Planetside 2

Server mergers aren't good news. How has the population been? I haven't logged on in a while...

Server mergers aren't good news. How has the population been? I haven't logged on in a while...

Agreed. It took several years for them to do a server merge in eq2. It was then and I'm sure it is now, because its still SOE, because of low server pop.

This game just sucks, sorry to say. It's pretty much brainless infantry-based combat. The vehicles have been marginalized to the point of uselessness it's questionable why they are even in the game. I could deal with the faintly-masked unlockathon to drive their microtransactions, but not the shallow, derpified gameplay with no vehicles. I stopped playing shortly after it came out and, judging by the numbers, I wasn't alone in that regard.

Time to make a game that doesn't cater to the lowest common denominator - sorry PS2 & SOE, I think COD & (to a much lesser extent) BF3 has that market pretty much saturated.

A slow CPU can bottleneck a fast GPU for any game.

Doesn't the engine for Planetside 2 intentionally give the CPU more of a load to handle so people with lesser GPUs can still play the game decently though? My CPU is bottlenecking me severely worse for Planetside 2 than it would for other games.

Doesn't the engine for Planetside 2 intentionally give the CPU more of a load to handle so people with lesser GPUs can still play the game decently though? My CPU is bottlenecking me severely worse for Planetside 2 than it would for other games.

No, the game only utilizes a couple threads very heavily which causes the game to slow down when that thread needs something from another thread. It has nothing to do with GPU and everything to do with Sony building a game engine that can be easily ported to current gen consoles. You will hear the Devs make the excuses for the poor performance, but in the end it comes down to having really poor multi-thread support.

Edit: I have just over 8k SC that I had wanted to spend by now on daily deals, but sadly it seems like most of the "deals" are for shitty cosmetic items. SOE needs to rework there SC/cert system to make SC prices cheaper and cert gain faster. I am willing to bet quite a few people have gotten burned out with the stupidly slow cert gain rate.

Last edited:
I haven't played since the first couple of weekends. Mainly because I download at 50K/s, and the 5 gig patches everytime I load make me cringe.

Also, I can totally see people being turned off to the amount of certs and experience required to just get simple upgrades. I'd have to play for a month straight just to unlock an upgraded gun. Then I'd have to unload mods for it, etc. Just gets old.

Also, I can totally see people being turned off to the amount of certs and experience required to just get simple upgrades. I'd have to play for a month straight just to unlock an upgraded gun. Then I'd have to unload mods for it, etc. Just gets old.

Not sure why anyone would do this. If you want a gun that much, just buy it with SC and save yourself the month, and use your certs to upgrade. But I can agree that $7 per gun is too much. Double or triple SC don't seem to come around enough.

Not sure why anyone would do this. If you want a gun that much, just buy it with SC and save yourself the month, and use your certs to upgrade. But I can agree that $7 per gun is too much. Double or triple SC don't seem to come around enough.

You answered your own question, if you buy 2 guns for 1 plane, 1 tank, and 2 classes you end up spending over at least $30.

You answered your own question, if you buy 2 guns for 1 plane, 1 tank, and 2 classes you end up spending over at least $30.

I'd still pay. But what I'd do it pick very selectively and enjoy two, maybe three of those and then wait until a double or triple SC day comes around, and then load up.

I'd still pay. But what I'd do it pick very selectively and enjoy two, maybe three of those and then wait until a double or triple SC day comes around, and then load up.

And now you have Virtual Reality zone where you can play all weapons and select the best one that suits your play style.

I must admin I wasted some money on weapons I do not use befor VR was introduced. Now I'm not going to repeat the mistake :)

Can anyone sum up the past three months or so for this game? Our group is currently growing tired of BF3. Our teamwork and tactics completely take over any server we go into. We should probably be playing competitively, but none of us really have the desire to do that.

That said... BF3 translates very well to Planetside 2 from what I played early on. The strategy and the game play is pretty similar. I havent played in more than 3 months or so. What should I be looking out for? I heard around that its basically pay to win, that the free people dont stand much of a chance. Thats ok with me. I wouldnt mind dropping 30-40 bucks on a game I really like. Is that even enough money?

Anything else youd like to add.

The game has gotten a lot better (gameplay wise), performance took a shit after last patch.

Next month should be good, Hossin and some major system revamps should be coming. Once the new Micro-Hex (Semi-Lattice) system is in the flow of battle should be better.

I think it's worth it, I got 176 hours into it so far and that's way more than I ever put into BF3

I was playing in beta and my framerate was always very low, around 30-40fps. Your post alludes to it being better until recently during a new patch? This correct?

Can I expect framerates to go back up? I just loaded it up again and sure enough I cant get it to go over 35frames in heavy battles. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Can anyone sum up the past three months or so for this game? Our group is currently growing tired of BF3. Our teamwork and tactics completely take over any server we go into. We should probably be playing competitively, but none of us really have the desire to do that.

That said... BF3 translates very well to Planetside 2 from what I played early on. The strategy and the game play is pretty similar. I havent played in more than 3 months or so. What should I be looking out for? I heard around that its basically pay to win, that the free people dont stand much of a chance. Thats ok with me. I wouldnt mind dropping 30-40 bucks on a game I really like. Is that even enough money?

Anything else youd like to add.

If you plan on using vehicles, especially air, then yeah you're way better off paying for the weapons. For infantry combat, the stock weapons are pretty good when you put certs into attachments. A lot of the infantry weapons that you buy are situational, with only a few that are really upgrades over what you get stock, such as the decimator rocket launcher. There's now a VR area where you can test all of the different weapons, attachments, and upgrades for infantry/vehicles so you can get a feel for them and decide whether or not you want to spend money/certs on them.

One advantage that the paying people do have, IMO, over strictly F2P players is that they have faster cert gain (if you buy boosts or are a premium member), so they can upgrade their stuff faster. Even then, in terms of pure infantry combat, it's usually the person who lands the first shots that wins.

As for teamwork and tactics, for this game I'd say they really only come into the picture in smaller engagements. PS2 is a numbers game, and the side that gets more people into a fight wins most of the time.

I spent $25 during the triple station cash deal around Christmas so I effectively had $75 to play with. For me I'd rather wait until the next 3x SC deal because I absolutely refuse to pay $7 for an in game weapon.

As for teamwork and tactics, for this game I'd say they really only come into the picture in smaller engagements. PS2 is a numbers game, and the side that gets more people into a fight wins most of the time.

That is true but as an organized squad you could bring a lot of headache even to a lot bigger group of enemies than yourself. Hell, I alone as a sniper with CC weapon can be very annoying by sneaking into enemy base, hacking turrets and killing enemies from their own base.

Though you, probably , would not be able to do anything with zergs (hundreds of people, tens of tanks and aviation). Those are just too big to cope with though it is very fun to manage to slow down zerg with a small squad :)

Overall it is a very good game. I would recommend it for you. Also it is FTP so you will not lose money if you try it and it doesn't work for you.

any more info on the low framerates?

I haven't seen any fixes yet - restarting the game every 1-2 hrs seems to help things out a bit for me, but that is anecdotal (I haven't done any comparison tests).

While I think this is true zerg on zerg (biggest zerg wins), I don't think it's true when one side is coordinated - if people pay attention to what's going on, you can have a few libs demolishing infantry (zephyr) and/or their sundies (dalton) while some infantry go AA max or scythe/reaver/mosquito for protection in the air. Once sundies are down, zergs tend to diffuse quite quickly because they don't tend to be coordinated enough to respond.

I think PS2 does a great job of avoiding the pay to win issue (most weapons are either for one-off situations, or 'side-grades'), but I agree with you that if you *are* interested in playing you should be prepared to spend a bit. Good news is you have the world's best demo in a free-to-play model! I've probably spent $50 or so (not a member, just on gear/triple SC day) over the months it has been out, and have enjoyed it tremendously. Great game.

EDIT: One note - you absolutely must join an outfit, because without coordination you are missing the majority of what the game has to offer.

its funny because i just started downloading this this morning and was curious about it. looks like fun to me

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

almalino said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pringle

its funny because i just started downloading this this morning and was curious about it. looks like fun to me

Say goodby to social life and free time

hahaha I hear ya. however, im pretty good at keeping the "free to play" thing in perspective.

I was also looking at Defiance, but don't have too much info on it.

Hey guys, I just started playing PS2 this weekend. I see that the game is very CPU bound, would I see any improvement by switching from my FX 8320 at 5.0ghz? I can run it at max settings and my GPU's only see 50-60% use.

Hey guys, I just started playing PS2 this weekend. I see that the game is very CPU bound, would I see any improvement by switching from my FX 8320 at 5.0ghz? I can run it at max settings and my GPU's only see 50-60% use.

Yes. I've read of people seeing large improvements by overlocking a CPU to 4 GHz +

Since the game seems to only use 1 or 2 cores heavily clock speed is a major factor

Hmm, I guess I might have to see if someone has a comparison of different CPU's, I know mine is no slouch and I could probably get another 200mhz or so out of it, but I don't want to be running 5.2 and a lot of volts for one game.

Yeah, I figured as much. I might wait and see what Haswell has to bring to the table. It really sucks getting 20-22fps with medium settings when there are more than 10 people on screen though.

This weekend many people had FPS issues due to update. Wait till Sony fix it . Also decrease shadows and foliage to LOW. FPS should improve a lot.

This weekend many people had FPS issues due to update.

this - the update fucked up framerates for whatever reason. You'll notice all sorts of stuttering and incredibly low framerates at times (particularly flying) that wasn't there prior to the update. I'm sure we'll receive a fix at some point.

this - the update fucked up framerates for whatever reason. You'll notice all sorts of stuttering and incredibly low framerates at times (particularly flying) that wasn't there prior to the update. I'm sure we'll receive a fix at some point.

I saw the twit that Sony has found the bug and update is coming :)

really odd issue

I installed the stream version and verified it. proceeded to click play, and nothing happens. I've reinstalled it twice now. it's the only game that does this

Started to play again last night.

You guys say I need to buy weapons to survive in the field? I killed a crap load of guys and I haven't paid for anything yet.

I'm still a little confused on capturing stuff, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Started to play again last night.

You guys say I need to buy weapons to survive in the field? I killed a crap load of guys and I haven't paid for anything yet.

I'm still a little confused on capturing stuff, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

It's more about getting the right weapons on your vehicles - as far as infantry is concerned there are only a few classes where you benefit pretty significantly from an upgrade (Infil is one). But mostly just the vehicle weapons.

Back