PNY GTX 480 in stock at newegg

I don't hate them.
I'm poking at all the folks who bitched, and are now lining up to buy one.

Didn't we all know deep down inside that this was gonna happen? That is exactly what I've been saying all along. The trash talking will not keep fanboys from buying these up and keeping the stocks empty for months. Happened with MW2, will happen with more things in the future. It's the nature of CHANGE: first resistance, then the realization that resistance is futile.

PNY sucks. GL on warranty support.

How do you like eVGA?

Capture-18.png

I dont understand why people are willing to pay $500 for a card that's barely faster than a $400 5870

1. $100 isn't a lot of money to lots of people?
2. Maybe they see something more there than just fps graphs?
3. The power/heat don't bother them?

Just a few options, we aren't all clones :)

I am just surprised anyone would buy PNY. Their warranty expires after the next gen comes out. XFX and EVGA last as long as the companies exist.

Incorrect... they have changed their warranty as of late last year:

http://www3.pny.com/support/media//...a-bd8a152eb045/XLR8 Warranty - 9-01-09_v1.pdf

I snapped up an eVGA GTX 470 for MSRP ($349), and am cancelling my Fry's preorder since it's already charged/processing for shipment at newegg now :D. I should have gone for quicker shipping... I chose the standard 3-day. I may see if I can call in the morning and have it changed to overnight so it's here in time for the weekend...

Didn't we all know deep down inside that this was gonna happen? That is exactly what I've been saying all along. The trash talking will not keep fanboys from buying these up and keeping the stocks empty for months. Happened with MW2, will happen with more things in the future. It's the nature of CHANGE: first resistance, then the realization that resistance is futile.

You don't have to be a fan to buy a GTX 470/480: they're quick cards for their price points, and in some cases the 480 trounces the 5870 as heatlesssun linked, with the worst-case being around even or 10-15% faster generally. A solid upgrade for the price difference. Also some people play games that make use of PhysX like Batman/Mirror's Edge/etc.

P.S. Yeah it's not that surprising the same people who kept yelling about the GTX 400 series being poor/power hog/etc. suddenly buy it once it's actually available... they just wanted attention and it was a great time for them to flare up and whine when the product first launched.

Because in certain games the 480 kicks the SHIT out of the 5870, not all but where there is a difference the 5870 loses badly:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/25
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/19

Now I know this isn't the norm but still the 480 or 5870 are pretty close most of the time and then you see shit like this and then the 480 scales better so I'll be getting three, will start out with two and then when I get the Asus Rampage III I plan to go to three if I've burned down the house (knock on wood!).

You're also missing some cases like Dirt 2 in true DX11 mode such as this: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-review-15.html or Far Cry 2: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-review-18.html . Look at the graphs with AA enabled at 4x which is the sweet spot... very impressive showings.

Plus, no slow-load bug in BattleField Bad Company 2 from what I hear... it sucked on my 5870, where with my 256GB SSD (a quick model, with TRIM) it would take 30-40 seconds to get into a map during a round and/or map change, leaving me in the dust for getting vehicles or catching the action.

Last edited:
Incorrect... they have changed their warranty as of late last year:

http://www3.pny.com/support/media//...a-bd8a152eb045/XLR8 Warranty - 9-01-09_v1.pdf

I snapped up an eVGA GTX 470 for MSRP ($349), and am cancelling my Fry's preorder since it's already charged/processing for shipment at newegg now :D. I should have gone for quicker shipping... I chose the standard 3-day. I may see if I can call in the morning and have it changed to overnight so it's here in time for the weekend...

You don't have to be a fan to buy a GTX 470/480: they're quick cards for their price points, and in some cases the 480 trounces the 5870 as heatlesssun linked, with the worst-case being around even or 10-15% faster generally. A solid upgrade for the price difference. Also some people play games that make use of PhysX like Batman/Mirror's Edge/etc.

P.S. Yeah it's not that surprising the same people who kept yelling about the GTX 400 series being poor/power hog/etc. suddenly buy it once it's actually available... they just wanted attention and it was a great time for them to flare up and whine when the product first launched.

Also by May there will be like 3 drivers revisions adding performance increases.

As of right now there are the following in stock at Newegg:
EVGA GTX 470
EVGA GTX 480 (normal, base model)
Gigabyte GTX 470

This in stock only for a few minutes to hours is making it so much easier to keep my monies. I would most likely have a 5870 right now if it were not the same way for the last few months.

What would one pair 2 of these babies with?? I'm tossing the idea in my mind to come back to the desktop so i'll need to build fresh around these. Price isint that big of a deal.

Damn! Has times changed in the last 5 years.

My cart at newegg was at $2500 and i still have to add 2 of those 480 cards and hard drives. Glad i still have a custom UFO case.

It would prob be close to $4 grand when all said and done.

I doubt i could sell that purchase to the wife!

Which CPU can overclock close to the top dog and still have the same 12MB cache?

Last edited:
It was back in stock for literally 3 minutes.

Would bet my left one nVidia and partners gave Newegg guidance to trickle them out like this to give the appearance they had more volumes. We'll likely see the same in stock/out of stock flashes next week.

It was back in stock for literally 3 minutes.

Would bet my left one nVidia and partners gave Newegg guidance to trickle them out like this to give the appearance they had more volumes. We'll likely see the same in stock/out of stock flashes next week.

Tinfoil hat party!

So you are saying they get a delivery of a few thousand every day? I am betting they aren't selling but so many every day as he said. Why they won't let you order one and it ship when it gets there is beyond me. Like I don't have anything better to do than refresh the freaking page all day.

I am about to say screw it and wait for both teams refreshes to buy. If they aren't impressive I won't be owning this gen, I have waited this long what is 6 more months. First time I haven't upgraded in years.

Why they won't let you order one and it ship when it gets there is beyond me. Like I don't have anything better to do than refresh the freaking page all day.

Aren't there sites taking pre-orders? Besides you don't HAVE to sit there refreshing the page all day. It's not like you're in line for bread and water here lol.

Tinfoil hat party!

Well, if you have a better idea for protecting youself from nV's mind-control rays, I'm all ears :p

Anyways, got one this morning from Amazon when they were in stock for two minutes. Now, I just need to find a second one for SLI.

So you are saying they get a delivery of a few thousand every day? I am betting they aren't selling but so many every day as he said. Why they won't let you order one and it ship when it gets there is beyond me. Like I don't have anything better to do than refresh the freaking page all day.

I am about to say screw it and wait for both teams refreshes to buy. If they aren't impressive I won't be owning this gen, I have waited this long what is 6 more months. First time I haven't upgraded in years.
Well Newegg does have several warehouses. Most likely they are listing them for sale once one warehouse inventories their stock and puts it on the shelf.

Back