Planetary Annihilation

Has it been released yet? I thought it was still in some kind of private beta or alpha.

edit
Just checked. It's still in beta, but you can buy the game to get early access and play it now. I'll wait until it's actually done.

Last edited by a moderator:
huge total annihilation fan here -- was going to jump on the preorder/beta bus but then GTA5 and BF4 came out

Looks fun - but its one of those titles I don't feel like spending 60 dollars on. Once it's out and if its 40 dollars I might buy it.

Supposed to come out in December sometime -- I will say though, once it's released if they suddenly jack the price up to 60 for the regular base version, I won't buy it at all. Logic says if it's worth $40 right now, its worth $40 at release (provided reviews are good)

Thanks Mav.

I have played around 20 hours in game so far. I preordered it back when it was in alpha. 90$ then. The game sucked for awhile, but now its on a upswing. Alot of bugs have been fixed graphics improved, game play tweaks. I've been starting to play more and more. The music in game is actually good and is very fitting with the game play.

Last edited:
Its in beta and it shows. UI is terrible for me, random cancelation of actions, bad performance, can u even select diferent plants for players to start ?

Still, it shows promeise. Lots

Yeah, I've only played it a bit (before some of the more recent updates) but I like what I'm seeing so far. Not super set on the graphical style yet...hopefully they add a bit more depth to that as it seems incredibly basic.

Anymore updates on how well this game is doing? I like RTS's but shy'd away from C&C since EA got ahold of em. This game looks awesome, would be cool if the textures were upgraded later :D.

I haven't really played it in awhile, which is a shame because I should try out the newer AI. I've just got a massive amount of games to play at the moment.

Hmm, maybe someone will chime in, I am wanting to pull the trigger, it is on sale right now for $45, but only have enough for one game lol so I want to make this purchase count.

Official website
http://www.uberent.com/pa/

You can order other editions of the game from the developers. Other editions are expensive though. :)
https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4

Humble Bundle Store also sells it. Developers get more of a cut when you buy it from the Humble Store and of course you still get a Steam key. 10% of your purchase on the Humble Bundle Store goes to charity which is cool. :cool: I could have sworn that I saw it for $39.99 on there in December. I might be mistaken though with all the Steam sales so don't hold me to that. Anyway here's the link.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/planetaryannihilation_storefront

If you didnt get it during the summer sale for $17 bucks you are missing out.

They have dont plenty of updating because i have not encountered any of the problems listed above.
It has MP now and this game is simply awesome!!!

I would have paid full price for this game $60.00, but for $17 bucks its SOOOOO GUUUDDD!!!

Yeah they have updated this game a TON (I keep getting KS emails but I usually just ignore... :eek:)...I need to find some time to play.

what's funny is they are still in early access. Guess that's just the style these days, develop a game as you go and take money along the way. I'm not arguing, the game is very playable and fun in its current state.

As long as they keep adding content I'm fine with the "Early Access" title. If they just languish in Early Access status forever, though, that's not okay. It's also not okay if they just decide "fuck it" and remove it from Early Access without adding all of the promised content.

game has had hot keys for a long time....

I didn't expect this thread to come back alive haha someone thread necro.

the sale price just makes it a must buy.

I would have no problem paying 49.99 for it. I spent 90$ on the game originally via kick starter.

I grabbed this on the sale. I used to play the crap out of SupCom. Are these guys related to those devs? It kinda feels like that with the commanders that you start with that build. The one thing that bugs me about these RTS game is that as soon as you zoom out everything becomes dots. I'm not even really sure what could be done to avoid that, but eh. I've only played for like a half hour. I need to learn the hotkeys and picture in picture controls.

Can you do dual monitors with this and stick a minimap or something on the other monitor?

not sure on the dual monitor thing. I've been on my laptop past few weeks as my desktop is down. (PSU RMA)

The devs worked on supreme commander.

The game is the spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, Supreme commander 1 and 2.

I know what you mean about the units, however you can zoom to what ever level you want. When you have a large base and need to manage multiple large groups of units this is nice. In game there is a slider in the settings that allow you to control the fade distance between units turning into icons.

Oooh fade distance! That helped a bit. I know you can't really avoid it though, I'm not unrealistic haha.

Just wait till you get to turn 52 in galactic war only to see the warning say Celestial Incident and realize that the other commander rammed the MOON into your commander ending your massive run. How does one dodge a moon with the slowest moving unit in creation?

i picked it up -- haven't had a ton of time to play with it, but it looks fun.

Huge fan of the series all the way back to total annihilation. Game runs smooth on my i5 290crossfire rig. in my brief 15 minutes of play,the AI seems pretty overpowered and godlike.

game has had hot keys for a long time....

I didn't expect this thread to come back alive haha someone thread necro.

I assumed they would add them, I mean considering there was a hotkey mod before the devs thought to add them to a game like this

Huge Total Annihilation fan. Still my favorite RTS to this day. SupCom 1 was the closest we got to a real sequel and it was about 80% of the way there. I've been holding off on Planetary Annihilation until they show me more of a complete game. It's been a hard trigger not to pull. I'm also kind of turned off by the art style but could live with it depending on the gameplay.

i picked it up -- haven't had a ton of time to play with it, but it looks fun.

Huge fan of the series all the way back to total annihilation. Game runs smooth on my i5 290crossfire rig. in my brief 15 minutes of play,the AI seems pretty overpowered and godlike.

Yeah, i've had it for a while (should have waited for the sale.. oh well) and I got the same impression about the AI. Seemed way overpowered and cheaty. (like knows where you are cheaty...)
Haven't played it much yet though. Like one or two games is all.

It is extremely difficult on normal which is the easy setting!

Althought, the more I play it the faster Im getting at building and the order is extremely
important. I dont think the enemy always know where you are the only time I have them attack me is once they find me. AI seems to build only flying units to start and they get their spy planes up and running fairly quick!

I try to find them 1st and set up defenses right away to stop their attacks and counter
attack with reserve units! Everytime I start doing well my son or wife bug me to do something and when I come back im almost dead. Can you pause this game?

I just got the email announcement that the release will be on Sept. 5.
I guess it's time to give it a try.

Today, we're proud to announce that Planetary Annihilation will officially release on September 5.

The launch edition of the game includes a number of upgrades, including enhancements to both single-player and multiplayer. It will also include two new features: resource-rich gas giants and the "Annihilaser," a celestial laser of doom that obliterates planets with each tremendous blast.

As a thank you to our generous backers and early access supporters, we're giving you all access to these features shortly via a game update.

Additionally, the release build of Planetary Annihilation will be available on the show floor at PAX this August 29 through September 3.

Thank you again for all your support throughout development. We're thrilled to deliver on our vision for an RTS with massive scale and even more massive battles, easy-to-use tools, and incredible moments. We can't wait to show you what's next.

Back