4k better in a 2-card SLI configuration than the current 1080 does.

You need to throw it into the compare app.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/10938393/fs/9370937#

From the above your cpu is faster, high overclock? Clocks don't always show correctly btw.

Your gpus are not working as efficiently as the other setup. That could be because of a lot of factors, heat, throttling, drivers, etc. You'll have to do some analysis on your end to figure out what is holding you back. Also, have you found the efficiency sweetspot for your gpu overclocks? That other system is clocked lower on memory and its working better for that particular system than your 200mhz higher clock. Or the lower memory mhz is offset by the higher core oc? Bottom line is that you are losing a lot of performance somewhere. Find it, that's what benching is all about. :cautious:

You need to throw it into the compare app.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/10938393/fs/9370937#

From the above your cpu is faster, high overclock? Clocks don't always show correctly btw.

Your gpus are not working as efficiently as the other setup. That could be because of a lot of factors, heat, throttling, drivers, etc. You'll have to do some analysis on your end to figure out what is holding you back. Also, have you found the efficiency sweetspot for your gpu overclocks? That other system is clocked lower on memory and its working better for that particular system than your 200mhz higher clock. Or the lower memory mhz is offset by the higher core oc? Bottom line is that you are losing a lot of performance somewhere. Find it, that's what benching is all about. :cautious:

My 5820k is @ 4.3GHz. It's probably the throttling from the heat that's slowing my GPUs down. The cards max out temperature regardless of what I do. I tried multiple configurations- it's probably because I purchased the modified version of the EVGA 980Ti and not the stock one. My mistake.

200/400 is as high as my cards go and remain stable on an overclock. Even on no overclock it maxes out temps.

My 5820k is @ 4.3GHz. It's probably the throttling from the heat that's slowing my GPUs down. The cards max out temperature regardless of what I do. I tried multiple configurations- it's probably because I purchased the modified version of the EVGA 980Ti and not the stock one. My mistake.

200/400 is as high as my cards go and remain stable on an overclock. Even on no overclock it maxes out temps.

Take a big room fan or similar and point it at the gpus, case doors off. Run fans at 85%. See if you can get a higher gscore?

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6317567

Here are my results from a couple of months ago (and it looks to be stock speeds, no GPU overclock). You can see my results are much better. The only thing I can figure that's changed is:

a) Memory upgrade from 16GB to 64GB
b) Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade? (not sure if I did it already)
c) Motherboard bios upgrade

Could the memory be making the difference? Possibly a motherboard bios upgrade?

try downclocking gpu to stock speeds again? Maybe the OC is goobering something up?

I did. About 1500pts slower in Firestrike Ultra.

I'm not sure what's going on. My back went out, but when I'm feeling better I'll put the old ram back in and see what happens. Then I'll try and locate older BIOS for my motherboard and see if that helps.

I did a number of fresh installs of Windows 10 anniversary already. I find it to be much slower on my setup than before the upgrade. It could be that.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6317567

Here are my results from a couple of months ago (and it looks to be stock speeds, no GPU overclock). You can see my results are much better. The only thing I can figure that's changed is:

a) Memory upgrade from 16GB to 64GB
b) Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade? (not sure if I did it already)
c) Motherboard bios upgrade

Could the memory be making the difference? Possibly a motherboard bios upgrade?

a) That's way too much memory to be benching with. It slows you down, forces extra load on the IMC. Look at the comparo, everything is faster months ago. No 64gb memory, check.

d) Your cards are overcooked. Go back to stock and slowly overclock, once you start noticing no gains, back it off a couple notches until you can get some better cooling.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/6317567/fs/10938393

a) That's way too much memory to be benching with. It slows you down, forces extra load on the IMC. Look at the comparo, everything is faster months ago. No 64gb memory, check.

d) Your cards are overcooked. Go back to stock and slowly overclock, once you start noticing no gains, back it off a couple notches until you can get some better cooling.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/6317567/fs/10938393

Probably the memory and the heat. I ran Ultra again with the fans at 100% and scored 11,000. I will swap out the memory and see what happens.

Unfortunately I can use the memory for video editing, so I might have to make the trade off. I might build a new machine just for that.

Better cooling is not an option. I unfortunately it's the modded fans of the EVGA ACX 2.0 cards when placed right next to each other which is causing the excess heat. I have a big case with lots of fans- so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'll have to live with the cards as-is until I get new ones. The 1080Ti probably isn't that far off anyways...

Generally 3x nVidia or AMD cards have piss poor frame times. Look up pcper frame times for 3x cards. Personally I'd sell them and grab a single 1080 or Titan XP. Save yourself a lot of headaches.

Vega showed that 8x PCIe is 14% (IIRC) slower than 16x PCIe over a multitude of games using SLI. It does vary game to game.

Besides that I think everyone else covered other factors...

Generally 3x nVidia or AMD cards have piss poor frame times. Look up pcper frame times for 3x cards. Personally I'd sell them and grab a single 1080 or Titan XP. Save yourself a lot of headaches.

Vega showed that 8x PCIe is 14% (IIRC) slower than 16x PCIe over a multitude of games using SLI. It does vary game to game.

Besides that I think everyone else covered other factors...

4k Gaming with a single 1080 isn't going to be all that great- even two will probably be equivalent (or a little less) than what I have now. I might as well wait for 1080Ti (or whatever the next iteration will be) at this point.

Unless you intended to run this pure bench.... 3x 980Ti makes zero sense.

Yes, you should be waiting for the next top end card. Not even the Ti, I'd say, but the next Titan. Save up. You're looking at ~$3K.

Did Nvidia also stop support for tri/quad SLI For Maxwell?

And to be honest. You are running tri-sli you will always have some kind of issues with heat/games/throttling......It has been this way for years. Basically the only way to stop throttling is to go full watercooling. No other way around it.

I would try to give you advice, but basically you will always have some kind of issue. That is how Crossfire/SLI is.

well one last idea! Make sure to disable the xbox dvr and privacy stuff in the xbox app. I know for CSGO it tanked my FPS and performance. Probably not it, but figured I'd throw it out there just in case. Prior to Win10 Anniv, I never had to do the xbox app deal. Now every install needs it messed with.

Any ideas?

Ditch the 3rd 980Ti, Tri-Sli is not worth the hassle.

Unless you intended to run this pure bench.... 3x 980Ti makes zero sense.

Yes, you should be waiting for the next top end card. Not even the Ti, I'd say, but the next Titan. Save up. You're looking at ~$3K.

While I would love to get a super-high end card like the next Titan, I just can't afford it. So the next Ti (or whatever it is) will be the one I'll end up buying.

Hopefully, two of those cards will offer better performance at 4k than the current 1080 does. What with the high-bandwidth bridges and improved memory, the next gen Pascals should be much improved.

While I would love to get a super-high end card like the next Titan, I just can't afford it. So the next Ti (or whatever it is) will be the one I'll end up buying.

Hopefully, two of those cards will offer better performance at 4k than the current 1080 does. What with the high-bandwidth bridges and improved memory, the next gen Pascals should be much improved.

If you sold all three ti, you'd have 900 to throw at a Titan Pascal. That's 3/4 ths of the way there.

If you sold all three ti, you'd have 900 to throw at a Titan Pascal. That's 3/4 ths of the way there.

Of course when the newer Titan Pascal arrives the value of the 980Tis will be much less. Who knows how much that card will cost.

Hopefully the next generation of cards isn't that far off- maybe 4-6mos.

Of course when the newer Titan Pascal arrives the value of the 980Tis will be much less. Who knows how much that card will cost.

Hopefully the next generation of cards isn't that far off- maybe 4-6mos.

The Titan Pascal is out now, for like 4 months now.

The Titan Pascal is out now, for like 4 months now.

I said the "newer Titan X" in which I meant the next version, and even two 980Tis perform better than a single Titan X, I certainly couldn't afford two. That's why I might as well wait for the next gen version.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for an answer to this or not, but the EVGA X99 FTW can do 3-way SLI (3 8x slots) with a 5820K also, that is what I'm running now. A few have suggested that 8x is slowing you down, but I don't think that is the case. Anyone with something like a 6700K on a Z170 board doing 2-way SLI would also be limited to 8x on each slot, and that is a very popular setup that has been proven countless times to not restrict anything.

I'm running 3x GTX680. I bought two for my old 5Ghz 2500K system when they were new, and brought them over to my 5820k setup when I upgraded. Last year I also found an identical model number card, used, for a price I couldn't pass up. Using the three cards was only intended to be temporary, but the performance in SLI ended up being so good in the games that I play that I really have not felt a need to replace them yet.

I said the "newer Titan X" in which I meant the next version, and even two 980Tis perform better than a single Titan X, I certainly couldn't afford two. That's why I might as well wait for the next gen version.

There is no next Titan until they announce it thus the next generation could be a year or more. Referring to it like its just there is a joke. And I call BS to 2x 980ti beating a TXP. Your three are having a hard enough time here. I wouldn't wait. If you wait any longer you will lose most of the value of the ti. You have bad performance because the three are heatsoaking themselves so it rather defeats the point. I would have dumped them long ago and gone for a single TXP. It may not have ultimately higher fps in key sli games, but it will have very high returns across 100% of the games vs 5% with your trisli.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/351520/spy/693184

Last edited:
There is no next Titan until they announce it thus the next generation could be a year or more. Referring to it like its just there is a joke. And I call BS to 2x 980ti beating a TXP. Your three are having a hard enough time here. I wouldn't wait. If you wait any longer you will lose most of the value of the ti. You have bad performance because the three are heatsoaking themselves so it rather defeats the point. I would have dumped them long ago and gone for a single TXP. It may not have ultimately higher fps in key sli games, but it will have very high returns across 100% of the games vs 5% with your trisli.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/351520/spy/693184

A Pascal would perform considerably better in a DX12 benchark over a 980Ti. Considering most games are still <DX11 there's little reason for me to upgrade at this point.

I will wait.

Just getting back to where I was before would be good. I swapped back to my old 16gb DDR4 and I am still getting the same results. So it must be something else. Either motherboard BIOS upgrade or drivers.

I will try swapping card positions again and see what happens.

I sold both my 980ti's and upgraded to a single Titan XP. Granted single screen 4K gaming took a slight hit for those games that fully support SLI, but now VR gaming (which is what I prefer these days) got a huge performance boost... and then there's no more SLI headaches to deal with. Selling 3x 980ti cards now would probably get you within $500 of a Titan XP. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but that's me. 3x SLI is an exercise in impracticality as the performance scaling really becomes crappy after 2 cards and so many games see little if any benefit going from a 2 to 3 SLI setup. A 1080Ti might surface sometime next year, but those 980ti's are depreciating daily. I'd at least sell one now while you can still get something for it!

You're running Tri-SLI... and it's no longer supported (at all) outside of benches like 3DMark. That's what changed. Sell the third card while it's still worth ~$275. It's worthless to you.

The OP still thinks "two 980Tis perform better than a single Titan X" so there's apparently no way he'll see otherwise.

I thought triple SLI was depreciated as it had minimal performance improvements over 2x?

Back