Playstation 2 turns 20 today.

I never had a PS2 (actually, my first Playstation was the PS4) but my roommate had one and we played a bunch.

Probably the sickest experience was the first Manhunt. That game was insane, so intense.

Matrix was pretty good too but I got stuck on one mission. And Jak and Daxter was cool. Obviously ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

Had a lot of fun with Katamari Damacy. And Silent Hill 2 (sadly I never owned the game, just played for a few hours at the friend's house).

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeealy hoping PS5 can play all those classics. That would just make my day.

I never had a PS2 (actually, my first Playstation was the PS4) but my roommate had one and we played a bunch.

Probably the sickest experience was the first Manhunt. That game was insane, so intense.

Matrix was pretty good too but I got stuck on one mission. And Jak and Daxter was cool. Obviously ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

Had a lot of fun with Katamari Damacy. And Silent Hill 2 (sadly I never owned the game, just played for a few hours at the friend's house).

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeealy hoping PS5 can play all those classics. That would just make my day.
oh god yeah Katamari games are great

Honestly just go and buy a PS2 and collect the games. It's a super fun hobby and there are literally thousands and thousands of games that most people who stuck to PC gaming throughout their lives or some other console exclusively missed out on. There are a bunch of places where you can buy working consoles, and if you don't have an older TV to play them on (which is preferred) then you can buy a cheap $10 RCA to HDMI converter and connect it to any modern TV. The graphics will look muddy, but still very doable and still looks good.

1. SNES
  2. PS1
  3. PS2
  4. PS4
  5. PS3
  6. NES
  7. N64
  8. GC
  9. Genesis
  10. Dreamcast.
  1. Dreamcast. (loved that thing!)
  2. N64 (didn't have one but wished I did, Smash Bros for days!)
  3. Xbox (Still play SWBF2 and SW Episode III on emulators with my friends)
  4. Xbox 360 (Good times with PGR 3,4 and Forza 4, but probably had more hours playing SWBF2 on this console lol)
  5. PS3 (Bought GT5 but was very underwhelming, had most hours playing LittleBigPlanet, other than that, Bluray movies...
  6. PS1 (Played CTR the most, I do remember playing Spyro, I also had GT 1 or 2, can't remember which, but I had the full steering wheel and pedal setup. Sold the console later with everything and all games for $100 to buy more games for the Dreamcast)
I don't get the love for Sony Playstations, I have always hated their controllers with a passion, very uncomfortable for me to play for long periods, the Xbox's offset analog sticks were way more comfortable.

I don't get the love for Sony Playstations, I have always hated their controllers with a passion, very uncomfortable for me to play for long periods, the Xbox's offset analog sticks were way more comfortable.

Did you ever get to use one of the original xbox controllers? The ones meant for giants? It was like they tried to do everything opposite of sony, but at least their layout started a trend that i love to use.

Well this is debatable. Perhaps looking in hindsight you would be right, but that's like saying "I don't understand why people love the Atari 2600 controller. The Xbox controller is way better." The simple fact is the Playstation controller was around for over 6 years by the time the first Xbox launched, and don't forget how shitty that enormous original Xbox controller was. As far as love of the PS controller... it comes down to what you are used to. If you've always had Playstation then you prefer the Playstation controller. Every Playstation controller generation has been an improvement so today I find both the Xbox and PS controllers great, but I do agree the Xbox controller is more comfortable however I have no issues whatsoever using a PS controller even for longer game sessions.

Well this is debatable. Perhaps looking in hindsight you would be right, but that's like saying "I don't understand why people love the Atari 2600 controller. The Xbox controller is way better." The simple fact is the Playstation controller was around for over 6 years by the time the first Xbox launched, and don't forget how shitty that enormous original Xbox controller was. As far as love of the PS controller... it comes down to what you are used to. If you've always had Playstation then you prefer the Playstation controller. Every Playstation controller generation has been an improvement so today I find both the Xbox and PS controllers great, but I do agree the Xbox controller is more comfortable however I have no issues whatsoever using a PS controller even for longer game sessions.

Fighting games with a controller for me is hands down playstation controller same with 2d side scrollers. I have xbox one and ps4 controllers at my pc, use either depending on the game. I am partial to the xbox for comfort and that it does take batteries. I have a nimh recharge station in the same room so it is quick to swap and no cables needed. :D

1. Dreamcast. (loved that thing!)
  2. N64 (didn't have one but wished I did, Smash Bros for days!)
  3. Xbox (Still play SWBF2 and SW Episode III on emulators with my friends)
  4. Xbox 360 (Good times with PGR 3,4 and Forza 4, but probably had more hours playing SWBF2 on this console lol)
  5. PS3 (Bought GT5 but was very underwhelming, had most hours playing LittleBigPlanet, other than that, Bluray movies...
  6. PS1 (Played CTR the most, I do remember playing Spyro, I also had GT 1 or 2, can't remember which, but I had the full steering wheel and pedal setup. Sold the console later with everything and all games for $100 to buy more games for the Dreamcast)
I don't get the love of the Xbox controller. It just feels weird and awkward in my hands. The PS controller works perfectly for me. It really annoys me with PC games that don't have PS button overlays when I use my PS4 controller on PC. Enough so that I will get the PS4 version instead.

Fighting games with a controller for me is hands down playstation controller same with 2d side scrollers. I have xbox one and ps4 controllers at my pc, use either depending on the game. I am partial to the xbox for comfort and that it does take batteries. I have a nimh recharge station in the same room so it is quick to swap and no cables needed. :D

I totally agree. I actually love the fact that the Xbox controller takes plain old AA batteries. I have a wall charger that holds 4 rechargeable double A batteries, and whenever the Xbox runs low I swap out quick, put the run-down ones on the charger and i'm good to go for an extended session. With the PS4 and PS3 controllers I had to always plug the controller into the console to charge it. However i've gotten smart over the past couple months and now use my large 10,000 mah usb charger pack to keep the PS4 controller charging while playing and away from the console. I hated having to use a overly long micro-usb cable to charge the PS4 controller and PS3 controller while playing.

No it's not debateable.
You cannot debate personal preference, its an opinion.
The PS1 was my 1st console, hated the controllers but that wasn't enough for me to not play it.
2nd console was a dreamcast, controller was weird at first but young me got used to it real quick and loved it.
Got an Xbox in 2001 and it came with a big and small controller I think (at least that's what we had). Big controller was mine and was still better for me than the ps1 controller.
PS3 controller is exactly the same layout but that still didn't prevent us from buying one, but I knew going in that I would hate the controllers.

I don't get the love of the Xbox controller. It just feels weird and awkward in my hands. The PS controller works perfectly for me. It really annoys me with PC games that don't have PS button overlays when I use my PS4 controller on PC. Enough so that I will get the PS4 version instead.

The Xbox 360 is by far my favorite controller, but I don't let that inhibit me from buying consoles unless the games aren't worth it to me.
The switch joycons are some of the worst, but I freaking love smash bros!
I was mostly talking about the Playstation console itself, mostly just the PS2 though, I don't understand why the PS2 was so popular because I never really liked any games on it, and the games I did like were also on the Xbox and the Xbox "looked better" on those games (SWBF2, etc)

Last edited:
No it's not debateable.
You cannot debate personal preference, its an opinion.
The PS1 was my 1st console, hated the controllers but that wasn't enough for me to not play it.
2nd console was a dreamcast, controller was weird at first but young me got used to it real quick and loved it.
Got an Xbox in 2001 and it came with a big and small controller I think (at least that's what we had). Big controller was mine and was still better for me than the ps1 controller.
PS3 controller is exactly the same layout but that still didn't prevent us from buying one, but I knew going in that I would hate the controllers.

It is debatable because you started with "I don't understand the love for the PS controller" which to me means you don't understand why there are some people who have a preference/opinion towards one controller over the other, and B we are on a discussion forum and thus debating it. You're right that it's entirely a preference thing, but I was only pointing out that the Playstation was around for over 6 years by the time the original Xbox controller launched which means there were already a bunch of people who were used to Sony's style by the time the Xbox came along. And people as old as me remember that era, but even personally speaking having used PS controllers more than Xbox controllers I still prefer the Xbox controller especially for first person shooters (but still nothing beats KB+M).

As a P.S. I always wanted Sony to take a plunge and use the controller they originally unveiled for the PS3. I just imagined how comfortable it would be to hold... nice and round that contours to the hands. If I had a 3D printer I would totally make one and dissect a PS4 or PS3 remote to put inside of it.

6w9ms0tv8ne21.jpg

https://www.ign.com/articles/2008/12/01/the-boomerang-what-might-have-been

Last edited:
It is debatable because you started with "I don't understand the love for the PS controller"

Let me correct you...

I don't get the love for Sony Playstations,......

That's better..
I you read my post before your last one you would've seen that.
I was talking about Sony Playstations, not Playstation Controllers.
You just implied that since I said "I don't get the love for Sony Playstations" that it applied to controllers also, but the very next part said nothing about "not understanding" love/hate for controllers at all.
Also the idea that the PS controller came 1st has nothing to do with my preference. The PS controller is the 1st one I've ever used on any gaming system. I never had anything to compare it to until I played a N64 and got my Dreamcast, then as far as controllers go, it was 3rd place (out of 3), and stayed at the bottom ever since for me.

All of this talk about controllers, as a kid I thought that once the Playstation controller added Dualshock and analog sticks it was so cool (we had both types of controller). When the OG xbox came out, I didnt think the controller was uncomfortable to use, as I did spend a lot of time in the base exchange playing the Kiosks with the display PS2 and Xbox. Remember NFL Fever? The demo had the Colts and the Jets if I recall correctly. The PS2 one had Jak and Daxter. I was able to have a literal A/B comparison between the 2 at the time..

I will say this, and I still hold this opinion. I like the triggers on Xbox much more, and the concave dip in the thumbstick. Along with the tiny nubs that were added in the smaller controller, the thumbsticks had a nicer feel. The buttons on the xbox controller had a more tactile feel and were more pronounced and easier to differentiate than the all flat buttons on the playstation.

With the OG xbox controller, I had a hard time pressing the black and white button with my small child hands at the time, I remember this the first time that I played Halo.

As I got older and my hands got bigger, I found myself preferring the Xbox controllers. I have a 9 1/4 hand if you measure it the way the NFL measures QB hands btw.

Every time I pick up a playstation controller it is fine, but I very much prefer the xbox.

Xbox 360 may have had the best controller of all time. I remember trying COD 2 at Best Buy when it first came out and thought "I have to have this" just because of the controller.

Xbox 360 may have had the best controller of all time. I remember trying COD 2 at Best Buy when it first came out and thought "I have to have this" just because of the controller.

As someone with arthritis, I agree completely. Its the only controller I can use for extended periods of time and not be in a ton of pain. I still use wired ones for my PC to play side scrollers, action, racing and other titles where a mouse doesn't feel right.

I got my PS2 Slim around the time I first started working a proper day job.
Fun fact: I only played two games on it: Gran Turismo 3 and Gran Turismo 4.
I sold it after finishing both games, only to purchase one again to play Gran Turismo 4 again about a year or so later.

Then I made the mistake of purchasing Liberty City Stories, which was a GTA3 expansion that never came to PC.
That was when I realized it is impossible for me to play any shooter with a controller. So it's not a "Get off my lawn dirty console peasants" thing as some have accused me.
Neither here nor there, but Liberty City Stories was a PSP game originally (developed after even San Andreas).
But I doubt that actually factored into the ports controls, also the controls in GTA are kind trash anyways.

My ex-wife and I bought the original XBox and then bought the smaller controllers. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not the original or the smaller size is better. I still have that XBox but haven't played it in years.

FIFA 07 and NHL 07 were my absolute favorites. So much fun beating my mates and breaking discs in the process as well

Back