PlayStation 5 Pro and New Xbox Series S / X Specs and Release Date Leaked by TCL

That the exact rumors of this thread a pro version for Christmas 2023 or 2024 no ?
Some but many are looking at the 6nm refresh thinking that is the "Pro" version when it's more likely to be a slim version coming Q3. Too many rumors and they are getting mixed up.
I personally am excited about the PSVR2 there is a chance that it may be the headset that works for me without making me violently ill.

I get what you're saying but that's three year+ old tech at the moment. I would be interested in a ps5 pro next fall(23). Not really impressed with the gpu in the current. By 24 Xbox series x will need an update. We won't even talk about the s lol. And i would like to upgrade my xbox to that one not the current x. So I'll pick up an series x refresh in 24 and a ps5 pro or whatever they decide to call it late next year or early 24. Maybe I'll pick up a pro ready tcl screen too:D And oh yeah, The sony fanboy's would make the ps5 pro sell out in no time since you know they are not happy about xbox being the overall most powerful at the moment. So no they would not struggle to sell them one bit.

The performance differences between the PS5 and Xbox Series X are small enough to be meaningless, especially since cross-platform games tend to be written for a common denominator (Call of Duty isn't going to be slightly more detailed, or run noticeably faster, on one console). And remember, you can buy a $399 PS5 with the same performance as the $499 model... can't do that on the Xbox side, at least not yet.

Besides, it's a bit of a moot point when your console choice often comes down to the exclusives or your social circle (so you can play with friends), not because of theoretical performance. The Series X could be twice as powerful, but that wouldn't matter to someone wanting to play Horizon Forbidden West. And while Microsoft is getting better about exclusives, the Xbox doesn't hold much sway outside of North America; it's really hard to convince someone in Japan or the UK to buy an Xbox for multiplayer gaming when absolutely all their friends own PlayStations.

One possible incentive, higher price point ? Easier to announce it on a pro version than on the current one.
Maybe. But they could just as easily do that by selling a PS5 or Xbox Series X with 2TB of storage... that's a much smaller investment!

Some but many are looking at the 6nm refresh thinking that is the "Pro" version when it's more likely to be a slim version coming Q3. Too many rumors and they are getting mixed up.
I personally am excited about the PSVR2 there is a chance that it may be the headset that works for me without making me violently ill.
A 6nm die shrink won't bring any changes to the console package. It will look the same on the outside, but it will theoretically run cooler and quieter.

The performance differences between the PS5 and Xbox Series X are small enough to be meaningless, especially since cross-platform games tend to be written for a common denominator (Call of Duty isn't going to be slightly more detailed, or run noticeably faster, on one console). And remember, you can buy a $399 PS5 with the same performance as the $499 model... can't do that on the Xbox side, at least not yet.

Besides, it's a bit of a moot point when your console choice often comes down to the exclusives or your social circle (so you can play with friends), not because of theoretical performance. The Series X could be twice as powerful, but that wouldn't matter to someone wanting to play Horizon Forbidden West. And while Microsoft is getting better about exclusives, the Xbox doesn't hold much sway outside of North America; it's really hard to convince someone in Japan or the UK to buy an Xbox for multiplayer gaming when absolutely all their friends own PlayStations.

You're right for the most part, but PlayStation's market share in the UK has dropped considerably and mostly leveled out since the PS2 days.

"In 2021, Sony's Playstation retook the lead from Microsoft's Xbox in terms of market share of console operating systems in the United Kingdom (UK). Since 2012, when Playstation obtained 96.85 percent of the market share, the market share has decreased considerably and is currently at 52.64 percent. Meanwhile the Xbox market share has gone from zero in 2012 to 47.36 in 2021."

Also all predictions point to Xbox increasing market share in the future which after the Bethesda and Activision acquisitions makes more sense... I doubt Call of Duty will be a Xbox exclusive (perhaps timed) however the Bethesda titles could very well be Xbox exclusives in the years to come and gamers without comparable gaming PCs will be forced to get an Xbox. Xbox Expected to Gain Console Software Market Share over PlayStation & Nintendo By 2026

It's funny when you think about it that like how historically PC gamers would buy PlayStation and Nintendo Systems for their exclusives specifically... the same may end up being true of Nintendo and PlayStation gamers with respect to Xbox... once Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, and maybe COD end up being exclusively on Xbox at least for a certain amount of time then Xbox consoles will be purchased for the exclusives in the future.

Xbox Series X/S have "taken share globally" in console market for past two quarters

Last edited:
Xbox can have all the Activision and Bethesda exclusives they want. No loss for me. I would take GoW Ragnarok over everything those 2 companies will bring to Xbox.

Xbox can have all the Activision and Bethesda exclusives they want. No loss for me. I would take GoW Ragnarok over everything those 2 companies will bring to Xbox.
Cries in Elder Scrolls and Doom. :LOL:

As much as I enjoyed God of War there is no way I would even consider for a second trading God of War for any Elder Scrolls or Doom.

As much as I enjoyed God of War there is no way I would even consider for a second trading God of War for any Elder Scrolls or Doom.
Doom is like the only game in Bethesda catalog I care about. ES and the FPS FO games are trash and don't understand why they are popular.

All of those games are also on PC.

You're right for the most part, but PlayStation's market share in the UK has dropped considerably and mostly leveled out since the PS2 days.

"In 2021, Sony's Playstation retook the lead from Microsoft's Xbox in terms of market share of console operating systems in the United Kingdom (UK). Since 2012, when Playstation obtained 96.85 percent of the market share, the market share has decreased considerably and is currently at 52.64 percent. Meanwhile the Xbox market share has gone from zero in 2012 to 47.36 in 2021."

Also all predictions point to Xbox increasing market share in the future which after the Bethesda and Activision acquisitions makes more sense... I doubt Call of Duty will be a Xbox exclusive (perhaps timed) however the Bethesda titles could very well be Xbox exclusives in the years to come and gamers without comparable gaming PCs will be forced to get an Xbox. Xbox Expected to Gain Console Software Market Share over PlayStation & Nintendo By 2026

It's funny when you think about it that like how historically PC gamers would buy PlayStation and Nintendo Systems for their exclusives specifically... the same may end up being true of Nintendo and PlayStation gamers with respect to Xbox... once Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, and maybe COD end up being exclusively on Xbox at least for a certain amount of time then Xbox consoles will be purchased for the exclusives in the future.

Xbox Series X/S have "taken share globally" in console market for past two quarters
Good point, although I do think that emphasizes Microsoft's problem: the Xbox does well in English-speaking countries that are receptive to the company's cultural sensibilities... and falls flat most everywhere else. I'll be curious to see if Microsoft can change that with the Activision Blizzard and Bethesda deals.

It's hard to avoid comparisons with Microsoft's past attempts to effectively buy market share, like when it acquired Nokia's phone division. The company still has that turn-of-the-millennium bravado where it believes it can dominate if it just throws enough money around. That's not to say this is a repeat of history, but a total of $75.5 billion for Activision and Bethesda is a huge gamble that people will buy a new console just to play Call of Duty or Elder Scrolls. I could easily see it going the way of Nokia and torpedoing some well-known brands.

Good point, although I do think that emphasizes Microsoft's problem: the Xbox does well in English-speaking countries that are receptive to the company's cultural sensibilities... and falls flat most everywhere else. I'll be curious to see if Microsoft can change that with the Activision Blizzard and Bethesda deals.

It's hard to avoid comparisons with Microsoft's past attempts to effectively buy market share, like when it acquired Nokia's phone division. The company still has that turn-of-the-millennium bravado where it believes it can dominate if it just throws enough money around. That's not to say this is a repeat of history, but a total of $75.5 billion for Activision and Bethesda is a huge gamble that people will buy a new console just to play Call of Duty or Elder Scrolls. I could easily see it going the way of Nokia and torpedoing some well-known brands.
I tend to think differently about it. It's not like we are talking about EA here; at least Phil Spencer since being in charge has made a lot of great gamer-centric moves with respect to the Xbox brand. Even so far as preserving the Xbox legacy of games with their investment into backwards compatibility something Sony is utterly late to the game with supporting in terms of any sort of PS3 or older support on new consoles. I know it's difficult, but Sony really lags in this regard.

Also the Xbox brand between their Cloud initiatives and bringing Game Pass to more and more people accounts for the projected $23B in software growth on the Xbox side in the coming future. Activision-Blizzard despite the success of the Call of Duty franchise has been marred for years by controversy where a change in ownership I am hoping will change things.

I am leaning towards being more positive about the future of Xbox than not, however I can't deny the fact that since getting my PS5 I've barely picked up my Xbox other than to play with friends which goes back to your original point which people tend to play on the platform where their friends are. For me my wife and all my friends are on Xbox so whenever they want to play I play with them using the Series X, but otherwise I never pick up the Xbox to play solo anymore.

I'm really wondering how they handle this. For an online game, it makes sense to put it on Playstation. They can give benefits to Xbox/PC players, additional skins or whatever for something like Call of Duty. But I assume they sales from microtransactions will make it more sensible to put games like that on Playstation as well. Multiplayer games thrive off of player count and microtransaction sales.

I can see the single player games, like Fallout or Elder Scrolls being Xbox and PC exclusive.

^ From that article, not a bad comparison on what a die-shrink will allow for:

All-Last-Gen-SoCs.jpg

Yeah it has stayed fairly similar. Main outlier was the Xbox 360, which released a lot earlier than the competition.
360 and PS3 were supposed to launch around the same time, but Sony ran into massive issues manufacturing the Cell processor. Even after the ps3 release they couldn't source many Cells which let to shortage and scalping, much like we see now with the PS5.

When 360 came out, it had a cutting-edge GPU (somewhere between an 1800xt and 1900xt). Contrastingly, the PS3's closest GPU (gtx 7800) was already 1+ year old on that console's release.

360 and PS3 were supposed to launch around the same time, but Sony ran into massive issues manufacturing the Cell processor. Even after the ps3 release they couldn't source many Cells which let to shortage and scalping, much like we see now with the PS5.

When 360 came out, it had a cutting-edge GPU (somewhere between an 1800xt and 1900xt). Contrastingly, the PS3's closest GPU (gtx 7800) was already 1+ year old on that console's release.
It was nothing like it is now. The 360 and PS3 were only hard to get in the first couple months. Stock stabilized quickly to the point you could walk into a store and grab one off the shelf. You still can't do that with the current generation of consoles 20 months after launch.

I dont recall the PS3 having supply issues. I walked into BB and brought one near release.

It was nothing like it is now. The 360 and PS3 were only hard to get in the first couple months. Stock stabilized quickly to the point you could walk into a store and grab one off the shelf. You still can't do that with the current generation of consoles 20 months after launch.

I think big box stores are purposefully not carrying in stores. There are smaller stores that have them in stock here but they require you to buy an extra controller and three games. So far, there aren't any ps5 exclusives I HAVE to have so I'm waiting on more games or for Wal-Mart to carry in store.

Neither of them did, but they were both delayed because of the HDTV stall.
Really? "Full" HD televisions (1080p) had been on the market for at least 4 years prior to the launch of the Xbox 360. "Half" HD televisions (720p) had become ubiquitous long before gen 7 consoles launched.

Really? "Full" HD televisions (1080p) had been on the market for at least 4 years prior to the launch of the Xbox 360. "Half" HD televisions (720p) had become ubiquitous long before gen 7 consoles launched.

Yeah, bear in mind the US didn't go digital for broadcasting until 2009. But even before then, cable companies had been stalling going digital for years, I remember the first delays in the late '90s. Microsoft and Sony had a quiet agreement to delay their launch by I don't remember, like a year? It's part of why Microsoft had the Falcon update ready so fast.

A lot of people kept their old CRTs even after that, with the converter boxes. There's a corner store around here that still uses one.

You know, I should probably ask to buy that TV and sell it to some retro gamer. It's one of the last ones, with a flat screen and everything.

Yeah, bear in mind the US didn't go digital for broadcasting until 2009. But even before then, cable companies had been stalling going digital for years, I remember the first delays in the late '90s. Microsoft and Sony had a quiet agreement to delay their launch by I don't remember, like a year? It's part of why Microsoft had the Falcon update ready so fast.

A lot of people kept their old CRTs even after that, with the converter boxes. There's a corner store around here that still uses one.

You know, I should probably ask to buy that TV and sell it to some retro gamer. It's one of the last ones, with a flat screen and everything.
Ah, you mean the ATSC digital broadcast conversion. I don't know how that would affect game console sales when they don't depend on the ATSC standard, though. Personally, I played on my Xbox 360 on my monitor with a VGA cable for a year before buying an HDTV, and I only bought one to upgrade my movie viewing experience with Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Which PC build is similar to Playstation 5 Pro?
Hard to compare this for that, and we don't know too much about RDNA 3 or any intended CPU improvement, but I'll bite...

Ryzen 3800 (Zen 2; possibly on a smaller node with a speed bump ~3.8ghz)
16GB DDR5
1TB PCI-E nvme
6800 XT (with improved RT performance, FSR support)

In essence, a current high-end gaming PC (that will likely be outmoded by the time PS5 is released).

Hard to compare this for that, and we don't know too much about RDNA 3 or any intended CPU improvement, but I'll bite...

Ryzen 3800 (Zen 2; possibly on a smaller node with a speed bump ~3.8ghz)
16GB DDR5
1TB PCI-E nvme
6800 XT (with improved RT performance, FSR support)

In essence, a current high-end gaming PC (that will likely be outmoded by the time PS5 is released).
That's generally the way of it. Consoles mainly punch above their weight through strong optimizations in hardware and software; specs equal to a mid-range PC can be impressive in a console simply because developers can wring every last drop of performance out of them. Well, that and you're paying $399-499 for specs that might cost you hundreds more in a PC.

That's generally the way of it. Consoles mainly punch above their weight through strong optimizations in hardware and software; specs equal to a mid-range PC can be impressive in a console simply because developers can wring every last drop of performance out of them. Well, that and you're paying $399-499 for specs that might cost you hundreds more in a PC.
I'm fine with the hip hop of the mid-gen console updates. Much better than what we had with ps3/360 where console games (ad by extension, PC) stagnated for 7 years. By the time those consoles were at end of cycle, PC GPUs had eclipsed them by four gens.

I'm fine with the hip hop of the mid-gen console updates. Much better than what we had with ps3/360 where console games (ad by extension, PC) stagnated for 7 years. By the time those consoles were at end of cycle, PC GPUs had eclipsed them by four gens.
It wasn't too bad for much of that cycle, I found, but there was definitely a point later on where you could easily tell that multi-platform developers weren't eking the most out of PC hardware. The lines blurred somewhat with the PS4 and Xbox One, since many of those games still look reasonably good.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X/S flip the script to a degree — it'll take years before PC games catch up on optimization for high-speed storage, since Windows developers can't yet assume you have an SSD (let alone ones as quick as in current-gen consoles). Microsoft isn't expected to require SSDs in new OEM Windows PCs until 2023 or 2024. You might see an oddity late in the console cycle where PC games are ahead in some areas but only just catching up (or still behind) in others.

Back