Please advise regarding ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition

ibex333

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just bought a ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition on Ebay for $450 shipped

Yes. It's a reference cooler, but I figure who cares... My case has good cooling anyway. It's speed is VERY slightly slower than a cheapest GTX 1080 on Newegg, which is a Gigabyte GTX 1080

The FE is
  • Core Clock 1607 MHz
  • Boost Clock 1733 MHz

And the gigabyte is:
  • Core Clock OC Mode: 1657 MHz
  • Gaming Mode: 1632 MHz
  • Boost Clock OC Mode: 1797 MHz
  • Gaming Mode: 1771 MHz

Yes, the Gigabyte has a nice cooling system, but it costs $540 + $5 shipping

What do you think? Did I buy an "outdated" , "prototype" design which will perform much worse, or did I get a great deal and should be happy? I think I did well, considering I paid more than $100 less.

Thanks very much for your input!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nothing wrong with buying a reference card, but why do you need other people's opinions to validate your purchase? Try actually using the product and then, based off of the observed performance, decide for yourself if the purchase was worth it.

That's not a bad price on a 1080 FE. It's a good card too, just don't expect to be overclocking it much (unless you're deaf or use noise-canceling headphones)

Nothing wrong with buying a reference card, but why do you need other people's opinions to validate your purchase? Try actually using the product and then, based off of the observed performance, decide for yourself if the purchase was worth it.

Because other people may have used it already?

There's nothing wrong with other people using video cards. Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting a used card and save quite a bit of cash. I should do this, actually. But I didn't want a 9-series for VR.

Save a few bucks, buy used. Put the money towards a game or something else nice. Even if Miners got a hold of the card. Make sure that it works at stock. Make sure it's got a warranty. Enjoy it, you thrifty shopper.

With Boost 3.0, you shouldn't see the FE card going any slower than a third-party non-reference card, assuming you keep it thermally low. IIRC, Pascal chips downclock 13 Hz every 4 C temperature rise above 52 C on default power curve so the lower you keep your card temperature the higher the clocks should sustain.

Enjoy your new for you card!

The real reason you should buy a reference card is so you can rip the jet-engine style cooler off of it and enjoy the large selection of full cover waterblocks available for reference PCBs.

Then you can clock the snot out of it. XD

Back