Planetside 2

I don't think there is a right answer to this. Play on a server close to your location and have at it. Someone released some statistics that showed all factions are very balanced. Play around with everything and see what you like.

Personally, I play a lot of heavy assault with some medic so I've started to cert my heavy assault more. I'm awful at flying and only use tanks for a change of pace.

I really enjoy the game though, so easy to play in small chunks but can keep me entertained for hours if there is a good battle going.

Thanks for the info, I downloaded the game last night and watched some of the tutorial videos, then played till about 3 in the morning :cool:

I joined the west coast server and currently playing as NC medic. I had a hell of a time with the game crashing to desktop, but verifying game files via Steam seemed to help. Guess I should look around for more tweaks/stability improvements

Thanks for the info, I downloaded the game last night and watched some of the tutorial videos, then played till about 3 in the morning :cool:

I joined the west coast server and currently playing as NC medic. I had a hell of a time with the game crashing to desktop, but verifying game files via Steam seemed to help. Guess I should look around for more tweaks/stability improvements

Could this be a driver issue? I haven't had the game freeze since returning and I've logged probably 15 hours over 3 days.

Don't verify files via steam (unless you want to redownload 7+ GB of stuff)

Verify them via the game launcher.

I was testing the ingame recorder (sorry bout the audio ducking)

The new map UI notifications released on 4/17/13 sure do make the game more bearable. A few of the VS buffs were great as well.

Could this be a driver issue? I haven't had the game freeze since returning and I've logged probably 15 hours over 3 days.

Don't believe so, I'm using 314.22 and haven't seen any other CTD's in the games I'm playing right now.

Don't verify files via steam (unless you want to redownload 7+ GB of stuff)

I guess that makes sense seeing as Sony's data is more up-to-date. Thanks for the tip. I'll verify game files through the launcher from here on out

sounds like my girl. someone needs to do a psychological study on nerds that take games insanely seriously.

If he was just trollin people it would be one thing. His racist, bigot, griefing behavior existed back in the first Planetside as well. There are forum logs, voice comms, screenshots of his behavior but he gets a pass. I do believe he was perma banned in ps1 but its been so long I can't say that with 100% certainty.

I'm VERY torn on getting into this game or not. I was a HUGE fan of Planetside 1 for over a year before moving on. The whole pay for items thing is really hanging me up. Is it a barrier to entry? Is it really that hard to level and obtain new items?

I'm VERY torn on getting into this game or not. I was a HUGE fan of Planetside 1 for over a year before moving on. The whole pay for items thing is really hanging me up. Is it a barrier to entry? Is it really that hard to level and obtain new items?

certain weapons do take a very long time to unlock if you do not want to pay, but dont let that hold you back, the standard weapons are very good on their own, and there are others you can unlock that are very good without much effort to get. I have not found the weapon/item aquisition to be a hold up at all.

certain weapons do take a very long time to unlock if you do not want to pay, but dont let that hold you back, the standard weapons are very good on their own, and there are others you can unlock that are very good without much effort to get. I have not found the weapon/item aquisition to be a hold up at all.

How's the overall game-play? Just as fun as the original? I've got very fond memories of launching out of a Galaxy a mile up with a squad on top of an enemy base lol. The community back then was stellar, I use to play with a group called "Rolling Thunder". No clue if they still exist.

How's the overall game-play? Just as fun as the original? I've got very fond memories of launching out of a Galaxy a mile up with a squad on top of an enemy base lol. The community back then was stellar, I use to play with a group called "Rolling Thunder". No clue if they still exist.

I unfortunately never played the original, but ive been having a damn blast, and this is coming from someone who has been in a gaming slump the last 2 years, havnt enjoyed much of anything past the first week or so. I find myself having a lot of fun. the Gal's are still a very integral part of the game when taking new territories, and squad play is an absolute must/ultra fun thing. Join a large outfit and you always have operations going on it seems, no matter when I log on it seems mine has a largescale operation going (upwards of 100+ people multi squadding up to 3 squads (each filled to delta squad) on occasion) Hell SOE just did a spotlight of our operation last night. In short, if you liked the first youll like this one.

Last edited:
Thinking about giving PS2 a go, any suggestions for a complete noob? i.e...servers, faction, loadout, profession, clans?

Depends.. Stick with the basic guns. Have fun, save towards something. Always ask about certs before buying anything.

I unfortunately never played the original, but ive been having a damn blast, and this is coming from someone who has been in a gaming slump the last 2 years, havnt enjoyed much of anything past the first week or so. I find myself having a lot of fun. the Gal's are still a very integral part of the game when taking new territories, and squad play is an absolute must/ultra fun thing. Join a large outfit and you always have operations going on it seems, no matter when I log on it seems mine has a largescale operation going (upwards of 100+ people multi squadding up to 3 squads (each filled to delta squad) on occasion) Hell SOE just did a spotlight of our operation last night. In short, if you liked the first youll like this one.

Cool, thanks for the honest feedback. I'll give it a shot! :D

Game has come a long ways since beta. It is running smooth for me now at all high except shadows medium and no AO. Running with a platoon is the deal. We did a ground attack with damn near 80 in one group. Amazing to see.

Has anybody had any kind of bug with the unlock trial button and guns becoming permanent? I was trying out the EM6 2 nights ago and when I logged on all yesterday and today the thing was showing that I purchased it, but I have the same amount of SC and certs as before I did the trial. Wondering if this has happened to anybody else because if it is permanent I'll cert it out.

Has anybody had any kind of bug with the unlock trial button and guns becoming permanent? I was trying out the EM6 2 nights ago and when I logged on all yesterday and today the thing was showing that I purchased it, but I have the same amount of SC and certs as before I did the trial. Wondering if this has happened to anybody else because if it is permanent I'll cert it out.

lucky you...I trialed the Blitz SMG but it went away after the designated time period; highly effective in close quarters, but I still prefer the NS-11.

Other thoughts...

IMO Planetside 2 is a great replacement for the BF series seeing as I've sworn off EA published games. Very immersive and the certification implementation is highly addictive. That being said there are some hardcore peeps playing this game; I had one squad leader this morning that had been going for 12 hours straight and I notice a lot of role-playing during voice communication which is something I wouldn't expect from a FPS. It's cool but I think that some take a little too seriously, but that's just me...

Do we have a [H] outfit on Helios? If not I'm thinking I'll create one ;)

Last edited:
i just reinstalled this game. i cant believe they havent fixed the performance or surround issues yet.

Been playing NC for the last few weeks.
Can't wait to get a new PC because it plays like ass on my current one, even on low settings.:(

I'm still playing all the time, but I can't help but continue to feel that the Vanu are underpowered and underpopulated (Waterson server). Shit like the scattergun, strikers, phoenix....

I'm still playing all the time, but I can't help but continue to feel that the Vanu are underpowered and underpopulated (Waterson server). Shit like the scattergun, strikers, phoenix....

As someone who mains Vanu on Waterson (actually all my characters are on Waterson, my alts were on the server formerly known as Jaeger), I think it's definitely more underpopulation than any sort of underpowering. Vanu guns are pretty much the bland middle ground between TR bullethoses and NC slug slingers, boring and a waste of the faction's potential yes, but effective nonetheless. It's being underpopped by a good 10 percent at pretty much all times that hurts, though I think in the past few days that gap has been narrowed a bit. Makes sense considering the new underpopulation incentives and the recent VS changes to MAX weapons and infantry damage drop off.

It'll play like ass even on what's considered a good PC. They haven't done much optimizing, which is a shame b/c it's by no means a bad looking game. Only real way to get the game running great is to OC your processor past 4.0ghz since the game is very cpu intensive (unfortunately).

Not sure what you are talking about. I have i5 2500k on SSD and 8GB RAM overclocked to 4.2GHz and it is very smooth on High with Shadows and Grass on medium.

I bought Phoenix rocket launcher yesterday. In VR Phoenix looked to be very strong and killing magraider from all sides in 2 hits. Not so powerful in the field though.

Impressions are mixed. It is fun to use but you wont get many kills with it.

Infantry:
You cannot kill infantry with it. May be with several hits you could but it ususally not happening.

Air:
You can hit only stationary air units with it and even then it is easy to miss.

Vehicles:
It is pretty good at hitting vehicles and especially magraiders even if those hid behind hills etc. Though you need 2 hit from the back of magraider or 3-4 hits in front to kill it. So , you will get the kill only if tank is heavily damaged already. Otherwise this is a good tool scare tank avay but not to kill it.

Sunderers:
This is where it shines. If you know where eney parked the sunderer just put a personal way point there on the map and start spamming sanderrer with phoenix from
behind the hills etc. You, probably, wont kill it but enemy engeneers will get a gray hair repairing it from the rockets hitting but heavy not visible anywhere around

Infiltrators:
I was killed billion of times by infiltrators while firing phoenix. Shall I explain why?

Summary:
I think I will use phoenix as a medium range AV rocket launcher in case I cannot or do not wont to lock on on the enemy vehicles or if I want to hit sunderers around the corner

Basically, it is very fun launcher to use and to do tricks like firing from inside of biolab and then steer the rocket to the nearest liberator outside of biolab. That is a very nice surpise for those liberators because they do not expect to be attacked by rockets from inside

Been playing NC for the last few weeks.
Can't wait to get a new PC because it plays like ass on my current one, even on low settings.:(
Even though my previous computer was on it's last leg (7 years old) this game is what pushed me to get a new computer. Enjoyed playing it but could only be useful in small skirmishes. Big battles ate the computer for lunch. Got a new computer and it runs great even in big battles now and I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg.

As someone who mains Vanu on Waterson (actually all my characters are on Waterson, my alts were on the server formerly known as Jaeger), I think it's definitely more underpopulation than any sort of underpowering. Vanu guns are pretty much the bland middle ground between TR bullethoses and NC slug slingers, boring and a waste of the faction's potential yes, but effective nonetheless. It's being underpopped by a good 10 percent at pretty much all times that hurts, though I think in the past few days that gap has been narrowed a bit. Makes sense considering the new underpopulation incentives and the recent VS changes to MAX weapons and infantry damage drop off.

I hear you, the underpopulation is definitely the most painful part. I have to say though, some items like the striker just should never have been included in the game. They are fucking ridiculous.

Any thoughts on hard vs. soft ammunition? Is the 100 certs better to be used elsewhere?

The new battle flow system that is in beta is going to make fights much more focused. Ghost capping (taking empty bases) will be less likely.

Any thoughts on hard vs. soft ammunition? Is the 100 certs better to be used elsewhere?

I tested an NC EM1 on the VR using soft ammunition. Against a heavy assault it takes 7 shots using soft point ammo compared to 8 without it at close range. I'd rather use the 100 certs on something else, since the difference between the two is negligible, IMO. Because of server latency I always end up putting a few more rounds on targets to make sure I get the frag anyways.

I bought Phoenix rocket launcher yesterday. In VR Phoenix looked to be very strong and killing magraider from all sides in 2 hits. Not so powerful in the field though.

Impressions are mixed. It is fun to use but you wont get many kills with it.

Infantry:
You cannot kill infantry with it. May be with several hits you could but it ususally not happening.

Air:
You can hit only stationary air units with it and even then it is easy to miss.

Vehicles:
It is pretty good at hitting vehicles and especially magraiders even if those hid behind hills etc. Though you need 2 hit from the back of magraider or 3-4 hits in front to kill it. So , you will get the kill only if tank is heavily damaged already. Otherwise this is a good tool scare tank avay but not to kill it.

Sunderers:
This is where it shines. If you know where eney parked the sunderer just put a personal way point there on the map and start spamming sanderrer with phoenix from
behind the hills etc. You, probably, wont kill it but enemy engeneers will get a gray hair repairing it from the rockets hitting but heavy not visible anywhere around

Infiltrators:
I was killed billion of times by infiltrators while firing phoenix. Shall I explain why?

Summary:
I think I will use phoenix as a medium range AV rocket launcher in case I cannot or do not wont to lock on on the enemy vehicles or if I want to hit sunderers around the corner

Basically, it is very fun launcher to use and to do tricks like firing from inside of biolab and then steer the rocket to the nearest liberator outside of biolab. That is a very nice surpise for those liberators because they do not expect to be attacked by rockets from inside
You missed out on the Phoenix sniping. It was so rampant and overpowered against infantry that they had to patch it out. It could do 1 hit kills against maxed out heavy assaults with shields on and MAX's when the Decimator (most powerful dumbfire rocket launcher in game) had difficulties, especially at the obscene ranges people were doing it (several hundred meters). I would have no problem with someone hitting me from 100 meters out with one, but 500 meters out at the next base where they wouldn't even be rendered by the game engine is bullshit.

I think where they have it now is a good balance.

I miss dumbfire on my Striker, but I can see how that shit would get real out of hand quickly in infantry versus infantry combat. As it stands, lock-on only is still pretty decent compromise. It is a great all-round missile launcher. Handy against tanks and aircraft alike. It scares the shit out of tankers and pilots since all they see is a hailstorm of missiles coming at them. What most of them don't realize is it does very little damage, needing almost 10 missiles to take out a vanguard from the front. It takes around 6-7 to take out a Reaver or Scythe, and I have launched all 20 of my missiles at a liberator and did not take it down.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are talking about. I have i5 2500k on SSD and 8GB RAM overclocked to 4.2GHz and it is very smooth on High with Shadows and Grass on medium.

What is your GPU and amount of V-RAM?

Yeah, heavy battles just kill my CPU.

It takes around 6-7 to take out a Reaver or Scythe

The thing is (this is referring to my experience in a scythe), each time you fire the striker it lets off five damn shots - with flares and/or the benefit of some terrain to move through I can deal with one set of shots, but I can't stay anywhere near the location unless I take out the heavy using it. If there are two or more folks with strikers all air is totally fucked, and because the launcher is available as a heavy there is no penalty for someone to just respawn if they are killed and pop up another striker (i.e. no cooldown). Regarding damage, all five shots puts me within a whisker of fire. In my opinion the launcher should never have made it into the game - it can be abused VERY easily, and is only available for one faction.

I have good old 1GB ATI 5870. That one a beast of a card. I play on single monitor 1920x1200

So you need to upgrade to at least a 2gb card then. My setup is 2500k at 4.2, 7950 3gb and 8 gb sys ram. Game runs fine even in huge battles.

So you need to upgrade to at least a 2gb card then. My setup is 2500k at 4.2, 7950 3gb and 8 gb sys ram. Game runs fine even in huge battles.

Have similar. Only real issues I have had have been server crashes and a few lag spikes. But no issues on my end recently.

Back