Poll. Do you prefer a glossy screen or an AG coated screen?

Do you prefer a glossy monitor or a monitor with AG coatings?

• Total voters

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
As title,
I'm curious to know what the mass prefer.

Everyone says that is bothered from AG coatings but if this is true, why manufacturer continue to produce ag coated monitors?

I prefer glossy, everything looks much sharper to me. I can control light in my viewing environment so reflections are not an issue.

I don't mind matte with a very light anti-glare coating, but I prefer glossy.

I have a glossy display now and I really notice the graininess that AG brings since I've gotten used to it not being there. Colors also seem to really pop on the glossy while still looking natural. My room is dimly lit and the monitor doesn't face any windows, so reflections aren't much of an issue. Bump the 20wmgx2 up to 1920x1200 and 24" and it would be the perfect display for me.

As PCM said, a glossy display in an office environment could be problematic so that's probably why there are so few on the market.

I prefer glossy or light AG coating, and I configure my lighting around my display (not the other way around). Colors are more vivid and clean, and text is much more clear which is a godsend for word processing and programming. The "sparkle" that accompanies all LG IPS panels is absolutely unacceptable to me for doing any real work.

I have a glossy display now and I really notice the graininess that AG brings since I've gotten used to it not being there.
I feel the same way. I have a mid-2010 iMac next to a much older Apple Cinema Display with a very 'aggressive' anti-glare coating. The Cinema Display has a sort of shimmery quality to it that's fairly unpleasant to me, especially when displaying whites. There may be types of anti-glare coating that don't suffer from this to the same extent, but I'm pretty sold on glossy at this point anyway.

I hate glossy screens. Wonderfully vibrant colors, but the glare kills it for me, especially on laptops.,

I prefer anti-reflective, not anti-glare, like Samsung uses on their displays. Glossy is completely worthless as far as I'm concerned, as is the extremely harsh AG coatings used on most IPS panels today.

Voted AG. I'd prefer slightly less harsh coating if I had the choice but I can live with the AG coating of my ZR24w just fine as it doesn't bother me at all. Would have voted "don't care about it" but I hate glossy so yeah.

I have both

A NEC 20WGMX2 which is like glass and a NEC 2490wuxi which has AG.

Dislike the gloss because I had to set up my whole computer rooom just for that glass monitor.
-Had to buy new window covering with black out shades.
-Move desk facing wall for when shades where open.
-Move lights around.
-wear dark clothing
etc

Basically it's always been a PITA - but it does look good once you've block most lights out. Seems like much higher contrast even though it measures same.

Still prefer AG for logistical reasons.

I prefer a semi-glossy or light AG coating myself. I think most of the criticism of the AG coatings is directed at the heavy coatings used on certain 'professional' displays or other displays designed primarily for office-type use. In office environments there is little you can really do to control the lighting (you get what you're given) so glossy displays are largely impractical.

Yeah and probably dangerous. I've seen people in office blast the brightness so bright to overcome gloss reflections it was like looking into sun.

I much prefer glossy.
.. I design my lighting environment around my display, not the other way around. Yes you have to design your room around it, just like you design a room around your home theatre's display, sound, and seating. Or a photographer designs his studio. I don't mind its well worth it.
.. I have a 46" samsung LED edgelit tv that is glossy, an asus g73jh 17" notebook that is glossy, and I'm soon buying a 27" glossy cinema display for my main monitor. Just keep most lighting lighting adjacent to or behind the display. Forget about banks of overhead fluorescent above and behind you though.
.. I would hate to work in an ultrabright fluorescent office environment. In fact I'd prob want to get non-corrective auto-shading glasses if I had to. That kind of lighting is just rude.
..You really shouldn't bathe your monitor in light if you want the image to look good. In fact some really high end pro monitors come with visors/hoods for that reason.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/LaCie_LCD_Monitors/b/307/c/1876

http://phoneshop.co.za/store/media/...06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/2/123456.jpg
.. That said its a matter of preference. Matte isn't horrible. AG can be waxy/crystals and even some so bad as to distort text. Its like having a thin layer of frost(slightly paled and med-to-heavily textured) on the screen. Then you spray some water on the ice and what you see becomes so much richer, clearer, and yes glossy. I prefer the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glossy makes me want to punch babies and I use my pc in a light controlled home theater. Even with almost no light in the room I can still see my reflection...

The fact that most laptops come with a glossy display is totally fucking retarded.

The fact that most laptops come with a glossy display is totally fucking retarded.

Seriously. Every try using a glossy laptop outdoors? It's retarded. I prefer matte myself.

Should have a choice I agree, whichever you prefer. I'm not going to call people retarded for preferring one thing over another though. Whether forcing over aggressive AG on most of the current crop of high rez ips, or glossy on laptops is wrong. Should have different model suffixes with different coatings for sure.

... edit -- I haven't looked into it much but you can buy anti-glare coatings for screens after market... however you can't remove anti glare coatings from screens that come that way without a lot of trouble, risking damage, and voiding warranty.

Last edited:
glossy on laptops and monitors with glossy bezels is just irritating, but so is very harsh AG coatings. Somewhere in between, there is a good compromise.

Glossy makes me want to punch babies and I use my pc in a light controlled home theater. Even with almost no light in the room I can still see my reflection...

How about that fact they come with like 150 nits and you can't see shit in daylight anyway? Or the worst TNs imaginable?

Laptops are a disaster.

I had to spend $1400 to get a decent one and it wasnt even a laptop but a tablet with a 450nit IPS outdoor viewable display. ($320 option)

I voted coated because I like my house lit up with sunlight. Glossy is one major PITA in that scenario. Otherwise if you live in a dark room, Glossy looks great.

But really, I think the matte looks great too.

I know why people who have heavy ag coatings don't want it anymore, but why you don't want glare screen?

What are the cons in addition to the obvious glare effect? Isn't it better for sharpness?

What are the cons in addition to the obvious glare effect?
I personally feel matte screens are much more film-like for movies, for example, compared to displays with glass or glossy screens. This is the case for me even in a light-controlled environment.

But the glare is the elephant in the room here. I HATE it! Its absolutely ruinous to my experience in front of a screen.

Glossy all the way. Light is easy enough to control. My laptop is a 13" MBP and my main PC has a 27" ACD. Matte screens just look terrible to me now.

All this poll proves is that there are a lot of people who like looking at sand on their screen. Argumentum ad populum for the fucking lose.

Well, my post got deleted for saying pretty much the same.

Basically, AG coating is good for some, but bad for others.

It's good for me though, because I love bright rooms, expecially when the light is natural from windows and sunlight , but when the sun goes down, I still prefer bright ambient light.

And, my deleted post was "I do not need a poll to tell me what I prefer"

I stand by that.

All this poll proves is that there are a lot of people who like looking at sand on their screen. Argumentum ad populum for the fucking lose.

I've owned some very nice matte and some very nice glossy. I personally prefer the matte, but hey man to each their own. No need to insult people for having a different preference than you.

And, my deleted post was "I do not need a poll to tell me what I prefer" I stand by that.

However true it is, it's not even remotely constructive to the discussion. If you don't bother to explain why you feel a certain way, or even say what that way is, don't expect your post to stick around.

Glossy is preferable if:
1) You have no natural light to worry about in your mom's basement.
2) You sleep in a coffin during the day and only come out at night
3) You're vain and enjoy using your monitor as a vanity mirror

Otherwise, AG is Advantageously Gooder.

I prefer Glossy, but my current is AG coated VA and I can live with it.

Glossy is preferable if:

#3 is a real benefit, actually :p

Glossy is preferable if:

LOL.
that just made me laugh so hard i almost spit the OJ!!! :D:D
#2 is fantastic.

AG. Reflections bother me too much. But I can understand why some go for glossy. Generally better sharpness is nice (and some AG is horrendous).

However true it is, it's not even remotely constructive to the discussion. If you don't bother to explain why you feel a certain way, or even say what that way is, don't expect your post to stick around.

Agreed. My feelings were hurt so bad with my precious post getting deleted that I decided to post again, with detail.

This entire thread makes me want to stomp on my laptop and also throw my U3011 down the stairs.

Well, my post got deleted for saying pretty much the same.

Basically, AG coating is good for some, but bad for others.

It's good for me though, because I love bright rooms, expecially when the light is natural from windows and sunlight , but when the sun goes down, I still prefer bright ambient light.

And, my deleted post was "I do not need a poll to tell me what I prefer"

I stand by that.

That is exactly what I was thinking. We had this poll before, the final tally was 100 any AG to 50 glossy.

SnowDog said it best in the old thread. Glossy is fine on a TV, but when sitting close to a computer screen the reflections are just too much.

I have a Dell 2209WA with the so called bad AG coating. For me it is a very minor issue.

Back