• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please evaluate my setup

panfist

Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
638
I was thinking of upgrading my setup to be able to game at 1920x1200. I haven't purchased anything for a while and the video card market is pretty juicy right now. Here's what I am currently using.

ASUS P5E x38 mobo
E8400
2x 2GB DDR2 1000MHz 5-5-5-15
8800GT
Ultra X-Pro 600W

I have the FSB set to 400Mhz, and the multiplier on the CPU set to 8, for 3.2GHz. The memory is set to 800MHz 4-4-4-12. I haven't bothered messing with the deeper subtimings. The video card can do 680MHz but no more without artifacting once in a while.

At this point I'm wondering two things, how much more can I overclock my CPU and still get stability, and how much video card can my PSU handle. I think I can easily get to 3.4GHz or maybe 3.6GHz without touching 1.2V, and keeping fan noise down, but after I overclock, how much headroom will I have to install more powerful video cards? Will this thing handle a 4870x2? Would this thing be able to OC a 4870x2?
 
It will only use a small additional amount of power to go from 3.2 to 3.6 say 20 watts as a guess. The power used by the cpu rises pretty linear with frequency. A strong 600W supply should be more than sufficent to repace the 8800GT with a 4870x2 and that is what you need to do for High Res gaming. The additioanl OC on the cpu will not have nearly as much affect as upgrading the video card will. That supply should do the job fine. For fun post in the power supply section or just read through the posts, your basic question comes up often, do a search in the power supply forum for 4870x2 and I bet you will find a bunch of simular questions and the answer if you want second, third and fourth opinions.
 
Indeed. Although for gaming your gpu is much more important at 1920x1200, you probably are sitting on 500-1000Mhz in that E8400 if you were give it a go on the OC. A 4Ghz vs 3.2Ghz C2D is not going to make much difference though at 1920x1200, a little but not much. Still do it the [H] way and crank the cpu up.
 
Back
Top