PlayStation 4 Gamepad Support on Windows?

djoye

2[H]4U
How well does the PS4 gamepad work on Windows? I'm under the impression that a wired connection seems to ensure all functionality and the wireless adapters may be flaky (unless you buy an original Sony BT adapter?). Do games usually have the proper button icons for the PS4 controller?

How well does the PS4 gamepad work on Windows? I'm under the impression that a wired connection seems to ensure all functionality and the wireless adapters may be flaky (unless you buy an original Sony BT adapter?). Do games usually have the proper button icons for the PS4 controller?

Depends on the game and the platform where the game is being played from. Steam does a pretty good job with the DS4. I played Surge 2 on Steam and it was flawless and the game itself had all the correct DS4 button prompts.

I use DS4Windows and it works in most games (I can't remember one that didn't off the top of my head). Only in newer games can you get proper PS4 icons, in most older games they are XB360 prompts. Steam does well in this area also but the same applies about the prompts only newer games really support changing Icon prompts. Though for several older games you can get skin mods for them that will change prompts if it bothers you that much.

It's plug and play as a DirectInput device with Windows 10 over USB. You need DS4Windows for Bluetooth and/or if you want to use with games that only support XInput. As mentioned, you can use it in Steam without additional software over USB for pretty much any game launched through it.

I had a wide variety of issues with dropped inputs using all of the community-made wireless methods.
The official Sony wireless adapter is fantastic, though. No dropped inputs and supported games either give you the PS4 input prompts OR they just treat it like an Xbox pad and show you those prompts. I only paid $25 for it, but it seems like supplies are low and a lot of retailers are gouging for them right now. I've noticed the same thing with video game accessories of all sorts.

I have used a PS4 controller on the PC with varying results. I admit I like using the Logitech F310 controller better than the PS4 controller and have never had any issues on any PC game with it.

Just want to mention if you have issues with the DS4 via bluetooth with your motherboard bluetooth it might be because the antenna is not in a good spot. I noticed this with my current rig. My old PC I didn't have to do a thing to get bluetooth working right with the DS4 the antennas were on the back but I had no issues with drops or anything and it was in the same spot my current rig now occupies. But on my current rig, it was dropping out and failing to connect a lot of times. The controller was only stable if I physically moved it towards the back of the tower case. The fix was to get a wire to move the antenna closer to my seated position towards the front of my case and it solved all my issues. I happen to have an old wireless antenna stand w/ wire from an old motherboard so it cost me nothing. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HUACAM-HCM35N-Magnetic-Connector-Extension/dp/B01FJHLVOM?th=1

I just put the wire end on one of the antenna connectors in the back and put the stand on the front top of my case and connected the antenna to the base and it works perfectly now. Not as plug and play as the Sony Wireless adapter but a cheaper solution especially if you can connect to the bluetooth of you PC but have issues with signal quality where you are playing from.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back