"Plugged in, not charging"

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
So I got a replacement generic ac adapter that fits a dell vostro v13 notebook (really thin, battery is "internal" connected via ribbon)

When I plug it in win7 says "Plugged in, not charging" and it indeed does not charge.

The interenets say remove the battery management from device manager, pull the battery, do the hokey pokey, turn your self around, plug it back in etc. Tried all that in various order, nothing. Updated the bios.

Thing is, it charges just fine while off. If I fully charge it while off then run without the adapter I get a full ~3hr battery life.

I borrowed a friends dell charger, and it does the same thing with it too!

Anyone else see something like this / have any ideas?

Thanks.

Dell laptops are horrendously notorious for their power adapter issues, which is the reason why I won't go back. They fix one issue another show up. Every gen has them somewhere.

Sorry I'm fighting with my old Dell XPS Gen2 right now. Telling me both my dell power adapters aren't 65watt adapters (one is the original that came with it and the other is a 95watt...). It won't power on with it plugged in, and I don't think its powering it either.

how old is machine? a dead battery will generate this error message. I have a vostro 14 that is 4 years old and the battery is just now showing signs of death

had a old sony laptop that did the same thing, replacing the battery with a new one resolved the issue and the machine is currently in vietnam living a very happy life.

when lithium cells reach the end of their life, the chip inside will no longer let the unit accept a charge and windows will report that it is NOT charging.

I have bought many Dells for me and my friends and never had one power adapter die.....

Dell laptops are horrendously notorious for their power adapter issues, which is the reason why I won't go back. They fix one issue another show up. Every gen has them somewhere.

Sorry I'm fighting with my old Dell XPS Gen2 right now. Telling me both my dell power adapters aren't 65watt adapters (one is the original that came with it and the other is a 95watt...). It won't power on with it plugged in, and I don't think its powering it either.

power board issues is the most likely culprit as most Dell laptops can determine if 65W, 95W or 120W adapters are plugged into the system.

power board issues is the most likely culprit as most Dell laptops can determine if 65W, 95W or 120W adapters are plugged into the system.

Is that chip on the board or in the power adapter, one is an older one, the other is hardly used. Any fixes?

I've already replaced the power connector itself on the motherboard and it has good connection (got the one with all the connectors, I think 5? not 4?)

I'm having the same issue on an Acer netbook i got earlier this year and tried all the same internet steps you have, but nothing has worked. I did install battery bar and noticed it wont list some of the times and now my battery wont charge past 59.3% regardless of when it is on or off. I was thinking maybe the battery is just fried and I was going to return it to Acer.

Is that chip on the board or in the power adapter, one is an older one, the other is hardly used. Any fixes?

I've already replaced the power connector itself on the motherboard and it has good connection (got the one with all the connectors, I think 5? not 4?)

the dell adapters have an identifier in them that tells the laptop that they are plugged into what they are. The power board gets that information and then passes it to the BIOS that gives you the message upon machine startup indicating that 65W adapter is not sufficient to run the system if your machine requires a higher wattage adapter. (ie you have a machine with dedicated graphics card). do you have another Dell you can test it with? some of the newer machines do not have a dedicated power board and if that is the case, time for a new mainboard if your adapters test good on another system. The fact hat you have tested 2 adapters and get the same result leans me towards power board issues. what model of laptop is this?.

Oh crap,

I got it for you

Dell battery Meter has charging disabled, to fix this right click power icon in system try and choose dell battery meter, click on the battery life tab, and then uncheck disable battery charging and then click OK and then OK on the screen that pops up. Battery will start charging immediately

Copy, thanks for the information, I'll try tomorrow when I wake up. Much appreciated :D

how old is machine? a dead battery will generate this error message. I have a vostro 14 that is 4 years old and the battery is just now showing signs of death

had a old sony laptop that did the same thing, replacing the battery with a new one resolved the issue and the machine is currently in vietnam living a very happy life.

when lithium cells reach the end of their life, the chip inside will no longer let the unit accept a charge and windows will report that it is NOT charging.

I have bought many Dells for me and my friends and never had one power adapter die.....
The laptop is only about 14 months old. The battery is not "dead" as I mentioned the unit charges just fine while powered off, if I fully charge it (off) then turn it on without the charger I will get a full amount of time/use out of the battery (about 3 hrs)

I dont have a "dell battery meter". I would never run the stock Dell install I reinstalled before even booting the factory install.

But I suppose I can find what software package thats from and install it when I get back to work on Monday, and see what it does.

Thanks.

Do this exactly as listed below AFTER updating your BIOS to the latest one if it isn't already

1. Remove battery from device manager as you did before
2. Power down machine and unplug A/C adapter
3. Reboot on BATTERY POWER
4. Once you have reached the desktop and it has completed any updates, plug in AC adapter.

System tray will reflect that you have plugged in your A/C adapter and that the battery has started charging.

This works for Vista and 7 and this is the solution listed on technet that works

Also, are you getting a windows cannot determine what type of adapter you have plugged in error? if so, replace adapter.

Last edited:
I dont have a "dell battery meter". I would never run the stock Dell install I reinstalled before even booting the factory install.

But I suppose I can find what software package thats from and install it when I get back to work on Monday, and see what it does.

Thanks.

I did a clean install on my Studio 1558 and got it via an update to the system

Back