PlayStation 5 DualSense Controller Reveal

My hand does get sore after using a 360 controller for long periods, but never for the PS2. Though I haven't gamed for long periods on the PS2 in many years. I find the bottom of the 360 to protrude too much and it ends up hurting the area between my thumb and finger and the side of the finger as well. Maybe the specific area is off, but whenever I played a long game over a period of 3-4 days, that would tend to become an issue.

I find that the Switch Pro Controller which is flatter on the bottom doesn't have this issue for me.

Though I am not seeing how the PS2/3/4 style controller can cause cramping but if people say it is a problem then it likely is for them. But they're pretty much placed where your thumbs naturally sit. But since they're changing the grip shape and look, they may as well go ahead and just mimic the Xbox/Nintendo layout.
The DualShock 4 isn't the same as the prior versions. The controller is wider, the sticks are farther apart, and the stick are higher up. The angle that this puts my thumbs in is what causes cramping, especially with first-person shooters when I constantly need to use both stick at the same time. The second version of the DS4 made the controller a little narrower and changed the angle of the grips, but I have not personally tried one yet. I honestly don't think I'd bother now that I have the SCUF I showed above.

1586377914020.png
1586378169519.png

I still greatly prefer the layout and feel of dualshocks to the Xbox360, so I'm bummed it looks like sony is moving towards that direction. This PS5 thing looks bleh.

Reactions: zehoo
like this
Looks great to me. I imagine the console itself is two-tone as well? That will be a nice change for Sony.

Also, I already set my mind to buy the PS5. I think people's satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the controller is directly tied to whether they were planning on buying the console already or not.

Looks great to me. I imagine the console itself is two-tone as well? That will be a nice change for Sony.

Also, I already set my mind to buy the PS5. I think people's satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the controller is directly tied to whether they were planning on buying the console already or not.
day 1 baby.

Everyone saying that it is Xbox like, I literally linked a post with a gif disproving that. Read the posts ppl, the colors give an illusion that does not fit when seeing it directly one on top of the other.

0ta7ns70jhr41.gif

There, I didn't want to hotlink it but I guess that this is the only way ;-p
0ta7ns70jhr41.gif

Last edited:
Everyone saying that it is Xbox like, I literally linked a post with a gif disproving that. Read the posts ppl, the colors give an illusion that does not fit when seeing it directly one on top of the other.

View attachment 236503

There, I didn't want to hotlink it but I guess that this is the only way ;-pView attachment 236503

The grip angle is notably different though. We all know the joystick layout is mostly the same, if that is what you're referring to.

There, I didn't want to hotlink it but I guess that this is the only way ;-p

Wow that's actually really cool, thanks for the gif. My only sticking point would be that going from DS4 to DS5 might be a small change, but there's been enough small changes from DS2 to DS5 that its starting to accumulate. Oddly enough i think one of the things i might miss is the harder corners between the analogue sticks and the inside of the hand rest as i feel like i use that as a gripping point with my middle finger. I may be imagining it though, I didn't exactly love the DS4 when it was introduced.

I will almost certainly get a PS5 at some point, and the only thing that keeps me from being a day 1 kind of guy is that i rarely get gen1 of a system.

The grip angle is notably different though. We all know the joystick layout is mostly the same, if that is what you're referring to.

Put a ruler against the screen while the gif is playing. Or you mean thickness from the side, I haven't seen that measured in a gif.

Interesting that they don't have any photos of the back of the controller. I was really interested to see if they were going to implement back buttons since they just released that $30 accessory recently for the DS4 that's been sold out everywhere (so the demand is there). I'm not sure how I feel about how they did the two tone, but the rest of the controller seems good.

It's also really funny seeing people treat their opinion on stick placement preference as fact that it is the superior placement. I use the Xbox One Elite controller for my PC and the DS4 for my PS4 (obviously); both stick placements are fine for me and I honestly don't have a preference. I've been using Xbox and DualShock controllers for the past 15-20 years so I've had time to get fully accustomed to both layouts.

I'd argue that Sony made a massive leap forward with the DS4 controller while Microsoft went backwards with the One controller; I hate how loose the sticks are, the Xbox One Elite Series 2 controller was a god send with the tensioners. Looking forward to try out both the next gen controllers!

My favorite controller was the 360, then overtime the Dual Shock 4. However I must say after playing with the Switch Pro Controller. It’s my favorite at the moment. It lasts forever and feels great.

The analog sticks don’t bother me either way tbh.

This dual sense controller looks like a nice compromise between functionality and familiarity. The light bar being more in front is a smart design move for the most part, built in mic should have a mute button on the controller though.

It’s a fine upgrade, I just pray to whomever listens that the battery is gigantic. My Dual Shock 4s have terrible battery life. I’ve replaced 2 of them that aren’t any better. I have 5 that I rotate through (well 4 since one is for Cemu) and use 2 of the official charging docks that cost 35 bucks from Japan a few years ago.

Both companies seem to be approaching this generation way differently. Sony has invested a lot into the controller obviously and their storage solution while MS has decided to brute force power with software on the backend.

I wish Sony would have a custom Elite store like MS and I wish they would have rounded sticks Instead of concaved but I’m probably an outlier.

What we had better see is built in Bluetooth for their headphones. Most annoying thing in the world is using a USB stick for their headphones on their system.

Guess I don't game much to care where the analog sticks are mounted.
Mainly used ps1 style controllers, but had little or no issues with DC or MS layout styles.
If you wanta lousy controller, use an Intellivision one, that was a pure pain to use back then.
Don't know how this will feel in my hands, last PS controller I used was a PS3's.
Much rather see a all black one instead of a dual tone. Light bar looks better than that big blob on the 4's.

The lateral angle is literally the same. I don't think we have any profile shots yet to see the longitudinal angle. I think the change in the way the bottom of the grips is throwing you off.
Wow that's actually really cool, thanks for the gif. My only sticking point would be that going from DS4 to DS5 might be a small change, but there's been enough small changes from DS2 to DS5 that its starting to accumulate. Oddly enough i think one of the things i might miss is the harder corners between the analogue sticks and the inside of the hand rest as i feel like i use that as a gripping point with my middle finger. I may be imagining it though, I didn't exactly love the DS4 when it was introduced.

I will almost certainly get a PS5 at some point, and the only thing that keeps me from being a day 1 kind of guy is that i rarely get gen1 of a system.
There's a DualShock 5? Got a link?

Put a ruler against the screen while the gif is playing. Or you mean thickness from the side, I haven't seen that measured in a gif.

I'm talking about how it is rounded off on traditional Dual Shocks, where as the insides of the grip are flatter Xbox style.

I just hope they put a better battery in the DS5. Battery on DS4 is a joke.

Or to make the triggers concave, not convex. The Xbox triggers manage to catch the user's fingers as the trigger is depressed, whereas the playstation triggers make the user's fingers want to slide off.

DS4 triggers are ever so slightly concave. They’re still not great but they are worlds ahead of what the DS3 had for triggers.

Hate all you want but I like it better then the offset Xbox controller.

I ended up buying some third party controllers to match the offset Xbox controller for my PS. I prefer it more than the standard PS layout. At least since the PS3. Before that, it was all PS.

Once you get used to something, that's what you prefer for the most part. I'm best at PC as that's my main platform. I'm good with the Xbox layout. I suck with the PS layout. Same games, just different controller layout. Just what you're used to and good at. One isn't better than the other, it's just what you're used to. Personal preference.

Only issue I had with PS4 controller is my hands cramped up, got a Xim and used my PS3 controller on it until I got a xbone then started using that instead since its buttons are better.

I find the DS4 too small for my hands, feels like I'm turning a wheel in a Tonka truck. The XBox controllers always felt better. Hoping this design works better for those of us with larger hands.

That said, my ideal would be a modern control designed around the original Sega Genesis controllers. Those felt perfect.

Hmm I'm starting to think that some peeps are indeed gripping the controller in weird ways. I don't mean that as a sly against anyone, just a fact and something that happens. With big hands your indexes should be almost touching each other at the top, so the grips sit on your palm and the thumbs rest more comfortably on the sticks /buttons.

Again this is not a sly remark but a comment from things I have seen, the shoulder buttons with big hands are pressed not with the tip but middle of the finger or a bit lower. Hopefully this helps some.

you need additional software to use the PS4 controller on PC..?
No you don't. Not with windows 10 at least.

actually if you want your computer to see it as an xbox controller then yes. it's really simple though and a couple different ways of doing it. the way i have mine setup now is using Xinput Wrapper . So now when i plug my controller in it automatically sees it as an xbox controller and all games work as they should. no software to run. no difficult setup through steam.
check this vid

actually if you want your computer to see it as an xbox controller then yes. it's really simple though and a couple different ways of doing it. the way i have mine setup now is using Xinput Wrapper . So now when i plug my controller in it automatically sees it as an xbox controller and all games work as they should. no software to run. no difficult setup through steam.
check this vid

thanks will look into it when i got a controller

Wonder if they will support the ds4 on the Playstation 5? Microsoft already announced that all Xbox one controllers will be forward comparable with the new Xbox which is a very big pro consumer move.

thanks will look into it when i got a controller
yeah also when using PS controllers w/ PC rumble is broke so just disable it in game settings IF you have problems. Other than that works perfect. personally i just cant use xbox controllers because of thumbstick location. just doesn't feel right. so hope this helps you out, wouldn't want anyone to have to be forced to use that goofy hunk a junk. LONG LIVE THE PS CONTROLLER!!! ⚡✊⚡

shoot, i don't see why they just don't make, at least, some aftermarket xbox controllers that have proper thumb stick orientation? would prob sell more systems. i know for someone like me i would never buy an xbox JUST because of the controller. Heck they even make PS cotrollers w/ the xbox t.s. locations. Why not the other way around?

I ended up buying some third party controllers to match the offset Xbox controller for my PS. I prefer it more than the standard PS layout. At least since the PS3. Before that, it was all PS.

Once you get used to something, that's what you prefer for the most part. I'm best at PC as that's my main platform. I'm good with the Xbox layout. I suck with the PS layout. Same games, just different controller layout. Just what you're used to and good at. One isn't better than the other, it's just what you're used to. Personal preference.
I used the DualShock controllers for 7 years before I touched an Xbox controller and I instantly like the latter more. Familiarity has nothing to do with. Stubbornness, resistance to change, or fanboyism is probably more likely.
check this vid

That video is for the DualShock 3. The DualShock 4 is absolutely plug & play with Windows 10. I have not run into any game yet that does not work with the DualShock 4 without third-party software. You'd probably have issues in some old GFWL games.

For long gaming sessions I definitely prefer the Xbox controller. In particular I like the rounded edges of the 360 pad, but the weight and sticks of the X1.

I'm curious if this new controller will work with Sony's wireless dongle for the PC. For all of its faults, I still prefer Sony's PS4 pad for anything that needs a D-Pad.

I used the DualShock controllers for 7 years before I touched an Xbox controller and I instantly like the latter more. Familiarity has nothing to do with. Stubbornness, resistance to change, or fanboyism is probably more likely.
Or maybe, just maybe...it IS personal preference? Just because you instantly liked and preferred the Xbox controller doesn’t mean it’s the same situation for everyone.

I preferred the Xbox Controller S over the DualShock 2, I preferred the Xbox 360 controller over the DualShock 3, and if I had to choose between the DualShock 4 and the Xbox One controller I’d choose the DualShock 4. Only reason I use my Xbox One Elite controller on PC is due to the back paddles otherwise I’d probably be using a DualShock 4 exclusively. So my experience is technically the opposite of yours.

Just for funsies,

GC>DualShock4>Xbox 360/1>Xbox Duke/S>DualShock 1/2/3

Gamecube controller had awesome ergonomics, fight me. (Sticks didn’t click and Dpad was awful, but it was comfy.)

Just for funsies,

GC>DualShock4>Xbox 360/1>Xbox Duke/S>DualShock 1/2/3

Gamecube controller had awesome ergonomics, fight me. (Sticks didn’t click and Dpad was awful, but it was comfy.)

This gets into an interesting aspect for me which is "is comfort a higher priority than function?"

Obviously this is an "all other things being equal" kind of thing and typically the 2 go hand in hand so the actual answer is gonna lie somewhere near "yes to a degree", but in this example you list the GC as the best despite having functional issues. Another prime example is the original NES controllers, they usually function well but good lord are they brutal on the hands both in size and sharp edges.

This gets into an interesting aspect for me which is "is comfort a higher priority than function?"

Obviously this is an "all other things being equal" kind of thing and typically the 2 go hand in hand so the actual answer is gonna lie somewhere near "yes to a degree", but in this example you list the GC as the best despite having functional issues. Another prime example is the original NES controllers, they usually function well but good lord are they brutal on the hands both in size and sharp edges.
I listed it best in ergonomics purely. And for the games you could play with it at the time it was perfectly functional despite less function than competitors controllers.

I mean, there’s gotta be a reason 3rd parties are still making it today for the Switch right? I mean besides playing Smash there is probably a reason.

That video is for the DualShock 3. The DualShock 4 is absolutely plug & play with Windows 10. I have not run into any game yet that does not work with the DualShock 4 without third-party software. You'd probably have issues in some old GFWL games.
i understand you say it works, but you're telling me when you play say GTA it shows up as an xbox controller?
because most AAA games don't have native support for PS or ANY other controllers. ONLY XBOX! Hell even PS3 controller is supported by the OS but not by a lot of games. you must only play emulators or something.

and no it's not stubornness... it's called PREFERANCE. Some people don't like the f'n xbox controller. we're all glad you do. ....resistance to change. dude, change isn't always good. get over it.

and @fist003 most of the PS controller to Xbox controller programs work for DS3 & DS4

Last edited:
i understand you say it works, but you're telling me when you play say GTA it shows up as an xbox controller?
because most AAA games don't have native support for PS or ANY other controllers. ONLY XBOX! Hell even PS3 controller is supported by the OS but not by a lot of games. you must only play emulators or something.

and no it's not stubornness... it's called PREFERANCE. Some people don't like the f'n xbox controller. we're all glad you do. ....resistance to change. dude, change isn't always good. get over it.

and @fist003 most of the PS controller to Xbox controller programs work for DS3 & DS4

thanks for the info. now we wait for the new controllers to be launched

Back