Playing Diablo 3 in 3D?

c00LaS1cE

Limp Gawd
I've read that playing the game in 3D is amazing and I'd like to try it out but don't want to shell out $500 for a 120Hz monitor + NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 before testing it out first. The local PC bangs don't have 3D kits and I don't know anyone personally who has it so I'm all out of ideas. I go back and forth between Riverside and Livermore, CA and am currently in Riverside. Suggestions?

You can do it in colored glasses 3d without a 3d monitor, the glasses etc, to get a feel for it. Any duotone glasses will work, though nvidia has it's own color scheme (blue and red or something) you can edit the registry to make it work with any color combination). This will make the game render everything twice like in real 3d, so you can test out the hardware. :D

Then if you like that, then the full 3d will be like that, just in full color.

You can do it in colored glasses 3d without a 3d monitor, the glasses etc, to get a feel for it. Any duotone glasses will work, though nvidia has it's own color scheme (blue and red or something) you can edit the registry to make it work with any color combination). This will make the game render everything twice like in real 3d, so you can test out the hardware. :D

Then if you like that, then the full 3d will be like that, just in full color.

Edit what registry, and how would I go about doing that?

I hooked my PC up to my Sammy D7000 and tried it both through the TV's "faux 3D" mode and through TriDef (I'm on an ATI card) and found it to be pretty decent. I almost liked my TV's fake 3d better because it didnt affect performance or introduce any input lake like the TriDef did (which was fixable by tweaking the TV settings for Game Mode)

Edit what registry, and how would I go about doing that?

If you have an nVidia card, just go into the driver properties and turn 3D on. Then you'll have two choices of modes -- one with the 3D kit, and one with the red/blue glasses. You'll want to pick 3D vision discover to check it out.

Discover is neat, but it's not as close to the depth and feel of a 3D kit with a 120hz monitor. I used discover a few times, but bought the Asus monitor and kit after trying it out at Fry's.

If discover is good enough for you, you get get some pretty decent glasses from ebay -- something a little better than the paper ones you get with DVDs...

If you have an nVidia card, just go into the driver properties and turn 3D on. Then you'll have two choices of modes -- one with the 3D kit, and one with the red/blue glasses. You'll want to pick 3D vision discover to check it out.

Discover is neat, but it's not as close to the depth and feel of a 3D kit with a 120hz monitor. I used discover a few times, but bought the Asus monitor and kit after trying it out at Fry's.

If discover is good enough for you, you get get some pretty decent glasses from ebay -- something a little better than the paper ones you get with DVDs...

This isn't possible on an AMD card? The comp I'm using (temporarily) for D3 has one.

Diablo 3 looks amazing in 3D on my Samsung S27A950D and AMD 7950. Since D3 runs at over 130Hz minimum on my system, I just left everything maxed out and it looks gorgeous in 3D. Because the frame rate is so high I don't get fatigue from staring at the screen which is a huge plus.

Too bad my Sammy isn't Nvision 2 compatible as I think it looks remarkably better than my nephew's 144Hz Asus VG278HE in 2D mode. Neither of our monitors are professionally calibrated so that might be the difference. He doesn't have the glasses yet to try 3D. Maybe this paycheck coming up he can get it.

Will playing Diablo 3 in 3D transform it into a good game?

This isn't possible on an AMD card? The comp I'm using (temporarily) for D3 has one.

I have no idea; all the 3D I've ever done has been with an nVidia card as they've had 3D discover in their driver for a long time now. ATI Might have something -- poke around in they driver panel and look for something about anaglyph or stereoscopic.

Last I knew you had to get a third party driver for ATI to have do anaglyph display (the red/blue cheap way to do it).

I have to repeat this, though -- while anaglyph is cool, it's far from the quality of a stereoscopic display. You're going to notice that everything is dark, and the depth isn't as good as it could be... not to mention that everything is going to get washed out from the red/blue film on the glasses. It's great to see 3D, but it's far from what a real 3D setup looks like.

Back