Please help me not hate Freesync

Alright, I got the AMD Freesync demo going and Freesync does literally nothing. Only option that has an effect on the tearing is vsync on/off. Pretty conclusive to me, this shit don't work.

I wonder if your problem is specific to the manufacturer of your card. Like somehow they screwed up the Display Port itself and it's not properly transmitting VRR info.

Who makes it? Is it a reference card? I wonder if anyone else in out there has the same problem you have.

I wonder if your problem is specific to the manufacturer of your card. Like somehow they screwed up the Display Port itself and it's not properly transmitting VRR info.

Who makes it? Is it a reference card? I wonder if anyone else in out there has the same problem you have.

Its a reference Diamond card, not that the vendor matters too much. I'm going to try and pick up another card tomorrow locally so I can return it if I need to.

Alright, I got the AMD Freesync demo going and Freesync does literally nothing. Only option that has an effect on the tearing is vsync on/off. Pretty conclusive to me, this shit don't work.

Its kinda funny how were all different....but i would have tried this DAY 1 lol:D

Its kinda funny how were all different....but i would have tried this DAY 1 lol:D

I've tried a few times to download it, but its only hosted on Asus servers that I can tell and it kept crapping out on me halfway through. Today it took me 6 hours to get that 154MB. Anyways, new update. With 15.4b drivers, I get the demo working. But if I try to go into a game, the display driver crashes and the monitor goes black so I have to reboot the machine. Very useful.

I tried both and gsync looks much much much more fluid... to be honest I think you are just used to gsync..

I tried both and gsync looks much much much more fluid... to be honest I think you are just used to gsync..

Nah, it is definitely not working. I can use their own tech demo to prove it. Not sure why though, it seems like its driver related.

Okay so I picked up a new 290X, I'm starting from scratch with a brand new windows installation and try again. Hopefully this works.

Alright, I finally got it working. All I needed to do was go buy another GPU, motherboard, and CPU. I picked up an i5 4690k and a Z97 board along with the extra 290X, installed Windows 7 and the 15.7 WHQL and now it seems to work fine both in single card and crossfire configurations. Why it didn't work on my X99 or FM2 machine I have no idea.

Alright, I finally got it working. All I needed to do was go buy another GPU, motherboard, and CPU. I picked up an i5 4690k and a Z97 board along with the extra 290X, installed Windows 7 and the 15.7 WHQL and now it seems to work fine both in single card and crossfire configurations. Why it didn't work on my X99 or FM2 machine I have no idea.

Well did you try just the replacement gpu first?

So you bought a completely new system, that doesn't really tell you anything about which part it is that was the issue. I don't recall ever seeing anything about Freesync requiring specific cpu/motherboard combinations, so I sincerely doubt either one of those was the problem.

Well did you try just the replacement gpu first?

No, the NIC on my crossblade ranger died and I had 1 day to return it so I did. When I got the new system running I did try the new GPU first and then tried the old GPU by itself, then both together.

So you bought a completely new system, that doesn't really tell you anything about which part it is that was the issue. I don't recall ever seeing anything about Freesync requiring specific cpu/motherboard combinations, so I sincerely doubt either one of those was the problem.

I do too, I think it was a driver issue. I remember when Hawaii first came out I couldn't get crossfire to work until I had installed the next older driver and then the new Hawaii driver on top of it without removing. But after two weeks of messing with it I was willing to try just about anything to get it to work and be done with it.

OP, having used both Gsync (before) and finally getting Freesync to work, what is your opinion on the way they feel. Which feels better, which would you recommend etc...?

OP, having used both Gsync (before) and finally getting Freesync to work, what is your opinion on the way they feel. Which feels better, which would you recommend etc...?

I have used both side by side. No difference, It's not a tech that there can be a difference, either it's working in sync or it isn't.

Gysnc is better in really low frame rate situations that are under the range of the sync technology. When I say better, I mean it looks a little smoother, but, low frame rate is low frame rate and neither Freesync or Gsync make sub 30 frame rates more enjoyable to play.

My two cents worth after comparing the Rog Swift(Gsync) and the BenQ(freesync) side by side.

I mostly agree with reaper, I'd have to try an equivalent panel to my Gsync to be sure though. To my eyes, with freesync on my monitor struggles a lot with panning the camera around in games quickly. It isn't anywhere near as smooth as it was with my gsync one, but that could be down to a faster TN 144hz panel vs a slower 4K 60hz one, pixel response time and overdirve, etc. I'm thinking about picking up a 1080p 144hz freesync monitor to run side by side with the 4K screen, there are games that each is suited to (and the panels are about the same price as a non-sync compared to me paying $540 for the 1080p Gsync monitor lol).

Back