Please help with partial rebuild

Zohar78

[H]ard|Gawd
Im looking to rebuild part of my computer. Im going to use my power supply, video supply and case, from the previous build. so far i need the cpu, mobo, ram and hard drive. Im leaning towards the intel 4670k, wd 2gb black, dont know about mobo and ram. Ram wise would like 16gb of ram. but if people think 8 gb would do ill try it. Mobo wise, i have no clue.. budget is 400 to 600 for this stuff... Im pretty firm on cpu, it looks to be the best bang for buck on the middle level.

Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Although the 4670K isn't that good of a choice since the 4690K exists.

Sorry about that.. appreciate your time to guide me.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
It will be for gaming.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
400 to 600

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Columbia SC

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc.
Motherboard, Cpu, ram and harddrive, Mobo and ram, mainly because the mobo choices looks to be unlimited almost.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model. pretty much everything outside of the four parts i listed from previous build, though power supply that i want to use (corsair cx800 watts or somthing like that) could be bad...

6) Will you be overclocking? I try to build/design my systems around that, but its not a hard requirement. it the parts allow i will, if they dont, im not upset about it.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it? 24 inch 1080p, though i want to upgrade to 2560p or multi screen gaming.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? well was planning on this like next month...

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Hmm.. this is tough.. it loks like pretty much any midlevel motherboard will have the features i will/need use. currently running AMD graphics and probably stick with them as long as they are competitive. Crossfire is a plus though, im not sure i would ever take advantage of it. Never did with current crossfired capable board.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? using vista 64bit, but planning on getting windows 10. and not part of budget

Harddrive: im leaning towards the wd black 2gb. I do plan on going to a solid state as funds allow. Im leaning towards the 2gb black because of warranty, performance and black series seems to be one of the better reliable series drives, until i can get the a SSD. Until then the 2gb black would be my main. I got a wd 640 black thats going on 56 years or so as a main thats been phenomenal.

For video card, I have a HIS 6850 ice version that is basically oc to 6870. I do plan on upgrading it later in the year or next year.

Im trying to offset some cost by upgrading cpu/mobo one year, and gfx next.
typically with parts i go for the midlevel bang for the buck that allows overclocking. Not always the best in each category, but genereally solid and performs well.

Currently i have an intel q8200 with gigabyte ud3, 4gbs or ram, his amd iceq 6850., so practically anythign is an upgrade...

Could you double check what PSU you have? If you do have one of the Corsair CX series PSUs, it basically means a new PSU for you.

Also, what case are you reusing?

As far as the hard drive goes, generally the WD Black drives aren't worth it. Especially for those with lower budgets. The longer warranty is nice but not worth the extra cost by itself. Not to mention that while the Black drives are faster than some regular hard drives, you really won't notice that extra performance and SSDs will continue to outperform them.

power supply is a corsair tx850.

blast i didnt think about it, but yeah probably will have to buy a new one too.. The same time i built the system. so 5 to 6 years old. oh vey!

heheh.. overkill. i dont think i used anymore than 400 watts of it

thankyou for catching that..

Well you have a TX850 so you don't have to get a new PSU. Now what about the case?

Case is an oldie but goldie.. cheiftec dragon midtower. so decent room...

Case is an oldie but goldie.. cheiftec dragon midtower. so decent room...
Hmm...not by today's standards.

Here's what I recommend instead:
$239 - Intel Core i5-4690K CPU
$132 - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI Intel Z97 Motherboard
$63 - Crucial Ballistix BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$100 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
$80 - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
---
Total: $614 shipped.

I highly recommend upgrading your case when you upgrade your GPU. In addition, you will also need to buy a 3rd party HSF in order to overclock. If you're 100% sure that you won't be overclocking, let me know now and I can readjust the build as the above build is meant for overclocking.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks...

I like to upgrade it, but it will be a while. had 2 weeks of bad luck (tranny in truck broke, pulled muscle and missed a day of work, my dog had to get 3 surgeries and then found out he has cancer..) arg.. ill be lucky to even scrap up this in the next 3 months now.

Got a bonus at work. Woot woot. New egg has mobo on sale right now. Quick question about the ram. Cars 9 latency 1600 ram vs. Higher speed ram. Right now the munchkin blackline c9 kit is 19040 or so. Should I try for the faster ream even if its c10?

CAS 9 DDR3-1600 is plenty. You really don't see any advantages in faster RAM except in synthetic benchmarking.

Ah.. thanks good sir for you time. My old computer mainly kicked the bucket so using phone and jumped on my cousins, computer. im looking at Newegg right now with 475 bucks.
basically Gigabyte gaming 5 mobo for 129.99, intel 4690k for 225, and Mushkin 2x8gb blackline cas 9 for 105.

Main reason for mobo is its decent price and has a pretty good onboard audio. Hopefully I got the funds to get a 1 tb blue green western digital drive. if not I may try either eat peanut butter/jelly sandwiches a bit more for a month or drop to 8gb ram to get it. though I don't really want to split dual channel kit or is that still a factor anymore? I try to build around some overclocking, but it looks like this build will be to get stability fast so default clocks to get caught up in my studies for work, then wehen caught up I can spend a weekend tinkering with overclockabilty.

Im thinking in about 3 to 6 months, ill buy a ssd and windows 10, and hopefully new graphics cards. this way I split up some of the cost of a new system.

Dual-channel doesn't really matter. With that said, $105 for 16GB of RAM is an awesome deal on that much RAM.

well you wont believe what i did... since my computer was so old, and when i went to buy the ram and mobo, they were off sale, i went ahead and bought an alienware alpha. while no, its not perfect, but it will suffice for all my computer needs for a bit, while giving me a rock stable system that i wont be tinkering with constantly. this way i can start a slow upgrade to get all my other stuff (ssd, monitor, case, and OS) up to par. Plus, it gives me a small system that i can take when i go out of town or friends house which is what finally killed my old system.

Back