Please suggest vid card for my setup

Hello,

My first post here so I might as well get to what's on my mind.

I haven't played an FPS for about 8 years. I"m still running an EVGA 8800 GTS to give you an idea of where I'm at. I'm feeling as if I'd like to get back into it but when I start looking into video card specs and how they relate to my motherboard I really get lost. I could really use some help. I'd prefer to get the best bang for what will work with my current rig and requirements below. I do not need bleeding edge, just something that will perform reasonably well so I can get back into the fun.

I'm running an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, Core i5 2500 with 8 gig of memory. I'm running 1920x1080 and do not need or want to exceed that resolution. What's out there around $300 that would suit my needs?

GTX 1060 would treat you very well. It has similar performance to a GTX 980. If you're willing to go used on craigslist, you could probably pick up a 1070 for around 300. I've seen them for that. That's roughly the performance of a 980ti which is what I run. I game at 1440p and have no complaints with my 980ti.

What about memory on the card? It looks like most are coming in 2 flavors... 3 or 6 gb
6GB no questions asked, the 3GB is a different part altogether (10% fewer shaders) and you'll want the 6GB as games are becoming VRAM-intensive again.

Im wondering what youre going to do with this machine? Just play games ? if so will the rest of your system do well with it?
My question why a newer vid card when every thing else is a bit dated? Have you considered just updating everything?

Im wondering what youre going to do with this machine? Just play games ? if so will the rest of your system do well with it?
My question why a newer vid card when every thing else is a bit dated? Have you considered just updating everything?

I'm just not ready for a new build. My days of building a new computer every 2 or 3 years are long behind me. Right now I use it mostly for photos in LIghtroom and Steinberg Cubase. All the software is dated just a little after the time of this build and runs perfect. Basically I'd just like to get a few of some of the more recent FPS and see how they look on this machine with an updated vid card.

Id say a 6gb 1060 (see if you can see one with a rebate, I got mine for ~ 235 shipped) or save a little money and pick up a used gtx 970 which is almost as fast.
I'm not a fanboy I promise, but I'm gonna go against the RX 480 suggestion. Pretty fast cards but they're power hogs and also put out heat.

I'm just not ready for a new build. My days of building a new computer every 2 or 3 years are long behind me. Right now I use it mostly for photos in LIghtroom and Steinberg Cubase. All the software is dated just a little after the time of this build and runs perfect. Basically I'd just like to get a few of some of the more recent FPS and see how they look on this machine with an updated vid card.

sounds reasonable. Dont think I would upgrade everything either.

I just did my first upgrade after 5 years but it was very much needed.

Just throwing it out there as the rx 470s are in the 130 to 160 AR range amd are a hell of a bang for the buck, but the 1060 looks like a great card too.

Back