Plex Hardware Transcoding options

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Let's assume that I don't have a way to ensure that everything plays direct play, and I already know that direct play is the best way to do things and if I can find ways to direct play it's probably better anyway... Just get that out of the way before someone chimes in "Direct Play is better."

For hardware transcoding on the fly with HEVC files transcoded to H.264 for compatibility, which is better out of the two options? I have a GTX 1060 3GB and a Intel i5 8400 using the IGP? Max I'd have two streams running at any time. I have zero experience using Nvenc, but I have used the IGP and it seems to work usually.

My problem is I get a lot of "buffering" slowdowns depending on the file (1080p HEVC is original file). I would think that either should be able to real time transcode HEVC. Is the IGP just too slow? Should I throw in the 1060 3GB? I also have a 2700x and motherboard I could use instead of a Z370/8400 setup if I just used software.

The 1060 is likely to help a bit, mostly because NVENC in Pascal is more advanced than the IGP in Skylake. It's worth trying out.

Well dang, guess I need to update my server software and buy 4 Titans now.

From what I gather there's a sweet spot with a Pascal Quattro card and nvenc if you need a lot of concurrent transcoding and streaming. Sounds like the regular GTX cards can only do two streams at a time. That's plenty for me but if the Intel IGP is just as good I might stick with that.

My problem might actually be the audio not the video. I'm using a smart TV client. I have a Nvidia shield I might try next just to see if it makes a difference.

From what I gather there's a sweet spot with a Pascal Quattro card and nvenc if you need a lot of concurrent transcoding and streaming. Sounds like the regular GTX cards can only do two streams at a time. That's plenty for me but if the Intel IGP is just as good I might stick with that.

There's been a patch out for a while that removes the two stream limit from all cards and it works perfectly. I personally will be getting either the 1650 SUPER which now uses the Turing NVENC or a 1660 with 6GB. I'll also use these cards for some mild gaming too as my Plex server is not dedicated.

https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch

https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch/tree/master/win

In your case, NVENC is better, but I would do it in H.264, in terms of coverage it is more and still I have AMD)
Here's the thing though. If I'm going to transcode anyway, and I already have parts lying around, HEVC has smaller file sizes and all I really need is something powerful enough to transcode on the fly to H.264 for the players that require it. For the life of me, I can't figure out why my Shield TV won't direct play HEVC from a remote location. Maybe I have to go check the settings again.

Here's the thing though. If I'm going to transcode anyway, and I already have parts lying around, HEVC has smaller file sizes and all I really need is something powerful enough to transcode on the fly to H.264 for the players that require it. For the life of me, I can't figure out why my Shield TV won't direct play HEVC from a remote location. Maybe I have to go check the settings again.

Yeah check the settings. To test, Autoplay = OFF, Play smaller files = on, video quality = maximum (for testing purposes but adjust to match your bandwidth after). Also make sure your server upstream bandwidth is fast enough with lots of head room as well as the downstream of the client. Finally, try it with no subtitles first. Most text based subtitles won't for transcoding, but others like PGS will (when eneabled).

from what i remeber that guy from youtube that does al lthe plex stuff says the Quadro P2000 is the gpu to get but its still crazy exspensive.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What about the Nvidia Tesla K10. 8GB Dual GPU? Usually around $60-70?

I wonder about the power draw though. Also how much better is the Turing encoder compared to older gen stuff? I could probably get a GTX 1650 super for $150. I just wonder how much different it would be compared to a 1050 3gb card I already have or quick sync.

I have a k10 in my server using a cooler from eBay. It does transcoding for Plex for multiple users at once. Plus it can transcode 4k.

It does draw more power, but from what I can tell, it does beat out the GTX 1650 in most things.

But I'm no pro.

My Plex server is hosted on a Synology 918+ - the Celeron j3455 has an Intel HD Graphics 500 iGPU and can transcode 3 full 1:1 UHD BR rips without even hitting 50% CPU usage. No clue what the max is, but seeing as I don't transcode when at home, and don't share my server with that many people - this should last me all through till 8K is mainstream.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Funny you say that I just picked up a 1019+. I added a couple cheap NVMe 250 GB drives for cache. So far I really don't notice that much difference from my old setup (which is a good thing).

Yeah, I haven't even bothered with NVMe cache drives on mine yet. They're good OOB set it and forget it solutions IMO.

Many say the difference between UHD 630 and NVENC is negligible at best nowadays. Both aren't as good as sw yet, so IMHO, buy a Celeron and be happy.

Back