Poll, what brand you choosed for your main rig?

what is your main rig psu?

• Enermax

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • Seasonic

Votes: 59 16.3%
  • Corsair

Votes: 211 58.3%
  • Thermaltake

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • Antec

Votes: 40 11.0%
  • Silverstone

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Cooler master

Votes: 11 3.0%

• Total voters
You can't compare a silver with a gold, no need to argue.

Yes you can, as Zero82z noted, efficiency is not the only factor that determines PSU quality. In fact, efficiency really is a minor thing to worry about in the grand scheme of PSU hardware. More important aspects are voltage regulation, ripple suppression within ATX specifications, amount of amperage on the +12V rail, capability to actually sustain the rated wattage at 40C to 50C for long periods of times, etc, etc.

And if you still can't figure that out, my god you truly are a fan boy.

Only Seasonics will touch my rigs. I do outfit other computers with Corsairs mostly with the Seasonic rebrands, but a few CWTs

Simmer down now boys, let's not let this become a roaring boil I have to do something about.

Have a Thermaltake W0106RU 700W in my current main rig, running XFire HD4870 for over a year now.
Have a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W in my forever under construction Phenom X6 build. Figured is Paul's rundown of Fermi power supplies said this was OK to run SLI 470's with an OC'd i7 920, it'd be plenty good for my little XFire HD4870's.

I've had my Corsair HX750 for quite some time now and it's been smooth sailing all the way.

Current rig has a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750. My new rig will have a Corsair 950.

Antec for me. Was super close to getting a Seasonic S12II 520W but I managed to snag a brand-new EA650 for $50 (this was when the Seasonic was still going for $80).

previous to my current corsair, i used enermax
- dont think i will be needing more than the hx-1000 for a while

I've only used Antecs in my builds because they usually offer really awesome price/performance.

First was a True Power 430w that simpy did what it was asked and never had an issue with it. I then got a Smartpower 500w that died after 2.8years and that kinda made me rethink Antec but I RMA'd it and got back a Neopower 500W unit that was flawless. Handled an i7 @ 4.2ghz and a 4870 perfectly but I sold it to make way for my curent TP 750w which has been a dream.

I own a Corair HX620 for my back rig and Corsair TX650 for my main rig. I m about to upgrade my back rig to high end quad and that time I will consider an 800+W PSU, it might be either Corsair or XFX. But after reasing this thread, I realzed that Sea Sonic PSUs are good to. I will choose one of these 3 depending on the price

I own a Corair HX620 for my back rig and Corsair TX650 for my main rig. I m about to upgrade my back rig to high end quad and that time I will consider an 800+W PSU, it might be either Corsair or XFX. But after reasing this thread, I realzed that Sea Sonic PSUs are good to. I will choose one of these 3 depending on the price
Why would you get an 800W+ PSU just for a quad-core machine? Unless you'll be running two or three high-end GPUs, that would be a complete waste.

Why would you get an 800W+ PSU just for a quad-core machine? Unless you'll be running two or three high-end GPUs, that would be a complete waste.

Because my next big upgrade will be a PC that can play most of the games at 2560 X 1600 resolution. For that I need a GPU that should be 50% faster than GTX 480. In order to stretch the legs of such a powerful GPU I might need a powerful quadcore that should be capable of hitting 4.5Ghz on air. So such a powerful configuration might require a PSU having a 750-800 W

Correct me if I am wrong

Last edited:
You're wrong. A 650W PSU will be plenty for a high-end PC with a single video card for the forseeable future, even with overclocking taken into account.

My present rig uses 650W PSU which is powering a my

1) CPU E8400(65W),
2) a mid range GPU,
3) HDD, 2 are WD Cavier Blue and 1 is Cavier Black. and
4) 5 120MM fans so that my internal circuit remains cool

So a Quad Core will require additional 65W and a powerful GPU to run games at 2560 X 1600 might require another 75-100W power

So I thought an 800W might be perfect to run that setup (to be on safer side) if I compare it with my present configuration

Last edited:
My present rig uses 650W PSU with 3 HDD, 2 are WD Cavier Blue and 1 is Cavier Black. So a Quad Core will require additional 65W and a powerful GPU to run games at 2560 X 1600 might require another 75-100W power

So I thought an 800W will be perfect to run that setup if I compare it with my present configuration
Your present PC does not require a 650W PSU, nor does it use 650W of power. My previous comments still stand.

Your present PC does not require a 650W PSU, nor does it use 650W of power. My previous comments still stand.

Your comment is right, but looking at your sig, I lived with this impression that a powerful gaming rig will require a Juicy PSU that can OC something like Core i7 950 to 4.5GHz on air and tame a GPU similar to HD5970 which alone consumes 300W.

My present rig uses 650W PSU which is powering a my

1) CPU E8400(65W),
2) a mid range GPU,
3) HDD, 2 are WD Cavier Blue and 1 is Cavier Black. and
4) 5 120MM fans so that my internal circuit remains cool

So a Quad Core will require additional 65W and a powerful GPU to run games at 2560 X 1600 might require another 75-100W power

So I thought an 800W might be perfect to run that setup (to be on safer side) if I compare it with my present configuration

You could run this rig on quality 350W psu.

Your comment is right, but looking at your sig, I lived with this impression that a powerful gaming rig will require a Juicy PSU that can OC something like Core i7 950 to 4.5GHz on air and tame a GPU similar to HD5970 which alone consumes 300W.
Basing your PSU choices off what I use in my main rig means that you're working off of a faulty assumption. I'm only using a 1kW PSU because I got a really good deal on it. I would be perfectly comfortable running the same machine off a 650W PSU.

Have been running mine with a HX520 for several years now. Just got the X650 from the recent deal at the Egg to replace the aging Hiper on my wife's rig.

I've used well over 100 Corsair PSU's in customer builds - and to this date I've never had a single failure back to me. FWIW, Corsair FTW.

I'm currently running a Seasonic 650. the same one I've had since my first C2D build ~4 years ago :)
If I were building another rig today I'd go with seasonic or corsair. both make some of the best PSU's on the market... Actually Seasonic OEM's for corsair in some of their designs.

Corsair HX1000 FTW!!!! It's powering an i7 920 at 4.0 with 5x WD hd's and an xfx 5870. The fan on the PSU is very quiet, and I've been pushing for a low noise rig. Even my room aircon (on the lowest noise setting) is still louder than my PC. The PSU's been going strong for about 2 years now.

for the performance/price I love my Corsair 950. I previously had a PCP&C 750 but I question their quality now that OCZ builds them

The sticker on the outside matters very little to me its who made it and how well they made it that matters.

But i guess if i had to pick only 1 brand it would be corsair for the kick ass customer support and warranty should i need it.

I'd say get what you can afford with a good brand like Corsair, PCP&C, XFX...

I'm planning my *soon build* with a Corsair 750W with SLI on my mind.

From what I've read, my current OCZ Modxteam 600W is no good for I7 with SLI.

Back