Please AMD, dont make the next cpu roll out confusing

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-notebooks-asus-tuf-gaming-fx705-fx505-available/

So its A 3000, BUUUUUUUT its not zen 2. If they do this to desktops, with just a mem refresh and new igpu, its may not be good. Soon we may have to make charts again to figure out what we are buying.

mobile market naming scheme has always been a clusterfck.. it's all about baiting the uneducated buyers.. intel's naming schemes are just as bad and were also guilty of rebranding previous gen chips as next gen(which they don't need to do anymore since everything is basically skylake anyways).. perfect example is their ultabook processors where the i3, i5 and i7 are the same processor with different clock speeds.

perfect example is their ultabook processors where the i3, i5 and i7 are the same processor with different clock speeds.

You know that solves my brain fart problem for the last few years when i have to pick out notebooks for people, and i cant tell the difference between the pentium-i7. They are all 4 core bla bla, its not like one has hyper and the other doesnt.

You know that solves my brain fart problem for the last few years when i have to pick out notebooks for people, and i cant tell the difference between the pentium-i7. They are all 4 core bla bla, its not like one has hyper and the other doesnt.

yup, i figured that out the hard way too.. current laptop i have has an i5 7200u in it i could of saved 200 dollars and just got the i3 model with everything else exactly the same but it had been years since i bought a laptop and the last one i had used an i3 but was 2/2 so i figured they were still doing the same thing with current gen.

I go to ark.intel.com to figure out which one of them are the 45W parts and what generation they are.

And in some systems, an i5 can be faster than a i7 due to throttling, because of the shitty cooling on most laptops. Top tier is not always the best tier in certain form factors.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-notebooks-asus-tuf-gaming-fx705-fx505-available/

So its A 3000, BUUUUUUUT its not zen 2. If they do this to desktops, with just a mem refresh and new igpu, its may not be good. Soon we may have to make charts again to figure out what we are buying.

This same thing happened last year. The APU parts (2200G/2400G/2500u/2700u) have Zen architecture and the rest of the 2XXX chips are Zen+ parts. It makes sense that the 3XXX APU's are actually Zen+ parts and not Zen 2 parts just like last year. I don't see what the big deal is. APU = last years architecture. No fancy chart required.

There was some article released a while ago about this stuff. I have to agree, their roll out is a bit confusing. I do recall AMD clearly stating that their next gen of mobile CPUs would be 12nm instead of 7. This is likely something related with them jumping ship with Global Foundries, though... it also let them get the chips out and making money now, as opposed to waiting on 7nm. With the delays on chipsets for 7nm processors being an actual thing, this kind of makes sense. Use the existing chipsets, toss on a BIOS update and solder on a slightly improved processor and it's a low cost solution. Plus it lets them make more money on the older process node because 7nm is supposed to be expensive. Seeing as Intel won't have 10nm mobile parts until the end of 2019... they went cheap.

As for the mobile Intel/AMD/whatever parts... I have never been happy with how muddled their (Intel's) lineup was. How a celeron, pentium, i3, i5 and i7 could all possess 2 cores in the past... Jesus, the people suing AMD for the dozer+ architecture should have sued Intel instead. The only difference came down to hyper threading on some and the amount of cache memory on the chips. I got lucky with my last gen i5 purchase 7 series laptop processor, it actually has 4 cores... I did do the research before I picked it up tho. You HAVE to with laptops, just way too much BS going on there with whatever crapola Nvidia is selling (some cards faster than others, some with less shaders, shittier memory, same designation on the model... Jesus). At least AMD provided a chart...

AMD will launch the Zen 2 on 7/7 at 7 AM PST

Purchase will require 7 clicks and shipping will only available to addresses with 7 digit zip codes.

Shipping will be $7.

Does a space count ? Our postal codes are XXX XXX :)
Edit: that's a lot of triple X

AMD needs to do these re-brands, for two reasons:

1. It takes AMD up to 12 months to attach a GPU as large as the one on Raven Ridge to the *completed* Zen 2. So that's 2020, at the earliest.

2. They actually launched Raven Ridge before Zen+, and that efficiency improvement will make a difference on mobile. So it's well worth the rebrand.

A company as small as AMD can't tweak both GPU and CPU at thew same time, or it would never get released in time to be competitive. So their APUs will always be 12 months behind the desktop CPUs. But they're still fine for launching new number series: nobody cared that they launched the 2000-series with Raven Ridge, which only matched the performance for the 1300x and 1500x, and only launched 2700x later in the year.

AMD is prioritizing servers and desktops first (their most advanced core architectures), while still having a small performance bump for laptops. And they're keeping the product numbers moving forward, even if it's not Zen 2 (yet!) I'd expect the 4000-series to launch with AMD's first Zen 2 APU.

Last edited:
AMD needs to do these re-brands, for two reasons:

1. It takes AMD up to 12 months to attach a GPU as large as the one on Raven Ridge to the *completed* Zen 2. So that's 2020, at the earliest.

2. They actually launched Raven Ridge before Zen+, and that efficiency improvement will make a difference on mobile. So it's well worth the rebrand.

A company as small as AMD can't tweak both GPU and CPU at thew same time, or it would never get released in time to be competitive. So their APUs will always be 12 months behind the desktop CPUs. But they're still fine for launching new number series: nobody cared that they launched the 2000-series with Raven Ridge, which only matched the performance for the 1300x and 1500x, and only launched 2700x later in the year.

AMD is prioritizing servers and desktops first (their most advanced core architectures), while still having a small performance bump for laptops. And they're keeping the product numbers moving forward, even if it's not Zen 2 (yet!) I'd expect the 4000-series to launch with AMD's first Zen 2 APU.

They're not that small. But yeah 6bn AMD vs 200bn Intel. They cant afford to do both you say yet Intel doesnt make graphics cards and cant make an IGP worth shit. Dont forget that AMDs worst current GPU is leaps and bounds (better)((*edited)) than Intels absolute best halo GPU whatever thing they have.

I'd say AMD is doing great. Worth 6bn and competing with juggernaut 200bn Intel and juggernaut graphics company nV at the same damn time.

Last edited:
They're not that small. But yeah 6bn AMD vs 200bn Intel. They cant afford to do both you say yet Intel doesnt make graphics cards and cant make an IGP worth shit. Dont forget that AMDs worst current GPU is leaps and bounds different than Intels absolute best halo GPU whatever thing they have.

I'd say AMD is doing great. Worth 6bn and competing with juggernaut 200bn Intel and juggernaut graphics company nV at the same damn time.

AMD is doing fine. I was just explaining to the OP why they are doing things the way they are doing things. Because this whole thread was whining bout AMD having incomplete product lineup.

AMD has too small an engineering team size, which is why they have a spotty product lineup. Otherwise, Raven Ridge would have launched within a few months of R71800x, instead of a year later. Intel's larger iGPU chips (GT3) usually launch within a few months after the small GPUs (GT2) because they spend the extra money on concurrent development (and have the larger volume to pay for it).

Luckily for them, Intel has completely forgotten about pushing the envelope after Sandy Bridge, so they don't have to work all that hard to run rings round the old giant. Coffee Lake was a sure sign of that.

Last edited:
AMD is doing fine. I was just explaining to the OP why they are doing things the way they are doing things. Because this whole thread was whining bout AMD having incomplete product lineup.

AMD has too small an engineering team size, which is why they have a spotty product lineup. Otherwise, Raven Ridge would have launched at the same time as the R71800x, instead of a year later. Intel's larger GPU chips usually launch within a few months after the small gpus, because they spend the extra money on concurrent development.\ (and have the larger volume to pay for it).

Luckily for them, Intel has forgotten completely about pushing the envelope after Sandy Bridge, so they don't have to work all that hard to run rings round the old giant. Coffee Lake was a sure sign of that.

Gotcha :p

Yes I agree especially about Intel forgetting about pushing the Envelope. I think AMD is pushing the envelope of the whole chip design process in that they are going full blown chiplet and Intel is still sticking to monolithic. I think this choice is going to harm Intel seriously down the road and might even launch AMD into the atmosphere for a change.

I had to edit my post above this one as I didn't mean to say different, I meant to say better. My cell phone autotyped that word for some reason I didn't catch it.

Last edited:
Back