Played the PS3 today

/337

Limp Gawd
I got to play the ps3 today during lunch. It was at the sony store and they had it set up on a nice HDTV. I have owned the xbox360 so I'm not a f4nb0y(fu censor) or anything like that. To be honest this thing is going to kick the xbox 360s ass when it has a bigger lineup of games. Motorstorm absolutley blew me away. It looked like a damn movie was being played, only I was controling it. The cell processer does one hell of a job controlling different phyics of Motorstorm. The enviorments in the desert are probably the best I've ever seen in a game. People may bash this system but before you do try it out for yourself. There is even a option in the settings to install a different os. Not sure what this means but I'm sure this thing will be hacked pretty fast. I myself have been planning on buying one to resell and getting a wii. But after my gaming session today I'm really thinking of keeping one.

It meens you can install Linux on it, as of right now Yellow Dog is the only official one that is working.

So does this mean that I would be able to use the ps3 software and have almost like a dual boot with yellow dog?

I'm really confused, everyone that I've spoken to who has played the demo version of motorstorm has told me it sucked and that I should reserve opinion for the US version which is coming in March and will have more polish.

mozes said:
So does this mean that I would be able to use the ps3 software and have almost like a dual boot with yellow dog?
exactly.

infact when you install the new OS. ps3 has features pre-setup for dual boot in the XMB. (for example, saving 10GB for Linux specifically if you choose to)

i saw the demo but was scared to play, but looks like a movie except for some things af/antialiasing but looks really good.

note235 said:
i saw the demo but was scared to play, but looks like a movie except for some things af/antialiasing but looks really good.
Scared?

Were you afraid it would make you cry like the baby in the commercial? :p

I saw it, graphics are really good but aren't anything better than the Xbox 360 can put out, so I disagree with the OP's opinion that it will "kick the Xbox 360's ass" in that regard.

Psychotext said:
I'm really confused, everyone that I've spoken to who has played the demo version of motorstorm has told me it sucked and that I should reserve opinion for the US version which is coming in March and will have more polish.

I played it as well, and while I agree that it's a fun game, it doesn't do anything that 360 can't do and still doesn't look as good as Gears of War (I know, I know, different genre).

The true bottom line is that PS3 and 360, as graphics powerhouses go, are about equal, and there's no getting around it. There is simply no reason that your average consumer should, at this point, give 2 farts about PS3, given the high price, limited availability and utter lack of exclusive software. For $200 less you've got a much better package with 360.

Hell, for $350 less you've got a more *fun* package with Wii, and a launch lineup that's 3-5 times what the PS3's having.

PWMK2 said:
I saw it, graphics are really good but aren't anything better than the Xbox 360 can put out, so I disagree with the OP's opinion that it will "kick the Xbox 360's ass" in that regard.

What he said.

And as for the "bigger lineup of games"; most of that is shovelware or half-assed ports of native Xbox 360 versions (Hello Rainbow Six: Vegas) with stripped down features.

LAWL..

I too played the PS3 at Target the other day, and Motorstorm was terrible. The jaggies ruined it for me.. sorry, overrated game and system. I didn't see ONE thing worth spending $200 more for over the 360.

Not a one.

DragonMasterAlex said:
I played it as well, and while I agree that it's a fun game, it doesn't do anything that 360 can't do and still doesn't look as good as Gears of War (I know, I know, different genre).

The true bottom line is that PS3 and 360, as graphics powerhouses go, are about equal, and there's no getting around it. There is simply no reason that your average consumer should, at this point, give 2 farts about PS3, given the high price, limited availability and utter lack of exclusive software. For $200 less you've got a much better package with 360.

Hell, for $350 less you've got a more *fun* package with Wii, and a launch lineup that's 3-5 times what the PS3's having.

Yep.

DragonMasterAlex said:
There is simply no reason that your average consumer should, at this point, give 2 farts about PS3, given the high price, limited availability and utter lack of exclusive software

This could quite possibly be the greatest explanation of the PS3 I've ever heard.

Played Motor Storm and it was ok, but not impressive. Nothing the xbox360 can't easily do. Enough said.

I haven't played one yet, but perhaps I'll get a chance this weekend finally. At this point I think it might be a year before the system actually gets enough good exclusives, to make me want to get one... but at 500-600 bucks I don't think I'll be doing so. I'll definitely have to wait for a price drop. Right now, with the exception of Resistence: Fall of Man, there's no other launch games that interest me... well there are a couple others, but they're either already on the 360, or will be.

The next few months it's the same senario. Numerous ports and mutli-console games that don't warrent a new expensive purchase.

I've played the ps3 last night at my local target. They had a demo system up and running. I played NBA07 and that motorstorm game. Frankly i wasn't that impressed. i don't know if it's the game or how it was setup, but i see jaggies everywhere. i checked the res and it was only running 720p so that might be the reason. But like i said i wasn't that impressed w/ the "demo" games. Thats probably why since they were just demo. Im sure later on there will be better games and the system will show it's true potential. The guy working the counter was nice enough to show me the system, it was hidden behind the glass case w/ a poster covering it. He said sony wasn't allowing them to show the system off just yet. He opened up the glass case and showed me the system, looks pretty slick but kinda bulky.
Btw they also had the wii on display and hooked up to a monitor but i couldn't find the controller so i didn't get to try it.
If any of you guys are around my area want to try it. It's the Target in Poway down here in San Diego.

that is software programming hardware is about equal.

There isn't a good car game out for xbox right now, but there probably wll be.

I compred NBA07 on both systems, seemed about the same to me....if anything xbox360 was a bit 'softer'

With the 360 I wasn't impressed with the demo kiosk at all... It was playing PGR3 I believe and It didn't look much better than GT4.

When I played Fight Night 3 on my friends ambilight HDTV I was finally impressed.

Yah more than likely it was their setup. Im sure w/ a 1080p lcd this system will look great.

Blur2u said:
Yah more than likely it was their setup. Im sure w/ a 1080p lcd this system will look great.

You don't need no stinking 1080p for a game or movie to look good. I've seen outstanding graphics at as little as 480p. If a game looks bad at 720p then they programmed it that way or the setup was incorrect.

yep, you're probably right..But it sure is nice to play games on a 1080p monitor. I have a 42" westy 1080p and id rather play on that than on a an old crt monitor..hehe

flapbreaker said:
You don't need no stinking 1080p for a game or movie to look good. I've seen outstanding graphics at as little as 480p. If a game looks bad at 720p then they programmed it that way or the setup was incorrect.

flapbreaker said:

...but..... but... "1080P" is the trendy new buzz word. Surely it must be better. Right?

DragonMasterAlex said:

I don't see how you can say you get a 'much better' package with the 360 for $200 less. If your sole use for the system is playing games, I will agree that you get a comparable system for a better value with the 360.

However, comparing the PS3 Base vs. the Xbox 360 Premium (where there is only a $100 difference) you get the same amount of hard drive space with the PS3, plus the Blu-Ray capability out of the box, while it will cost you $200 for the 360. Not to mention you also get access you a much greater game library in PS1 and PS2 titles with the PS3 than you get with Xbox original titles with the Xbox 360. Comparing premium to premium (with a $200 difference) you get the hard drive 3x as big, built in wifi, and the card reader (so no more overpriced memory cards). The Wii is the odd one out, and it does look like it has a nice line-up going for it, and the virtual console is a great idea, the killing factor for it (with me) is that the resolution is so low.

For the consumer without an HDTV and for kids the Wii looks like a solid choice, for those with an HDTV who only want to do games, the 360 is a nice choice, for the consumer with an HDTV who wants games, plus movies, the PS3 is the best buy.

Plus, the 360s launch line-up was thin as well, it is just now starting to get really good. Give it time and the PS3 will have lots of great exclusives as well.

I was at BB yesterday and they were in the process of setting it up. This was like at 9:30pm

Sky15 said:
I was at BB yesterday and they were in the process of setting it up. This was like at 9:30pm

Oh my,

What did you do with the rest of your night?

Where where you at 10:30PM? :D

Sky15 said:
Went home and played my 360 :D

lol

heart.gif

I have noticed a trend lately and it might help people understand where other people are coming from.

PS1 - PS2, Xbox and GameCube owners that haven't played the 360 are "BLOWN AWAY by the lifelike PS3 graphics".

Xbox 360 owners are like "No biggy...I gots bling too"

Wii owners are lacking HD but "rocking the nunchaku"

SLI & Crossfire PC owners are unimpressed with all of them

All the while the underlying debate rages on....NVIDIA graphics vs ATi graphics...the only difference is that this time they are in a console.

Steve said:
I have noticed a trend lately and it might help people understand where other people are coming from.

PS1 - PS2, Xbox and GameCube owners that haven't played the 360 are "BLOWN AWAY by the lifelike PS3 graphics".

All the while the underlying debate rages on....NVIDIA graphics vs ATi graphics...the only difference is that this time they are in a console.

But I have a SLI setup and I'm still impressed with 360 and ps3

Argument is flawed :D

Archaea said:
I compred NBA07 on both systems, seemed about the same to me....if anything xbox360 was a bit 'softer'
NBA07 isnt on both systems. Maybe talking about nba 2k7? Which would be odd since NBA 2k7 isnt in the PS3 kiosks.

Steve said:

I think Steve hit the nail on the head!

Back