• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Point inflation or true ramping?

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
5,775
I just visited hardfolding.com, and made an interesting observation. If you look at the monthly points comparison vs. the monthly WU comparison you'll notice a couple things:

1) OCAU and the [H]orde have increased points production by about 25% over the summer. That's quite a bit, especially for us, what with summer vacation and all.
2) The number of WUs has not increased at nearly the same rate.

On average, our PPWU (points per work unit) have gone up significantly.
So this raises a question (or a few):
Do you think that Stanford is getting a little too loose with the points? Are the bonuses for big WUs or QMDs too generous? Or do you think that the points increase is justifiable?
 
Well if you look at the impact of the QMD's I think you can see where the large % jump came from.. those have a quick turn around time, and good point values...

And if I remeber right they came out around the start of the summer...
 
I think it also helps that we have gotten a rather large influx of new members lately that have been putting up some decent #s as well (I have no idea about OCAU as I can't view their site without registering it seems) As long as more science is being done, I for one am happy to see more points, more borgs, more WU from everyone involved

 
The QMD's without a doubt are the driving force, I think everyone that has the capability to run them does, mostly for the point increase. However, I do believe that once those move beyond the beta stage, into the 125 point range that a few QMD's inhabit, the inflation will drop back down.

You're probably also seeing some of the migration to AMD in that, as more and more people are moving to AMD, and you get the 100% bonus on Tinkers on the AMD side of the fence.

Either way, I imagine it will all equalize itself out in time. :D

 
dont' forget about the large "point dump" about a month ago! that has a major effect of averages/etc/etc/etc


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
Between QMD and the 600 pointers points have become very easy to acquire.

It’s total Work Units that are the actual results of our work and are the answers to the questions.

I count WU’s not points as my level of productivity. :)
 
BillR said:
Between QMD and the 600 pointers points have become very easy to acquire.

It’s total Work Units that are the actual results of our work and are the answers to the questions.

I count WU’s not points as my level of productivity. :)

I agree with one part of this and yet disagree with another.

While the number of WU's getting done is very important; I believe which WU's are done is almost as important. Stanford originally put the points bonus on the 600 pointers and later when the QMD's came around because they were units they wanted back as fast as possible. There was also the factor that they are much more system intensive. I originally heard the points increase was due to needing people to get the units done quick because they had extra significance to Stanford. In a case such as that, I would consider the WU's to be more valuable than the normal WU's. Thus, the reason I have no problem with the points increase on big WU's.

Personally, I don't think we will ever see the end of "extra points" WU's. Even after the current ones are no longer considered as important or are no longer beta. I believe some new WU's will come out to take the place of these and they will carry a higher point value like the current ones.

 
I just started on this project last friday. I'm throwing a few GHz at (over 20 2.8Ghz p4's). currently chewing on 6- 600 pointers. The point will probably add up quick.

 
oakfan52 said:
I just started on this project last friday. I'm throwing a few GHz at (over 20 2.8Ghz p4's). currently chewing on 6- 600 pointers. The point will probably add up quick.


Yeah, that will add up really quick. You'll fly through the ranks with that much production. Congrats and welcome.

 
SmokeRngs said:
I agree with one part of this and yet disagree with another.

While the number of WU's getting done is very important; I believe which WU's are done is almost as important. Stanford originally put the points bonus on the 600 pointers and later when the QMD's came around because they were units they wanted back as fast as possible. There was also the factor that they are much more system intensive. I originally heard the points increase was due to needing people to get the units done quick because they had extra significance to Stanford. In a case such as that, I would consider the WU's to be more valuable than the normal WU's. Thus, the reason I have no problem with the points increase on big WU's.

Personally, I don't think we will ever see the end of "extra points" WU's. Even after the current ones are no longer considered as important or are no longer beta. I believe some new WU's will come out to take the place of these and they will carry a higher point value like the current ones.


I understand what you are saying and I have enough power to go for the big units because like you I agree they are there for a reason.

They all have to be done one way or the other. What I think doesn’t help is the lower powered machines being set up for big units “just for the points” when these very machines could be processing the smaller units thus giving the program a better spread of resources.

Make sense?


 
BillR said:
I understand what you are saying and I have enough power to go for the big units because like you I agree they are there for a reason.

They all have to be done one way or the other. What I think doesn’t help is the lower powered machines being set up for big units “just for the points” when these very machines could be processing the smaller units thus giving the program a better spread of resources.

Make sense?



I'll definitely agree with that. I've got a couple PIII's that could pick up bigpackets that haven't yet. I'd almost hate to see them grab a 600 pointer considering how long it would take for them to process. It's bad enough that a 1 Ghz Duron (w/ SSE) will take almost a week to chew through a 600 pointer.

And I do my share of smaller and/or normal WU's. I've got the dually PII running timeless. ;)

 
BillR said:
I understand what you are saying and I have enough power to go for the big units because like you I agree they are there for a reason.

They all have to be done one way or the other. What I think doesn’t help is the lower powered machines being set up for big units “just for the points” when these very machines could be processing the smaller units thus giving the program a better spread of resources.

Make sense?




Ok, I'll by that somewhat.

On the flip side, ever looked at the deadlines (I know you have). Even the preffered deadlines are insanly long in my opinion.
 
Back
Top