• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please help very frustrated

Mj23foreva

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
112
So I decided to upgrade my CPU and Graphics card. I had a E6300 and a 7900GTO and upgraded to a Q6600 and a 4850.

When I first got the Q6600 I couldnt keep it from overheating when overclocking. Then I went and bought a Sunbeam CCF. The sunbeam is a huge Bi@tch to install. I cant get it perfectly centered on my CPU because my NB is semi blocking it. I also think I might have messed up my Mobo because of how rough I was treating it.

Anyway, I loaded into Windows after installing my sunbeam and noticed my temps dropped almost 10C which is great. Except whenever I tried to run a program my comp would just freeze. I kept trying to reboot but gradually it even stopped booting into windows and then couldnt even boot to bios.

So I thought maybe I messed up my CPU by being a little to orough. So I switched back to my E6300, didnt help at all. My computer would load for 15 seconds max and would just freeze up...even in BIOS!! Needless to say I couldnt even get into windows.

I sort of narrowed it down to either my MOBO because I was so rough with it, or my PSU...which is a 500w off brand.

So if any could please give me some ideas I would really appreciate it.
 
Well, I recommend you get a new PSU right off the bat, as even if your current unit is fine, it would still be better to have a quality unit. However, based on your post, it does seem like the issue is with your motherboard.
 
Triple check the HS is flat on the cpu. If necessary bend or hack off part of some fins of either the HS or the NB sink, the not centered thing is a major red flag but perhaps you have made it work but check again and be double damn sure its sitting flat on the cpu.

Motherboards are actually fairly tough. If you did not break off a component or deeply gouge the motherboard itself and hit a trace (and where you mainly were working should have been most clear of top layer traces) it is unlikely you damaged the board. Get a good lamp/reading light/flashlight and a magnifying glass and look closely at the board where you were working or in any area you remember banging the board. 30 minutes of carefull, slow, close inspection should tell you if you have hurt the board and if so, its game over. The fact that it will boot into the bios makes me think its ok.

I tend to agree about the power supply BUT ....

A little story first. (notice I too have a version 1.0 P965 board from Gigabyte. )

I just upgraded (last week) from a 6300 that ran for 2 years without a hicup at 475 x 7 almost 24 hours a day. With the Q6600 my board will not go over 385 FSB for love nor money and at the start I had trouble even getting to over 333 FSB. Here is what I had to do.

1) (and I think this is critical) I cleared the cmos using the jumper with the supply switched off. (this resets a LOT more stuff than you see in the bios screens.)

2) Booted and set up my standard options etc. left ram on SPD/Auto and CPU frequency control to disabled for a pure plain jane stock boot up.

( I quickly found to my amazement with 1.4V, I started at a safe but high voltage just to get Vcore concerns out of the way, that I could not run my desired 8 x 400 no matter what else I did, memory underclocked and memory voltage set properly, played with MCH voltage, FSB blah blah 400 just was not going to happen).

3) Used the less desirable (due to my PC1000 MHz memory and the provided dividers which made it no longer easy to get my memory at its rated speed) 9X mulitplier, 1.4V , and set FSB to stock 266MHz . So I was still at stock as far as speed goes. Booted up windows and played around for a bit to make sure it was stable. Made sure in Hardware device manager the machine saw the 4 cores. Shut down and set MCH to +.1 FSB to +.05. Made sure Memory performance was set to normal.

4) Went old school OCing on its ass. Kept memory mulitplier at 2.0 so ram was still underclocked and out of the picture and started increasing FSB by 20MHZ and rebooting into a memtest CD so I didnt trash my windows install.

5) I could now OC ! just kept rasing FSB by 20MHz and rebooting to let the machine adjust whatever the hell it adjusts hidden in the bios. Found out I could not get 390 so backed off to 360 and when up by 5 MHz jumps. Found I could not get past 385. Backed off to 375. Booted into windows fine.

6) ran the machine for a day doing normal stuff.

7) then tuned up the memory by going to the 2.6 mulitplier but discovered with my (also went from 2 x 1GB to 2 x 2GB when I changed the cpu) memory that on auto it set it to 5 7 7 18 . Playing around I managed to get it down to 5 6 6 18 and get the performance set to FAST.

That got me to 3.375MHz and memory at its rated 1000MHz but not happy about the timings but I have to play more. Our version 1.0 board were really designed for 2 x 1GB sticks, 2GB sticks or 4 sticks tend to make them twitchy. Still working on it...

Moral of story, try "sneaking" up on your OC to let the board set hidden values as it reboots.
(might not hurt to pull 2 sticks of ram out when you do the above and be sure to keep it underclocked while you investigate the cpu)

This will kill an afternoon but hope it helps.
 
Reseating the heatsink I had to bend some of the fins on the NB Heatsink. Also I did reset the battery. Now it finally loaded and temps are decent. 37C idle and 59C max using Intel Burn Test...

thanks a lot for the info...now I'm just stuck at 3.18GHz, cant even go 1 FSB above 354X9...
 
Back
Top