Please Help Me

bigmac11

Limp Gawd
Wasn't sure where to post this. If its in the wrong place mods please move it.

Okay so I tried Windows 10 again after trying the initial version. Installed fine, was relieved to find an actual start menu that I can use. And then just like Windows 8 it kicked me square in the nuts.

I have Windows 7 on a Samsung 128 GB SSD. I installed Windows 10 on a separate Samsung 64 GB SSD. In my system I have 2 -2 GB mechanical drives that were disconnected during Windows 10 install and configuration.

So 10 installs great everything working good. Shutdown and reconnected my 2 storage drives and restart. Everything smooth and working great. Had it running for a few hours and zero issues.

Shutdown and connect Windows 7 drive with 10 totally disconnected and it will not start. Went in the bios and verified that I was booting the correct drive and try again. Windows 7 repair utility pops up saying "something serious..yada" happened. I choose to start normally and both my storage drives need to have scan disk. I pressed space to escape this and now both disks are unreadable in Windows 7.

Same BS happened to me in Windows 8 so I gave up on it forever. Now the same crap is happening again with 10. If I boot Windows 7 neither storage drive is visible and on every boot I get asked to scan the disk. If I chose to scan the disk the pc restarts and its a never ending loop. In Windows 10 I see both storage disks but cannot access them as I get a "drive not available" error.

I have fast booting disabled in the bios and have tried all day searching for a solution. For the love of god can someone help me out. I'll be eternally grateful and will sacrifice my first born in your honor smile.gif

BIOS or EFI mode, did you alter the boot order? What do you see in disk management?

I'm guessing you might be able to boot into the windows preboot environment and run
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Bios
Did not alter the boot order
In win 10 i see all the drives just cannot access them
In Win 7 see no drives aside from boot.

I appreciate the reply but I'm really leery of trying to repair anything as I'm afraid I'll loose all my photos as I did a few years ago with Win 8.

Why the hell does this keep happening? I'm not as skilled as a lot of you yet for the life of me this makes zero sense. If all the drives are disconnected at install how does Win 10 affect them???

So I removed both storage drives and put them in a external drive caddy and cannot access either one. They show up in "My Computer" as empty. WTF! Man I'm about 2 seconds away from seek and destroy mode :(

Just curious... Those drives weren't in any sort of RAID array when they were operating under your Windows 7 OS?

Alternatively, I did a quick google for 'Windows 10 Storage Drive Changes' and I got a hit on this article. If Windows 10 by default is running a compression algorithm on the file system of storage drives, that might explain why Windows 7 doesn't recognize it. Additionally, if compression was done to that filesystem, changes made by a Windows 7 OS might corrupt key data on the drive and make the entire compression scheme un-recoverable.

Now I haven't really completely researched this, and I don't know if it's an optional thing, or a default thing, or if you answered a question during installation that setup this compression option, but if it was running, I would bet that is why things fell apart when Windows 7 tried to mount those two storage drives.

Funny thing is, this whole compression things reminds me of the old MSDOS doublespace program that was similarly buggy when executed. The whole compression thing seems pointless today, with all the cheap mass storage options we have, but I guess some ideas (even bad ones) get recycled every couple decades or so.

The drives were not in raid. Was simply using them as storage for games ,big programs and photos. There was no type of question asked as far as compression. I had only the boot drive connected when I installed W10.

In win 10 i see all the drives just cannot access them

What do you see in disk management? I can't tell if you're saying that you see drive letters but not their contents. This applies both to win7 and win10.

Also, in both Win7 and Win10, can you open command prompt, run this command, and post the results? reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Back