• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please suggest a DP cable that works!

Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
14
Long story short: I am looking for a DisplayPort cable (6ft) that will work with an Asus VG248QE to an xfire Sapphire Vapor-X 7970. Available in Canada preferably.


Explaination: My center of 3 monitors is my only DisplayPort and it quit detecting DisplayPort input after a year. I ordered another certified DP cable from Amazon.ca, and continued to have no detection. I also tried a Monoprice cable that I use to connect my laptop to my TV and it would not detect input to the monitor.
So I RMAed the VG248QE and apparently it is working fine. Asus said they used a "E164571 AWM - STYLE 20276 - BIZLINK Technology" DP cable, which is only available from sketchy ebay sellers, and is not even DP certified.

Does anyone use a DisplayPort cable for their VG248QE? Which one works for you?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't comment on your monitor but I had constant problems with every DP cable I ever purchased.

I found out that only Accel has full and actual DP certification, I have no idea if any other company has it now but that was the case about a year ago.

You have to be wary of any cable that doesn't have actual certification because there is a conductor on the plug that is supposed to be disconnected, this pin is for power to be supplied to a connected device, for example, a phone, and must have a different, non DP connector at one end (e.g. MHL to displayport), the purpose of which is to charge or power the device connected to the monitor but many cable manufacturers have connected the pin at both ends of DP to DP cables making them "faulty".

I had to order my Accel cables from Australia (I'm in New Zealand) but after switching I hardly ever have issues like I used to, once in a blue moon my monitor drops down to 640x480 but it hasn't happened in months.
 
Don't know if it helps you in CA but I've always bought whatever Monoprice sells. Had one go bad out of a half-dozen but they are dirt cheap, so... I doubt they are "certified" but they have worked for me on various HP/Dell/NEC/Viewsonic and Auria 27" displays.
 
Don't know if it helps you in CA but I've always bought whatever Monoprice sells. Had one go bad out of a half-dozen but they are dirt cheap, so... I doubt they are "certified" but they have worked for me on various HP/Dell/NEC/Viewsonic and Auria 27" displays.

It is completely dependent on what combination of device you have.

Apparently nvidia cards can cope with bad cables but only current gen AMD cards can cope with bad cables. This is only because the community brought the issue to light, AMD had no reason to believe bad cables were saturating the market.

TBH I will never buy an un-certified cable again regardless of functionality purely on principle. The DP standard was made to be relatively open and inexpensive and the cable manufacturers basically fucked us over by not certifying their cables and making them out of spec.
 
I guess to be specific I've always used miniDP -> DP cables, not full size on both ends (Maybe that makes a difference?) But the cheapies have worked for me with miniDP on Radeon 5770, 5870, and 6870 cards.
 
The 15 foot DP-to-DP (full size both ends) from CableWholesale.com worked for my Dell UP2414Q 4K monitor, fed by my NVIDIA Geforce 670 card. The model number is 10H1-60115. Cost was about $11 USD, plus $11 USD shipping to CANADA.

EDIT: The 15 foot miniDP-to-DP didn't work with that monitor - the cable looked too thin, and of course it couldn't support 4K@60hz properly.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top