Please recommend 32GB DDR3 sticks for my Gigabyte mobo

Chevy-SS

Limp Gawd
I have a 10-year old Gigabyte mobo GA-H87-D3H, running Win 7 Pro 64-bit. It is a great computer for my uses (no gaming). But only has 8GB RAM in one stick. I would like to upgrade to 32GB RAM, but unsure of exactly what parts to order. Should I get 2 sticks of 16GB, or 4 sticks of 8GB? And I'm confused about all the tech numbers and acronyms. I'm a car guy, not a computer whiz. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Link to main Gigabyte web site info on the mobo here: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-H87-D3H-rev-1x#ov

Couple of pics with info:
ddr3-22.jpg

ddr3-12.jpg

IIRC DDR3 desktop DIMMs never went higher than 8 GB, so if you need 32 GB total what GoldenTiger said.

Though 32 GB seems like a lot if you're not gaming or doing anything like audio/video, graphics, etc. that chews through RAM. Basic web/internet and office-type stuff needs no more that 16 GB. Maybe just buy another single 8 GB DIMM and save some cash?

EDIT: Get 4x 8gb ddr3-1600 sticks and be happy :).

IIRC DDR3 desktop DIMMs never went higher than 8 GB, so if you need 32 GB total what GoldenTiger said.

Though 32 GB seems like a lot if you're not gaming or doing anything like audio/video, graphics, etc. that chews through RAM. Basic web/internet and office-type stuff needs no more that 16 GB. Maybe just buy another single 8 GB DIMM and save some cash?
Yes to both of these. Looking at the support page on the motherboard it supports a max of 32GB, which would indicate the largest single DIMM would be 8GB. 16GB DIMMs will more than likely be unsupported.

Yes to both of these. Looking at the support page on the motherboard it supports a max of 32GB, which would indicate the largest single DIMM would be 8GB. 16GB DIMMs will more than likely be unsupported.
Some desktop & HEDT boards have support for non-standard and expensive DDR3 16GB DIMMs, but other than that it's max 8GB per DIMM. I have an old Socket 2011 board that will support those non-standard DIMMs, but they're so expensive I'd be better off just getting a new proc, board and ram. I built a new main rig years ago, but I still have that old socket 2011 rig around, mostly because it has 64GB ram and is still a useful test mule for certain types of programming stuff.

At any rate on a DDR3 machine just fill all the slots with 8GB DIMMs.

Back