Please Help Me Re-Format?

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
I am trying to re-format my system but I am having a problem for some reason. I tap the delete key to get into BIOS, I change the first boot to CD-Rom, put the Windows XP, Home disk in, save and exit to re-boot. My system just starts off the disk and when I click on my CD Rom drive in my computer, the disc runs but it says that the Windows XP Home version on the disc is older than the one on my system and it will not allow me to continue the installation. Can anyone please help me out with this? Should I un-install/delete all of my windows updates first? Thanks in advance.

Easy way out of that problem is to create yourself a 'slipstreamed' SP2 installation CD to use. Google for slipstream service pack and you'll find detailed articles published which will walk yoiu through the process.

You've obviously got either an original release or a SP1 integrated install CD there, and it's time to update the thing :D

i suggest using nlite. its real easy to use and you can tweak other stuff if you feel like it.

I may be going to obvious here, but when you boot from the CD, are you hitting a key when it asks you to? If the installer sees a working OS on the drive, it won't automatically boot from the CD...you'll have to hit a key to do so. Then, you can use the CD to clear your partitions and do a clean install. Or, use something like GParted to wipe the drive, and then boot from your XP Home CD.

"My system just starts off the disk and when I click on my CD Rom drive in my computer,"

If your booting off the CD, you wont be able to use 'My Computer" until your done installing the OS.

Sounds like djnes is saying, your not booting off the CD, your actually booting into the current install, then running the CD from inside windows...

Like they said , when prompted to press any key to boot from CD do so... it comes right before the splash screen (xp logo with status loading bar). If you saved the changes in your bios you should be prompted to boot from CD. No need to go download stuff.... and there is no any key it just means to press any keystroke on the keyboard.. just in case.

Should see something of this sort ( look at the last line )

BootFromCD.jpg

Thanks to all of you for the replys. I am working now and won't be home until tomorrow to try it again. Now that I think of it, yes, I id see the screen that says to press any key to boot from the CD. I'll try it all again tomorrow and re-post.

OK, here is the deal. Here is the message I get when I try to boot from my CD ROM:

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

I can not click on the "continue" button. It wont let me. I have never had this problem before and don't understand what is up.

Could it have something to do with my keyboard being cordless and being plugged into a USB port? I don't think USB ports work during the boot-up. Maybe it isn't recognizing me pressing any key to boot up from the CD ROM. Am I correct?

Then it wouldn't have recognized the delete key and let you enter the BIOS setup, would it? :D

Nevermind, I uninstalled Service Pack 2 and now I am in business. Thanks to those that tried.

Back