• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please help! Molex -> Pci Express Adapter = no boot

mattjbak

Gawd
Joined
May 26, 2005
Messages
958
I just got a pci-e x850 xt PE, and the adapter didn't come with the card. I ended up buying an adapter here: Here .
However, when I press the power button, It's a complete no-go. The computer will boot without that adapter hooked in. I have an Antec TruePower 400w. This is beyond annoying as I've been waiting about 1.5 weeks to use my computer. Thanks in advance!
 
It won't boot for a reason, without the adapter the card has insufficent power to pwer it, I suggest just waiting. trying to "jerry" rig something or even trying to run the card off the PCI power will either screw your Vid card and/or motherboard.
 
mattjbak said:
I have the adapter... it was connected. I don't know why it now won't boot.


Have you plugged both plugs into different chains or the same one.

We need a little more info if pos please. Pics would be nice.
 
yeah remember that cable is not a splitter. both molex connectors must be connected to the power supply.
 
jnex26 said:
Have you plugged both plugs into different chains or the same one.

We need a little more info if pos please. Pics would be nice.

I'd definitely make sure your video card is powered by its own chain.
 
Even with it's own chain it doesn't boot... I've tried from different chains and from the same chain. It won't boot either way. Even with no opticals and no hard drives connected it won't boot so I doubt it's a lack of wattage.
 
I had the same problem. PC wouldnt turn on with the plug in, unplugged it, and it would at least power up.

I have to cut a wire, because the one I got was wired wrong. I got mine from Frozencpu.com I made a post about it here, with a pic, but the search feature doesnt go back far enough. Sorry I cant help more, but at least you know where to look now, hopefully. Try googling around a bit for an answer on which to cut. If I remember correctly, it was the brown wire in the middle, on the bottom, but its been several months and Ive forgotten.

Edit, ok, since Im so nice, I took off the side of my case and looked. :) It was the bottom brown wire. The one opposite of the clip. If yours is wired the same as mine, it has a black/brown/black up top, and yellow/brown/yellow on bottom. I dont know if feel like trusting me or not, just telling you that fixed it for me. I found a post searching on some forum Ive never been to before, with the same problem I was having, and that you are now. I wasnt so sure I wanted to do it, but snipped it, and it worked fine afterwards.
 
Back
Top