Pixel 5A

If Jon Prosser is correct about the Pixel 5a August 26th release date, and the $450 price, this is going to make those seeking a mid-range Pixel quite happy. The price will be right and if Google's history of Pixel support applies, purchasers can also look forward to three years of Android OS updates.

No mention yet on Front Page Tech if the screen is flat or curved, hopefully it will be flat. 🤞

Intriguing. I'm crazy impressed with my 4a, even though i've only had it for a week or two now. I'll definitely consider the "a" line in the future and if they keep being half the price of a flagship, i can upgrade it twice as often.

For $450 the Pixel 5a looks pretty darn good. But man it could've been excellent, maybe put it at $599 and include;

- Wireless charging
- IP68
- 8GB RAM
- Slightly large battery to 5,000mAH
- 120hz display

Why not include the above specs and just raise the price a hair, and the phone would be killer.

To be honest the design and price of the upcoming Pixel 6 being $1,000+ is a turnoff.

Why? Cause COST is the main focus of the A line.
I'm paying like $216 for this Pixel 4a in total.
Honestly all I really, really need from the 6a is gonna be the better cameras that are coming on the Pixel 6. The other specs are mostly irrelevant.

Reading conflicting reports on the 5a screen size. Is it 6.4" or 6.2"? I would love 6.4".

And will it have that beefy 4,600mAh size battery?

Reading conflicting reports on the 5a screen size. Is it 6.4" or 6.2"? I would love 6.4".

And will it have that beefy 4,600mAh size battery?

I would rather the smaller screen size personally. I want a one hand phone not a mini tablet.

Gotta say if it hits for 450$ I might jump early from my OP7 Pro with a cracked screen. Tired of the bugs now with One Plus.... 90hz 1080P OLED Flat and Pixel 5 camera's looks good to me and a nice size battery!

Gotta say if it hits for 450$ I might jump early from my OP7 Pro with a cracked screen. Tired of the bugs now with One Plus.... 90hz 1080P OLED Flat and Pixel 5 camera's looks good to me and a nice size battery!
I'm definitely gonna give it a shot as long as that price is valid! If it can give me similar or even better performance than my aging 3XL, it'll be a keeper.

I'm definitely gonna give it a shot as long as that price is valid! If it can give me similar or even better performance than my aging 3XL, it'll be a keeper.
Should have no trouble at all. I kinda wish it was a 6.2 as the 6.4 is pretty damn massive. Pretty sure that why they stuff the 4650mah battery as they had too.....

After looking at the specs a bit closer, this one doesn't really work for me. It's slightly too big, RAM actually matters for phones, and I like wireless charging. Still, that price is nothing to sneeze at. I'm just hoping this launch makes the normal Pixel 5 drop in price a little bit.

After looking at the specs a bit closer, this one doesn't really work for me. It's slightly too big, RAM actually matters for phones, and I like wireless charging. Still, that price is nothing to sneeze at. I'm just hoping this launch makes the normal Pixel 5 drop in price a little bit.
Gonna need to wait for BF/CM deals. It just really depends where the 6 is gonna be priced. If it's in the 700-800 range plenty of room for the pixel 5. Honestly for 500$ that would be the sweet spot at 5g is useless ATM

I'm still running on an OG Pixel (not very Hard, I know) and for the most part it does what I need. I have been toying with getting a 4A, and just recently went looking at them again. It looks like Google is just letting supply dry up on the 4A as it was not available at my local Best Buy (best pricing I've seen @ $299). I guess I will jump on the 5A once it's out for a bit. I may hold out until BF/Xmas time just to see if I can get it a bit cheaper.

60hz? Ugh, should be 90hz locked.

8GB RAM would've been nice and barely increase the price.

Wireless charging too would be nice, and I doubt cost that much more

I thought the leaks said 6.4" screen, not 6.2". Ugh.

60hz? Ugh, should be 90hz locked.

8GB RAM would've been nice and barely increase the price.

Wireless charging too would be nice, and I doubt cost that much more

I thought the leaks said 6.4" screen, not 6.2". Ugh.
I might wait until November to see if we get any BF discounts. I was all-in for the 90hz screen. 60hz is a letdown.

Going back to 60Hz is honestly tough after being at 90 or 120. It's one of those little things you don't think about or notice until you see a 60Hz device again. It makes anything look last-gen, even if literally all the other specs are better.

This Pixel 5a is a strange bird, it's pretty close to being much better than just a cheap mid range phone.

Like I said, give it 8GB RAM, add Wireless charging, give it 90hz full-time display, also make it a 6.4" screen size.

Doing all the above really doesn't add all that much to the costs, maybe goes from $450 to $599, but then it'd be a real nice long term phone.

Ugh what is this 90hz part-time nonsense? Would've been a perfect replacement for my V30 but I am not sure about this refresh-rate.

Attachments

• csm_EDIT53_9a4232bf97.png
    csm_EDIT53_9a4232bf97.png
    332.1 KB · Views: 0
Wish my Pixel 2 held out a tiny bit longer and I would have gotten this over the 4a, but given that I'm locked into the 4a for 2 years at $9 a month (lol) i'll jus wait till the 6, pro, a, whatever.

Oh well, couldn't do anything about my Pixel 2 looking like it was gonna burst.

I ordered it. Was going to wait until BF, but figured what's the point. Had a $40 store credit I forgot about and got $100 trade in for my 3XL, which was a nice surprise. Should be delivered by August 28. Will post pics and thoughts when I get it. (y)

I like this size, I thought the Pixel 5 was too small, but don't like the giant Ultra / Plus / Max size phones either. The 5a is right in the middle.

Attachments

• ajohnson_210813_4713_0003.jpg
    ajohnson_210813_4713_0003.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ajohnson_210813_4713_0004.jpg
    ajohnson_210813_4713_0004.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Pixel-5a-review-2-5_HDtvDHji4St7-scaled.jpg
    Pixel-5a-review-2-5_HDtvDHji4St7-scaled.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Pixel-5a-review-2-4_hAhYDMvMWoDu-scaled.jpg
    Pixel-5a-review-2-4_hAhYDMvMWoDu-scaled.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
Wish my Pixel 2 held out a tiny bit longer and I would have gotten this over the 4a, but given that I'm locked into the 4a for 2 years at $9 a month (lol) i'll jus wait till the 6, pro, a, whatever.

Oh well, couldn't do anything about my Pixel 2 looking like it was gonna burst.
Still not convinced the 5a is all that better than the 4a at this point. If I can track one down new or maybe go through Swappa I may just do it as they are supposed to get updates into 2023.

Ya know, I wonder if I could trade my relatively new 4a in for credit and then get the 5a... Seems like it could be kinda redundant but... nah, probably too much hassle.
Still not convinced the 5a is all that better than the 4a at this point. If I can track one down new or maybe go through Swappa I may just do it as they are supposed to get updates into 2023.
I honestly just mostly want the bigger screen than the 4a and improved battery life. I've had my 4a for less than a month and I'm very happy with it, but I'd be extremely tempted to trade up for a 5a...

Back