Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro / Pixel 7a

Ugh.

Man if iOS didn't blow, I'd be so tempted for a 14 Pro Max with it's amazing battery life, bright and beautiful screen and smoothness.

I just can't get into the way iOS operates and none of the cool Google stuff like the news feed on the left screen and instant Google search Hy speaking to the phone, Siri sucks.

Google come on, give us an iPhone Pro quality build phone already, I'll pay more for it.

If I can get through my day without having to recharge until I'm ready to jump in bed, then I'm good. Would it be nice to have 2-3 days battery life before recharging? Yes. Is it a necessity? Not for me.

Google come on, give us an iPhone Pro quality build phone already, I'll pay more for it.

It will not happen, I guess not anytime soon. Looks the 7 FP reader is barely any better than P6 and the face unlock is just half baked.

Got my 7 Pro about an hour ago. Stopped setting it up when I found that face unlock works only to unlock the phone from the lock screen. Everything else requires a password or fingerprint scan. 👎

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/does-the-google-pixel-7-have-face-unlock/

I can live with less than optimal battery life. Face unlock was the reason I bought the 7 Pro less than a month after buying a 6 Pro. A gimped face unlock wasn't part of the deal. This 7 Pro is going back.

This guarantees that I'm switching to an iPhone next year.

🖕 Google!!

Last edited:
Got my 7 Pro about an hour ago. Stopped setting it up when I found that face unlock works only to unlock the phone from the lock screen. Everything else requires a password or fingerprint scanner. 👎

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/does-the-google-pixel-7-have-face-unlock/

I can live with less than optimal battery life. Face unlock was the reason I bought the 7 Pro less than a month after buying a 6 Pro. A gimped face unlock wasn't part of the deal. This 7 Pro is going back.

🖕 Google!!

That was quick...

Picked up my Pixel 7 Pro - Obsidian at Best Buy ( that was a cluster F. their system was screwed up on pre-orders and trade-ins, taking extra long, and employees not knowing how to fix it )

Anyways was really thinking of switching to the Hazel color, but they didn't have that color on display, and were of zero help to check stock if I could see one. So I stuck with the black I ordered, and actually very happy with it. Have had White Pixel's going back to the Nexus 6P, and wanted to go dark mode again, and was tired of the shiny glossy mirror looking frame, and now I am happy I went with the Obsidian, and looking forward to my Dbrand matte black skin.

Setup the phone pretty quick, first impressions;

- Curved edge display is noticeably less curved, and feels closer to flat, but I wish it was FLAT like the iPhone's , but the 7 Pro is better than the 6 Pro's curve. I like the 7 Pro's less rounded screen.
- Screen does seem brighter outdoors, I could tell right away
- The feel in hand just feels a bit nicer if that makes any sense.
- Anything else I need more time to see, but it feels smooth and fast and slick to operate, but so did my 6 Pro lately.

Picked up my Pixel 7 Pro - Obsidian at Best Buy ( that was a cluster F. their system was screwed up on pre-orders and trade-ins, taking extra long, and employees not knowing how to fix it )

Anyways was really thinking of switching to the Hazel color, but they didn't have that color on display, and were of zero help to check stock if I could see one. So I stuck with the black I ordered, and actually very happy with it. Have had White Pixel's going back to the Nexus 6P, and wanted to go dark mode again, and was tired of the shiny glossy mirror looking frame, and now I am happy I went with the Obsidian, and looking forward to my Dbrand matte black skin.

- Curved edge display is noticeably less curved, and feels closer to flat, but I wish it was FLAT like the iPhone's , but the 7 Pro is better than the 6 Pro's curve. I like the 7 Pro's less rounded screen.
- Anything else I need more time to see, but it feels smooth and fast and slick to operate, but so did my 6 Pro lately.
I finished setting up my 7 Pro. Figured I might as well since I have it. It feels quicker/snappier without any of the intermittent delays or mini-screen freezes that hit my 6 Pro. The screen is definitely improved, too. I'm having second thoughts about returning the 7 Pro, now. Still not pleased about the gimped face unlock, tho. I'll use it over the weekend and see if my thoughts change.

EDIT: Going back because Google charged $962 to my MasterCard. On Pixel Pass, it's supposed to be $62/month. WTF??? :rage:

Last edited:
The more I use this 7 Pro it feels more like my old flat Pixel 6.

The lesser and softer curved edge kinda of makes it feel more flat or like those older Android phones that have "flat" screens but we're what they called 2.5 edge or something.

My simple screens:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221013-211010.png
    Screenshot_20221013-211010.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221013-210940.png
    Screenshot_20221013-210940.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
After watching most reviews, this seems like the most marginal upgrade from the previous phone so far, sans maybe the Pixel 3 line from the 2s.

The fingerprint scanner, battery life, and cameras all seem about the same from the 6 phones. The first two things are what needed most improved and they failed to improve those. The displays get brighter, but apparently at the cost of considerably higher power usage even at the same brightness levels as the previous Pixels. The Tensor SoC seems to be a marginal upgrade in performance and power efficiency as well.

My wife's Pixel 6 Pro and son's Pixel 6 already have relatively bad battery life compared to my 5 still, so guess I'll be holding onto it for another year at least. I must prefer its small size now as well. Maybe I'll just get a smaller Sony phone at this point if Google can't bring back a reasonably sized phone.

So now it's the first morning having 7 Pro, and compared to just everyday use compared to my 6 Pro, there's barely any noticeable difference. The phones are extremely similar.

But... For sure the brightness on the 7 Pro is a big upgrade, the display seems overall better quality. And the curved edge screen for sure feels less curved now in a good way. And the macro on the camera is excellent and zoom way better.

I was outside at a job site just now and looking at the phone the brightness is significantly brighter than my old 6 Pro.

Thanks for the curved screen compare. I am curious if cheaper Screen protectors can be used and stay on due to the less curve at the edge.

Does dropping down to 1080p significantly help battery life? Or just a little bit?

Of course I would keep 120hz on the whole time.

I did turn on 1080p and I noticed absolutely zero difference in the image or screen quality. It looks 100% the same.

Thought maybe it needs a restart to take effect? Are we started and I can't tell any difference whatsoever. Everything seems the same size like literally doesn't seem different whatsoever between 1440p

Nice job! That's a solid upgrade. Surprised your battery lasted this long.
Technically I've had two 3 XL's. I bricked my first one installing modules after rooting it and Google was kind enough to send a replacement free of charge. Although, I never ran into any battery issues, but then again I don't use my phone for much more than talking, texting, and e-mail.

What's the real verdict on 1080p vs. 1440 resolution on this phone?

Does going to 1080p truly save battery life and give better performance?

Or sticking with 1440 resolution make zero difference?

I've tried both and I seriously cannot tell or see a difference whatsoever, both look identical. Like literally 100% exactly the same to my eyes.

What's the consensus?

What's the real verdict on 1080p vs. 1440 resolution on this phone?

Does going to 1080p truly save battery life and give better performance?

Or sticking with 1440 resolution make zero difference?

I've tried both and I seriously cannot tell or see a difference whatsoever, both look identical. Like literally 100% exactly the same to my eyes.

What's the consensus?
In the past 1080p has always help with Battery life in my experience. Granted display tech has gotten a lot better, I still think in all situations less pixels to render the better. In games titles yes 100% 1080p is easier on the SOC. When I had my One Plus 7 Pro I struggled to see any really differences between 1080p and 1440p on that display and normally ran in 1080p. You might need to do an A:B test to be sure so IDK :p

My 7 Pro Dbrand case was delivered today. I should'a waited before ordering it. :banghead:

dbrand.png

Spoke with Google about the problem with the way Pixel Pass was applied to my 7 Pro order. The rep was very cool and said it definitely wasn't done properly. He offered to honor the $225 promotion if I re-ordered, so I did. With the trade-in, promotion, and $50 in Google One credit I haven't used -- and actually forgot about -- my final cost will be $205 for the 128GB 7 Pro. That ain't bad. I didn't get Pixel Pass this time. Google Fi + YT Premium + 200GB Google storage (my current plan) is $25/month cheaper than PP... and I get to use my Dbrand case. :)

Really liking this phone so far. Good battery life based on my usage. Also is quick for moving around apps and the UI. Overall, a good experience.

Has anyone noticed how grainy, blurry, and less detailed the front camera is in comparison to say the s22 ultra or iPhone 13 Pro Max? The difference is especially noticeable during Google Meet Video calls. Do you think the camera could be improved with software or did they really put that crappy of a front camera? What's the deal? The rear camera is awesome, yet they neglect the front camera?

Has anyone noticed how grainy, blurry, and less detailed the front camera is in comparison to say the s22 ultra or iPhone 13 Pro Max? The difference is especially noticeable during Google Meet Video calls. Do you think the camera could be improved with software or did they really put that crappy of a front camera? What's the deal? The rear camera is awesome, yet they neglect the front camera?
Software might help, but Google also appears to use lower-quality front cameras. That's a particularly sore point this year — every iPhone 14 variant now has an autofocusing selfie cam where Google is still using fixed focus. Not a huge issue on the regular Pixel 7, where the phone is so inexpensive, but I'd be miffed if I'd spent $899-plus on a Pixel 7 Pro that can't do video chats as well as someone's $599 iPhone 13 mini, let alone an iPhone 14.

Software might help, but Google also appears to use lower-quality front cameras. That's a particularly sore point this year — every iPhone 14 variant now has an autofocusing selfie cam where Google is still using fixed focus. Not a huge issue on the regular Pixel 7, where the phone is so inexpensive, but I'd be miffed if I'd spent $899-plus on a Pixel 7 Pro that can't do video chats as well as someone's $599 iPhone 13 mini, let alone an iPhone 14.
It's got a 10.8 (basically 11) megapixel front camera vs 12mp in the iPhone 13 Pro Max my wife has. There shouldn't be as much of a difference in the amount of detail they produce but there is. I did a Google Meet to both phones, muted the mics and put them side by side. The iPhone was way clear and had way more detail vs the 7 pro. I could see hair strands on the 13 pro max that were just a crappy blur on the 7pro. It's only a 1 megapixel difference. How can there be that much of a difference on a video call. Why would Google put a crap front camera, but make a really good rear camera? On the other hand, DXOMark gave the 7pro #1 on rear camera and #3 rank on front camera. How is that? I did notice that it got like a 7/10 for texture though so maybe that's what it scored low on. I'm a bit disappointed I got rid of my S22 ultra to get a shit front camera in return. I feel cheated in that regard, but the software is quite nice compared to the boring OneUI that has been the same cartoon BS for the last 5 years or so. I pray that Google acknowledges the shit front camera and actually works to improve the front camera with a software update. Why would Google skimp on the front camera? Would it really have been that much more to put a good front camera?

It's got a 10.8 (basically 11) megapixel front camera vs 12mp in the iPhone 13 Pro Max my wife has. There shouldn't be as much of a difference in the amount of detail they produce but there is. I did a Google Meet to both phones, muted the mics and put them side by side. The iPhone was way clear and had way more detail vs the 7 pro. I could see hair strands on the 13 pro max that were just a crappy blur on the 7pro. It's only a 1 megapixel difference. How can there be that much of a difference on a video call. Why would Google put a crap front camera, but make a really good rear camera? On the other hand, DXOMark gave the 7pro #1 on rear camera and #3 rank on front camera. How is that? I did notice that it got like a 7/10 for texture though so maybe that's what it scored low on. I'm a bit disappointed I got rid of my S22 ultra to get a shit front camera in return. I feel cheated in that regard, but the software is quite nice compared to the boring OneUI that has been the same cartoon BS for the last 5 years or so. I pray that Google acknowledges the shit front camera and actually works to improve the front camera with a software update. Why would Google skimp on the front camera? Would it really have been that much more to put a good front camera?
I look at it this way: there's a reason why Pixels are priced below the iPhones and Galaxies of the world. They're good values precisely because Google is very strategic about the components it invests in — it's willing to cut corners in areas where people don't always notice. Usually in smart ways, but sometimes it's a bit too obvious. Apple, by contrast, is a paint-the-back-of-the-fence type that will fuss over little details even if it means raising the price... and let's be honest, is trying to project more of a premium image.

But I think for $900, the front camera should be better than what it is. It's not a mid-range phone.

But I think for $900, the front camera should be better than what it is. It's not a mid-range phone.
Exactly. $900 is a lot to spend, even if it's more affordable than an iPhone 14 Pro Max or Galaxy S22+. And it makes the iPhone 14 Plus look like a better bargain in some respects. You're not getting a telephoto lens or 120Hz display, but you are getting more consistent camera quality for the money.

Cameras are the least important features on a phone for me. All I need is something that takes good shots and has a decent set of editing tools.

What kind of screen on time are people getting with Pixel 7 Pro while on 5g/LTE?

Back