Please Give Me An Excuse

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently I have a M4A785TD-V Evo motherboard with a 1090T and 4x2GB DDR3 running 1333 @ 7-7-7-20 and a single 560ti 1GB. I've been tossing around the idea of upgrading to a 990FX board and am curious if I'm going to see any performance gain when making the switch. I'm aware of the greater possibilities for SLI since 785G doesn't allow it but 990FX does, but other than that (and native USB3.0) are there any other gains I can expect?

SATA 6GB/s, SLI, USB 3.0, AM3+ ... otherwise, no real reason... Already has 8+2 power phase, so you won't get much better with overclocking other than that board... I've used it a few times, very solid board if you never plan on going SLI or Xfire

*nod* Then I'll be putting my money to a better video card when the time comes. Thanks!

+1 to nside for pure performance there will be no difference, you should only get it if you want the versatility.

+1 to nside for pure performance there will be no difference, you should only get it if you want the versatility.

Besides, for native USB3 you will have to wait for the next gen of chipsets. All 9xx chipsets have 3rd party USB3 controllers (ASMedia, Etron and Jmicron i think) and in limited number. The 19xx chipsets are supposed to be the first to have native USB3.

I will probably upgrade my current board for my main machine (in sig) when USB 3.0 becomes more relevant with board-makers and peripheral manufacturers. It's very similar to OP's board, except it has the 790fx chipset (2 full 16x PCIe lanes, no onboard video)

I almost bought the ASUS add-on card to give this thing some USB 3.0 and SATA6Gb functionality, but decided that neither would boost performance enough to justify it. I wasn't alone, apparently, since that thing only seemed to be on the market for about 6 months or so...

I will probably upgrade my current board for my main machine (in sig) when USB 3.0 becomes more relevant with board-makers and peripheral manufacturers. It's very similar to OP's board, except it has the 790fx chipset (2 full 16x PCIe lanes, no onboard video)

I almost bought the ASUS add-on card to give this thing some USB 3.0 and SATA6Gb functionality, but decided that neither would boost performance enough to justify it. I wasn't alone, apparently, since that thing only seemed to be on the market for about 6 months or so...

790 is nice chipset. I had the 790g (with the onboard video). I can't say i see real-world difference with the 970 i have now... Maybe the USB 2 speed is a liiiiiiitle faster, but that can be simply that the asrock XFast USB software is more optimized for the 970... Other than that i didn't notice anything that made me say "wow".

USB3 is nice to have, but i have no USB3 device yet...

USB3 is nice to have, but i have no USB3 device yet...

Exactly...

And SATA III (6Gb/s) is nice too, but most people won't see much difference since they are still using 7200 RPM disk drives. SSD would be a good reason, I guess, but even those still scream on SATA II in comparison to a HDD...

I sometimes drool over a nice new board with all the bells and whistles, especially when I'm buying those boards and building something for someone else. I just can't justify it. Damn Bulldozer for being such a let-down, I would have a new build right now if it were even marginally better than what I built more than 2 years ago.

Back