• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please help with upgrade to Sandy Bridge

Quickstrike

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Messages
71
So, I have decided that I want to buy a :

-2600k CPU

&

-Asus P8P67 PRO MB

that much I know..

I'm going to keep the ASUS 5850 Direct CU video card, Klipsch 5.1 Ultra speakers, X-25M 80GB SSD, Cooler Master HAF 932 case, & NEC FP2141-SB monitor from my previous build.

I was originally looking to buy 16 gigs of ram - since I often hit the ~7 gig mark when working in photoshop + having multiple google chrome tabs open.
The problem is, I don't want my memory choice to hinder O/C potential of the 2600k - so 8 gigs of ram should be sufficient.

Am I correct in believing this? Will I have a better chance of hitting the ~5.0GHZ mark if I go with 8 gigs of ram vs. 16?

I haven't had much luck overclocking my B3 Q6600, so this time around I would like to piece together a system with overclocking in mind.

Regarding my Corsair HX620W PSU.. should I think about upgrading this yet?

What heatsinks should I consider?


Thanks for the help.
 
I
The problem is, I don't want my memory choice to hinder O/C potential of the 2600k - so 8 gigs of ram should be sufficient.

Am I correct in believing this? Will I have a better chance of hitting the ~5.0GHZ mark if I go with 8 gigs of ram vs. 16?
I'm assuming you're referring to 2x4GB VS 4x4GB correct?

If so, in the past, you generally had a better chance of a higher CPU OC with two sticks of RAM rather than four. With that said, that wasn't always the case since if you ran your RAM at its rated RAM speeds while overclocking the CPU, you could still maintain a very high OC with four sticks of RAM. Since with Sandy Bridge, RAM overclocking isn't necessary at all, theoretically you should be able to hit the 5Ghz mark with 16GB of RAM.

Regarding my Corsair HX620W PSU.. should I think about upgrading this yet?
Nah, not really. It's old but shoould still be able to hold out for another year or two.
What heatsinks should I consider?

I recommend this:
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
 
Neither.

Save yourself some money and go with one of these. Lower voltage is more important than tighter timings, especially if you plan on overclocking.
 
Neither.

Save yourself some money and go with one of these. Lower voltage is more important than tighter timings, especially if you plan on overclocking.

I agree. The extremely pricey G.Skill ram the OP listed needs 1.6V to run at its advertised speed and timings. The expensive Corsair Vengeance does run at 1.5V at rated speed and timings, but in these newer CPUs there is virtually no performance difference between 8-8-8 and 9-9-9 at this DDR3-1600 speed.
 
Thanks for the help!

I ended up ordering this:


Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ
$329.99

Noctua NH-D14 LGA775/1156/1366/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler
$89.99

ASUS P8P67 Pro ATX P67 LGA1155
$189.44

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
$103.98
 
Is it normal to get a "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." error after upgrading a computer?

I was originally going to reformat immediately after the upgrade, but I have a few things I forgot to back up.

Should I just go through the system repair process (by inserting the Windows 7 DVD)? Or is there a quicker/simpler method to fixing this problem?



Thanks.


EDIT: Probably best just to edit my post, rather than bumping the topic back to the top.
Got it working. Seemed to be a problem with the Vista Multi-Boot Loader (I installed Windows 7 on another drive without uninstalling Vista).
I ran a few commands in the command prompt [accessed through Windows 7 Install Disc].
 
Last edited:
Is it normal to get a "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." error after upgrading a computer?
Yes and no.

With older Windows OSes, that was normal. Windows 7 is a significantly more robust than past Windows OSes when it comes to straight up moving to a different CPU+mobo setup. With that said, there's still a chance that Windows 7 may encounter an error or two during such a hardware swap.

Should I just go through the system repair process (by inserting the Windows 7 DVD)? Or is there a quicker/simpler method to fixing this problem?
Just do a Repair on theWindows installation and you should be fine.
 
Just set the turbo to 50x auto

testku.png


Here it is at idle

idle.png



Do the temps seem high for a D14 setup? Room temp is ~19C.
I think it should be idling closer to 20C :confused:.

4.6Ghz avg's in the high 60C range @ full load.

Soo much faster than my Q6600 [but I was never able to o/c it like you g0 stepping guys can/could].
Bad Company 2 used to stutter all the time, now it is very smooth.
Day of Defeat Source used to drop to ~40fps during heavy grenade battles. Now it doesn't dip below 250fps.
 
Ambient temperatures do influence the temperatures of a PC.
 
Back
Top