• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Playing with Generic Systems

Do you think its reasonable? Ultimately what affects the system the most is the OS and not the parts so its blank slate. Just looking into some input on the subject.
 
um... No. I would not buy that system.

ESPECIALLY if you are planning on adding a 6800GT to it. The card draws a lot of power, and it's likely that the PSU is already pushing its limits.

and 40GB is not enough hard drive space.
and 256MB of ram is nowhere near enough.

You have no idea if the system even has an AGP or PCI-E port, or any expansion ports at all!

For all you know, it may have 2 empty PCI slots and that's it!
What kind of RAM does it have? it could have the old SDRAM. I bet it does. or a 2100 stick of DDR maybe.
 
I would stay away from 478. You would be better of buying parts. This deal is out of stock anyway.

 
[v]@bans said:
Do you think its reasonable? Ultimately what affects the system the most is the OS and not the parts so its blank slate. Just looking into some input on the subject.

The thing that affects the gaming performance of the system is NOT mainly the OS... its actually only a very small contributing factor.

Who the heck told you that?

To get a reasonable system you are going to end up tossing most of that system so there isn't much point. You'd be better off buying a cheap dell system, at least you'd know what was in there. Remember, unless you are in college, you are going to be spending about another $100 on an operating system. You have no idea what you are getting with this system.

I would *not* do it.
 
No one told me.. Just an assumption.. Thanks guys..

Since someone mentioned dell, are they are a good enough to deal for gaming? I saw a review at HARD OCP and it did rather poorly. I don't mind spending the money I'm just a bit impatient..
 
My friend bought a $400 e-machine and put a 512 stick and a 6600GT in it. It runs surprisingly good. He sold the ti4200 in it for the 512 stick, and I gave him my old 6600GT for $50. So he got a system that can run CoD2 on pretty decent settings for $450.
 
Back
Top