Playstation Network possibly hacked.

Until then I can't link my portal 2 account and download it on my pc, cand get my original reptile skin and fatality for Mortal Kombat :(

WTF, lol, been all about the xbox, so i decided to give the PS3 some use. Went out and bought mortal kombat and portal 2, same night, the network goes down....

Way to keep me coming back ps3....not. Stick to being a blu-ray player.:eek:

Guess I can enjoy a few days of not being invaded in Demons Soul's. Oh well , long as I can get my netflix I dunt care =/ time to get some *shutters* fresh air.........

Everyone should note that whily Sony first said "Our support teams are investigating the cause of the problem, including the possibility of targeted behaviour by an outside party" and "If the reported Network problems are indeed caused by such acts, we would like to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service.".

This text was later REMOVED and now no mention of an attack is made in their status update at the playstation blog. I can assure you, as seen from the previous text, if they ACTUALLY thought there were any possibility that they were attacked, they'd play it up no end.

Also, "Anonymous" through AnonOps have explicitly said that they have nothing at all to do with this.

Doesn't mean it's not an attack, but why jump to conclusions? Isn't it more likely that Sony just fucked shit up for themselves while rolling out an internal update, because they're incompetent?

So you are saying that people should not be able to:

Tune their own cars?

Put a different rom on a Phone/Tablet?

And if they do, they should be sued?

Phone manufacturers should be able to take out an internet browser from their phone in an update, because it risks a security flaw for them? And if you don't update you can't use the call portion of your phone?

Tell me how it isn't the same....

Sorry but I am not even going to feed the fire for this asinine argument. I already saw enough of these bullshit posts about OtherOS when it was still hot off the press. This is exactly the reason I said GTFO. I called you out on your cute story, "tired of PS3 having services taken away from it". It happened once and only because it was not a core feature and had a huge open door for copying games.

Dont get me wrong, Sony has made some really bad moves but its not like everyone of these guys that follow are little angels that want to crack the system for the good of running OtherOS. Would you rather be the guy that got OtherOS running or the guy that broke the years of PS3 game copy protection. I wonder which carries more notoriety. With that sad, I am not defending either side, only realistic that both sides have a claim to make.

How many hours did you spend using OtherOS?

Sorry but I am not even going to feed the fire for this asinine argument. I already saw enough of these bullshit posts about OtherOS when it was still hot off the press. This is exactly the reason I said GTFO. I called you out on your cute story, "tired of PS3 having services taken away from it". It happened once and only because it was not a core feature and had a huge open door for copying games.

Dont get me wrong, Sony has made some really bad moves but its not like everyone of these guys that follow are little angels that want to crack the system for the good of running OtherOS. Would you rather be the guy that got OtherOS running or the guy that broke the years of PS3 game copy protection. I wonder which carries more notoriety. With that sad, I am not defending either side, only realistic that both sides have a claim to make.

How many hours did you spend using OtherOS?

You say you won't answer my questions, but then ask me a question...

How about we just agree you go on your merry 1-sided way and I will go on mine :)

You say you won't answer my questions, but then ask me a question...

How about we just agree you go on your merry 1-sided way and I will go on mine :)

Thats what I figured, you barely(if ever) used it. Thanks for confirming.

"An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th." -- http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/4J1bv...8215/sony-confirms-playstation-network-hacked

So they were penetrated, and don't know how (or they'd be up).

Wonder if they'll tell us how many million credit card numbers and email adressess were exposed? :-p

Last edited:
Wish the fuckers would grow up and stop throwing a temper tantrum like little fucking kids.

F U Anon.

Wish the fuckers would grow up and stop throwing a temper tantrum like little fucking kids.

F U Anon.

Still not certain in was Anon, however if it was good for them! I'm not taking anyone's side but Sony seems to be able to throw money around and get what it wants like a spoiled brat.

This does upset me however as I just purchased MK, RE5, and another game and would like to play it but now I don't even want to try.

Damn, I have my credit card info in there. Hope it wasn't compromised.

I'm right there with you. Im thinking about pulling a few hundred in cash out of my checking account and canceling that card to get a new one just to be safe. They are slow with informing us of this stuff right now and that info could have been sold several times over by now if it were compromised.

lol
praystation.jpg

Still not certain in was Anon, however if it was good for them! I'm not taking anyone's side but Sony seems to be able to throw money around and get what it wants like a spoiled brat.

This does upset me however as I just purchased MK, RE5, and another game and would like to play it but now I don't even want to try.

Yes, because fucking everyone over is good.:rolleyes:

I think it's quite funny the amount of ppl that 'never' play their PS3 but all of a sudden want to now play online when there is a force able layoff.

Makes sense.

I'm as pissed off as the next person at not being able to kick some online MK ass but seriously? You bought two games that have a shit ton of offline gameplay yet because your PS3 can't connect to PSN you don't wanna play them?

Makes sense.

last night I figured out that you technically don't need to be signed into PSN to access your netflix account...

give it a try

Yeah, I see people saying that in the thread, but all mine did during the last outage was pull an infinite loop on the "can't log in/you've got to log in" messages.

I'd say you're right on the "not use as intended" call, and I'm not going to fault them for it not working right during an outage. XBL is the same way, or would be the same way if something like this were to happen to it. Thankfully, PS3 is my last ditch place to watch Netflix, so it's not a big deal if this ever happens again. It was a fluke that I happened to be trying it during the DDoS from a couple weeks ago.

Relevant to the thread:
Found this last night, if getting butthurt over PS3 jokes is a thing for somebody, just scroll on by. Or fill out one of these
12615964813fw2mnjl.jpg

Enjoy!
IMG%5D

amazon ec2 and psn going down at the same time was planned to boost productivity that was lost during the portal 2 release.

I think it's quite funny the amount of ppl that 'never' play their PS3 but all of a sudden want to now play online when there is a force able layoff.

Makes sense.

I'm as pissed off as the next person at not being able to kick some online MK ass but seriously? You bought two games that have a shit ton of offline gameplay yet because your PS3 can't connect to PSN you don't wanna play them?

Makes sense.

I purchased two games to play online with buddies. I have no interest playing them solo right now. MK however I have been playing.

Yeah I just bought socom 4 which is basically only good for MP.

This sucks! Here is the latest update:

"An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share. "

If it is Anon they need to cut the shit out , they aren't hurting Sony or making some kind of big statement .. they are hurting gamers that simply want to use there games in the manner of which they were designed. Anon should target Sony's web sites where millions of users won't be impacted in a way that seems counter productive. Geohot Vs Sony is over now.

One thing this does show however is how lacking the PSN is when it comes to dealing with outages. Xbox live is attacked on a daily basis and through smart planning and back up services the network never seems to "feel" these events. But Xbox live is a paid service and PSN is mostly not so if you ever needed proof as where the money might go .. it could have gone to better overall infrastructure and better software engineers onsite to deal with external intrusions.

Having this happen during some major game releases just makes it worse as well , its going on 5 days now and no end seems insight. My brother spends most of his gaming time on a PS3 but after whats happened this week he tells me hes just going to bite the bullet and use Live from now on. PSN is just not a stable service compared to Live.

Psn also have a subscriber service, i would be really pissed if i paid for that and now over 3 days its still down.. unbelivable..

I don't pay to use playstation network, but I do and have paid for games that I now cannot play because it's down. "A day or two" has now turned into 3 days with no idea when they'll get it fixed.

"You might have guessed this already, but it's no simple error that's been keeping the PSN down over the last few days, forcing us into productive activities (like writing this) instead of playing multiplayer Spelunker HD. Sony finally came forward on the PlayStation Blog and admitted that "An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services." Sony says it turned off PSN and Qriocity services on Wednesday to investigate this "intrusion" further.

If this is the work of "Anonymous" members, they failed to read their own nebulous organization's press release -- Anonymous supposedly backed off from PSN attacks in early April. It's entirely possible, however, the latest hackers are members of no group other than the loose worldwide confederation of jerks
."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/23/psn-outage-due-to-external-intrusion/

:eek:

Every time I come close to actually buying a PS3, shit like this happens. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Sony should just remove online from the PS3 altogether, that would solve the problem. Just push out a new firmware and update that EULA!

Everytime I read one of these threads, I just know I'll see a ton of butthurt people who clearly never liked the company in the first place.

Well, there is the subject of buying games that promise online support or what if you got the PSN+?

Get real. PSN+ is like $0.13 per day. You can still play single player games. Just a short-time issue with multiplayer. It sucks but unless PSN is down for weeks its a moot point imo.

Makes firing up GT5 a little annoying, get the PSN error when you turn on the console, as soon as you launch GT5 it asks if you want to connect to PSN, when you enter GT mode it asks if you want to connect to PSN...

I'm betting that they'll start charging for PSN and that the PSN+ price will be going up significantly.

I'm betting that they'll start charging for PSN and that the PSN+ price will be going up significantly.

then they better be ready to compete with Xbox Live because if I have to choose between paying for online with Sony vs online with Microsoft then its an easy choice currently, microsoft.

they need to revamp the PSN user interface big time

Ripped from a post on Reddit.

"Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware."

Makes perfect sense and fits all the evidence available. Wether this is the actual reason is open until there is some press release.

Just because he's a moderator at a random site doesn't mean he knows jack shit about whats going on.

(no offense to our moderator overlords at [H])

Heh, too bad I don't pay for PSN or I'd actually be pissed. Side note, Twilight Zone is on Netflix...who needs games when you have all 5 seasons...though season 4 is hiding.

Just because he's a moderator at a random site doesn't mean he knows jack shit about whats going on.

(no offense to our moderator overlords at [H])

You're probably right, but it's still fun to speculate. Especially something at this scale.

Back