• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Playing Blu Ray from HDD

lone wolf

Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2003
Messages
705
Well I have made the leap to ripping my blu ray movies to my server. I just bought The Day the Earth Stood Still, and ripped it to my server using ANYDVD HD. Now when I try to play it back using PowerDVD Ultra, I can't find the file that starts the movie in that massive file structure.
Where do I go to start the movie to play?

thanks
 
Unless that version of power dvd is old it won't play from a folder. You'll have to make it into a iso and mount with something like daemon tools. An alternative is to mux it into a mkv.
 
Yes PDVD will not let you play files from the HDD anymore. A simple way around this is to rip them to an ISO with anydvd (as mentioned). I then use slysolft virtual drive (its free). Then powerdvd automatical plays them just like they were inserted into a drive.
 
Did as suggested, I ripped it again to .iso and downloaded daemon tools. played great. I even tested it over my network, and it played without as much as a stutter.

Thanks folks for the replies.
 
This is the first that blu ray that I have done

The Day the Earth Stood Still .iso = 41,707,072 kb
 
I strongly suggest you get the latest beta version of Virtual CloneDrive and use that rather than Daemon Tools. I've found it to be considerably faster and more reliable than DT.

The beta version includes a Daemon Tools emulation program, so if you have something that relies on DT (e.g. MediaPortal) you can use that.
 
This is the first that blu ray that I have done

The Day the Earth Stood Still .iso = 41,707,072 kb

OMG... you would need 10tb's to hold any type of collection :eek:

I didn't think they where actually using all that space on those br discs...
 
OMG... you would need 10tb's to hold any type of collection :eek:

I didn't think they where actually using all that space on those br discs...

Actually they are, its just that the actual movie itself is only taking up about half of that space, the rest is extras and other content, at least that's what I've seen from the couple of movies I've ripped so far with my Blu Ray drive that I got a couple of weeks ago, including "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

My LITEON drive came with PowerDVD as well, what garbage at least compare to ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theater. It has a plug in for Windows Media Center so you can play Blu Ray form Media Center. It costs $70 but its nice and it plays ripped movies no problem. Much better than PowerDVD IMHO.
 
Hey, hows that movie?? I'm debating whether or not to rent it.

Fair. If I wasn't on the unlimited rental plan at Hollywood video I would have been upset to have wasted my money on it. To see all the best action clips in the movie, just watch the trailer :)
 
Hey, hows that movie?? I'm debating whether or not to rent it.
I want the $1.50 (at least I saw it at the dollar theater) and 90 minutes of my life back. The original is much, much better. They really dumbed it down and completely missed the point the original was making.
 
I was going to see it in the theater, but after hearing some disturbing stuff about it, I decided to wait. boy I'm glad I did. As stated, the best scenes were in the trailer, though the other half liked it.

I'm not planning on ripping that many blu ray at this point, I just wanted to see how long the process took and if it looked just as good as the disc. I wasn't dissappointed.

I did find that Virtual clone drive to be alot easier to work with. And yes its free so that is the route that I took.
 
does anydvd hd allow you to rip 720p 5.1ss ~5gb files? I don't want to be taking up 30gb per movie.
 
Back
Top