PlayStation 3 + SSD = ???

Starbomba

Limp Gawd
I currently own a PS3 SuperSlim and a PS4 Fat. Both have the stock 500 GB 5400 RPM (?) HDDs. As I play only a handful of games on both (I play a total of 6 games between both consoles, 3 games on each) I do not need such humongous storage, but I'd like to decrease my load times on both consoles, as all but two of the games I play are rhythm games, so reloading songs every 5 minutes or less tends to be boring.

So far, I have a 128 GB SSD, a 180 GB SSD and a 250 GB 7200 RPM HDD I could use on any console and I'd still have room to spare.

I am almost sure my PS4 will end up getting either SSD, but the thing I am not sure is if the PS3 will benefit from an SSD or should I stick to the 7200 RPM HDDs. Is there any advantage of adding a SSD to a PS3?

As far as I know all versions of the PS3 use first gen SATA controllers, meaning 1.5 Gbps (188 MBps) maximum transfer speed. In other words, an SSD would be a waste to stick in a PS3. Just get the fastest spinner that will fit.

Also FYI: the latest PS4 firmware update added external storage support similar to the Xbox ONE.

The primary benefit of an SSD is not the sequential bandwidth, so the controller speed will only play a limited role in the performance on a console. Yes, a SSD does benefit a PS3 but the results won't blow you away, and it can really vary by title.

I'd recommend jumping on YouTube and searching for "PS3 SSD" and checking out the before/after videos before you decide.

I currently own a PS3 SuperSlim and a PS4 Fat. Both have the stock 500 GB 5400 RPM (?) HDDs. As I play only a handful of games on both (I play a total of 6 games between both consoles, 3 games on each) I do not need such humongous storage, but I'd like to decrease my load times on both consoles, as all but two of the games I play are rhythm games, so reloading songs every 5 minutes or less tends to be boring.

So far, I have a 128 GB SSD, a 180 GB SSD and a 250 GB 7200 RPM HDD I could use on any console and I'd still have room to spare.

I am almost sure my PS4 will end up getting either SSD, but the thing I am not sure is if the PS3 will benefit from an SSD or should I stick to the 7200 RPM HDDs. Is there any advantage of adding a SSD to a PS3?

As someone who actually put an SSD in their PS3, there was a significant drop in load times across the board. Whether it is worth it, is a more subjective view. I mainly did it because the load times in GT5 were ridiculous. It was much improved with the SSD. Personally I used an OCZ Agility 250 as that is what I had lying around after upgrading my PC with Samsung SSDs. Here is an article that basically talks about exactly what I did as well. The SATA controller is limited, so you aren't going to get blazing speeds, and the upgrade really only helps with install and load times, so it won't 'play' games any faster, just decrease the load times within those games. But that seems to be what you are after here.

From what I know installing a good 7200 hard drive will give you a nice performance boost but going from 7200 to ssd is not a very big jump in speed due to the sata 1 port.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with my 250 GB HDD, a WD Black. It's no SSD, but it can do up to 95 MB reads/writes over SATA II, which should be leagues above the bundled HDD. I will be using the 128 GB SSD on my PS4 though.

Back