Pioneer Elite 50” Plasma at $2299.95 beyond Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Yes, this top rated 50” HD plasma, with stand can be yours for 2299.99

BB and many others are selling the standard (non elite) version of this set for 3999.99.

Tweeter is making a strong come back and bought truck loads of these they were closing out for $3500.00 but have dropped the price as a promotional deal.

First, I don’t work for Tweeter or Pioneer so I’m not a shill or pimping these. Feel free to look up reviews on the PRO 11050 HD and I doubt you will find an even medium review. All the reviews point out this is the best set ever tested.

The blacks are so black on this set if you turn it on in a dark room there is no screen glow. That’s pretty black.

What might turn you off is this set is not a true 1080p however most of the stores are selling this set right next to the new true 1080p set and I defy you to tell the difference.

What sets the Elite apart from the standard models? Only on in 5 panels qualify to make it to the Elite line. All other parts are hand selected and you get a two year warrantee. Full ISA certified settings etc etc.

Please, no arguments about price, quality or any of the usual negative posts.

http://www.tweeter.com/default.asp

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...lasmaTVs+Monitors/EliteTVs/ci.PRO-1150HD.Kuro

I just got one and side by side with my 2 year old set was a jaw dropping experience.

Enjoy, I sure am;)

Yeah this is a super hot deal. People over at AVS forum have been raving about this promotion for the past few weeks.

Is this the one in PC Mag last month that he basically said was the best TV he's ever compared.

His camera could barely register any light coming from the TV when it was pure plastic

Edit:

No, I don't think it is, that one was 1080P I believe

Is this the one in PC Mag last month that he basically said was the best TV he's ever compared.

His camera could barely register any light coming from the TV when it was pure plastic

Edit:

No, I don't think it is, that one was 1080P I believe

Pretty much the same set, except not 1080p. However as I suggested if compare the sets side by side you simply can’t see the difference.

Most of the Tweeter stores have them side by side for direct comparison. Don’t expect to see a difference between the sets.

What might turn you off is this set is not a true 1080p however most of the stores are selling this set right next to the new true 1080p set and I defy you to tell the difference.

Umm, no. It's easy to tell the difference at a normal viewing distance. I have a non 1080p pioneer and I don't even need to see it side by side with the true 1080p sets to be able to discern that the 1080p's are immensely better.

This is a decent price on a high end TV that is obsolete before you buy it. Not "beyond hot", just decent. Colors are excellent. Blacks are excellent. Pioneer probably makes the best plasmas you can buy at a mainstream retailer like Best Buy. However, as a longtime AV veteran this does not strike me as a good use of $2300. Unless you're someone who upgrades TV's every 1-2 years, it's a lot better over the long run to either shell out the extra for 1080p now, or just wait a bit until the true 1080p's are on closeout. Really, 1365X768 is not enough for 50 inch.

All their panels are probably dropping in price since Pioneer is getting out of the plasma manufacturing business, and is starting to use Panasonic panels in their new units.

I wouldent be surprized if their new ones start falling in price soon, so people might wanna wait a little before they invest.

All their panels are probably dropping in price since Pioneer is getting out of the plasma manufacturing business, and is starting to use Panasonic panels in their new units.

I wouldent be surprized if their new ones start falling in price soon, so people might wanna wait a little before they invest.

No Panasonic built panels have yet been used in any pioneer plasma. As of right now Pioneer is the sole owner of its plasma panel designs and has not yet licensed that technology to anyone.

To date no other manufacture has even come close to the black levels and virtually unlimited colors Pioneer can produce.

The worrisome issue for past Pioneer owners and Pioneer as a company and especially the Elite owners is will Sharp be able to come up with a panel that meets the expectation that a Pioneer customer will expect. The same thing applies to the Plasma Panels possibly being outsourced to Panasonic.

While Panasonic has long been my second choice for a Plasma display they simply don’t have the black levels to compete. As for LCD product Sharp while a very forward thinking company has never cured their banding problem. Sharp has made a huge capitol investment in Pioneer Video so hopefully they can work out the details.

Pioneer Elite has been the benchmark for TV since the early 1980s and I for one would hate to seem them lose that place.;)

Not to threadcr**, but honestly, at $2300 I'd be looking into a projector if I were you, that kind of cash can pick up a nice 1080P model that will make a beautiful, large image of 100" or so including the screen. Yeah, it's not perfect for everyone depending on ambient light (though newer, brighter ones aren't so bad even during daytime in a non-fully-light-controlled room), but it's definitely a great option. I had a $1k-ish budget and went for an Epson Home Cinema TheatreLite 550 for $700 which is projecting a gorgeous 84" picture for me for $700... grabbed an Elite screen "open-box" from newegg that was brand-new, and a surround-sound setup (I went for an Onkyo SR-600B), bought a small bookshelf to put it on (4 feet high) and am loving it.

Let me just say that my bro has one of these and, IMHO, it's the best picture i've ever seen on a TV. I have the Panasonic 1080P 42" Plasma and while it's great..it doesn't even come close to how great the picture quality and colors are.

Wasn't there some hubbub recently about how ALL plasmas are on there way out due to some agreement amongst manufacturers on switching to LCD's? NO thread crap here. I have a 50" Vizio plasma (720 P up-converts to 1080i) and a i love it. Might we see more and more plasma screens coming down in price? I hope so. I'd love to have a true 1080P set when i can finally afford a blu-ray player.

Wasn't there some hubbub recently about how ALL plasmas are on there way out due to some agreement amongst manufacturers on switching to LCD's? NO thread crap here. I have a 50" Vizio plasma (720 P up-converts to 1080i) and a i love it. Might we see more and more plasma screens coming down in price? I hope so. I'd love to have a true 1080P set when i can finally afford a blu-ray player.

I dont think so, just that Plasma even though has superior picture quality to LCD has not caught on with the mainstream.

Theres been some speculation to that effect, mostly due to what CrazyJ pointed out.

Picture quality on plasma's is by far better than anything out there (at least so says pretty much every editorial comparison and professional opinion), however, people are afraid of image retention and think theres some huge power savings by going LCD over Plasma.

Couple that with the fact that LCD's are insanely bright and stand out on the display shelves and uninformed consumers are almost always going to pick the LCD.

Could be that the superior technology may loose out in the end, especially if production costs for LCD's continues to drop as its been.

Thanks for the clarification. I am huge fan of plasma and have been for quite a while. It's funny because last night i was talking to this 20 year kid who was telling me he didn't want a plasma because "you can't tip it on its side". When are you gonna need to put the thing on its side? He went and got his buddy and i talked to him about and same thing, "you can't put it on it's side". I asked about the important stuff (native resolution, if they plan on getting HD of any sort, etc.) and they hadn't a clue about any of it except that it doesn't go on it's side. Uninformed consumers. I had to go home and watch the episode of futurama where bender can't lay on his back.:D

Theres been some speculation to that effect, mostly due to what CrazyJ pointed out.

Picture quality on plasma's is by far better than anything out there (at least so says pretty much every editorial comparison and professional opinion), however, people are afraid of image retention and think theres some huge power savings by going LCD over Plasma.

Couple that with the fact that LCD's are insanely bright and stand out on the display shelves and uninformed consumers are almost always going to pick the LCD.

Could be that the superior technology may loose out in the end, especially if production costs for LCD's continues to drop as its been.

No Panasonic built panels have yet been used in any pioneer plasma. As of right now Pioneer is the sole owner of its plasma panel designs and has not yet licensed that technology to anyone.

Sorry to inform you but Pioneer is getting out of the manufacturing of Plasma Panels and all the new models they start to make will use Panasonic panels..

I agree with you that Pioneer makes some really nice stuff,, probably even the best,, however its too expensive for them to continue doing so thus they are abandoning manufacturing their own supperior panels and using the cheaper Panasonics.. Its all about saving money.

Here is the news Link in case you missed it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST22772520080304

here is another link
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/plasma-tv-is-dead

Good news is that prices on these nice tv's should start to come down ;)

yes there is.. forgot which manufacturer who drop the plasma. i know 2 big company who will discontinue making plasma tvs. but if i'm spending 2300 bux on a tv i might as well get the 1080p. last december i bought me a 52" mitsu 1080p for 2100 bux. maybe not as good quality of the elite. not to mention freaking plasma are way too heavy. i won't be able to install that thing on my wall by myself like what i did to the mitsu. :p

So i'm not clueless! I could've sworn plasmas had some bad news recently. But like you mentioned in the next year we should see some nice prices for the "old" technology. My 50" plasma didn't seem that heavy... Well at least not as heavy as my 32" Philips Magnavox CRT.:cool:

Sorry to inform you but Pioneer is getting out of the manufacturing of Plasma Panels and all the new models they start to make will use Panasonic panels..

I agree with you that Pioneer makes some really nice stuff,, probably even the best,, however its too expensive for them to continue doing so thus they are abandoning manufacturing their own supperior panels and using the cheaper Panasonics.. Its all about saving money.

Here is the news Link in case you missed it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST22772520080304

here is another link
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/plasma-tv-is-dead

Good news is that prices on these nice tv's should start to come down ;)

I have one of these and I can vouch that the Elite plasmas have the best picture I've ever seen on any TV.

Every person who has ever been to my house has said the same thing.

Only difference is that I paid $5,000 for mine.

This is a steal of a deal.

Really, 1365X768 is not enough for 50 inch.

Subjective opinion ftw. The best advice you can offer anyone is "Go see it for yourself". It's your money, you decide. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Case in point: Moms was shopping for new tv. She wanted plasma. I explained the differences to her, we went to look in store. She picked out a 50 inch Panasonic plasma, 13xx by 768. It looks fantastic. Neither of us have any regrets about her purchase.

Not trying to poop on the quoted's opinion, just that everyone should do themselves a favor and see with their own eyes.

Subjective opinion ftw. The best advice you can offer anyone is "Go see it for yourself". It's your money, you decide. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Case in point: Moms was shopping for new tv. She wanted plasma. I explained the differences to her, we went to look in store. She picked out a 50 inch Panasonic plasma, 13xx by 768. It looks fantastic. Neither of us have any regrets about her purchase.

Not trying to poop on the quoted's opinion, just that everyone should do themselves a favor and see with their own eyes.

Yep... some may prefer a projected image, some may prefer the videogame "punchiness" of an LCD, or the deep blacks of a plasma... and when you're spending this kind of cash, you'd be silly not to consider all the options and do as much research as possible, even if you can't see one in-person.

I guess the moral of the story is that for a joe-six-pack buyer who knows nothing about plasmas, a 720p-ish native resolution is plenty. However, those aren't the types of buyers I'd expect to be interested in dropping $2300 on a pioneer or posting on [H]ardforum. They usually buy something like a Maxent (or even worse, a LCD). I think a sophisticated user looking at spending this kind of money might have a more discerning eye than your mother and would want to make sure they got a display that was somewhat future-proof.

There isn't really anything subjective about the fact that a person with average eyesight sitting within the standard viewing distance of a 50inch 720p plasma is going to be able to discern gaps between the pixels and experience screen door effect. Whereas, it takes extremely good eyesight to discern gaps on a 1080p plasma.

There isn't really anything subjective about the fact that a person with average eyesight sitting within the standard viewing distance of a 50inch 720p plasma is going to be able to discern gaps between the pixels and experience screen door effect. Whereas, it takes extremely good eyesight to discern gaps on a 1080p plasma.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to call ya on this one. I'm viewing an 84" (eighty-four inch) screen that is 720p and do not see any screen door effect at a seating distance of 12 feet. I do not have bad eyesight. The pixels simply are not discernable. Therefore, on a much smaller display of 50" (fifty inches), the pixel structure will not be visible either barring some special defect with the screen.

I guess the moral of the story is that for a joe-six-pack buyer who knows nothing about plasmas, a 720p-ish native resolution is plenty. However, those aren't the types of buyers I'd expect to be interested in dropping $2300 on a pioneer or posting on [H]ardforum. They usually buy something like a Maxent (or even worse, a LCD). I think a sophisticated user looking at spending this kind of money might have a more discerning eye than your mother and would want to make sure they got a display that was somewhat future-proof.

Lol so you have extremely good eyesight...so what? Just because someone is happy with a 720p doesnt mean he or she is less of an "expert" than you and s/he should buy a Maxent.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to call ya on this one. I'm viewing an 84" (eighty-four inch) screen that is 720p and do not see any screen door effect at a seating distance of 12 feet. I do not have bad eyesight. The pixels simply are not discernable. Therefore, on a much smaller display of 50" (fifty inches), the pixel structure will not be visible either barring some special defect with the screen.

You are quite right which is why in my OP I flatly stated go see them side by side. I pretty much defy anyone looking even at 12 inches to tell the sets apart.

As to the premise that the resolution on the Pio Elite isn’t enough for a 50” set perhaps that poster can explain why either set looks great at 1080i? Your logic fails.

To the poster who didn’t need to compare his standard Pioneer to an Elite to KNOW there is a difference the fact is while not as black and even with some of the missing processing in the standard set you would still be hard pressed to see pixels on either set.

As to BB and Pioneer and Pioneer Elite, regular BB stores don’t, can’t, carry the Elite product, only the BB stores that are tied with Magnolia Audio Video since BB bought them out years ago.

Finally to the poster who insisted on pointing me to the links about sourcing of panels, I acknowledged that 6 or 7 posts above yours. There is still a decision to be made weather to allow Panasonic to use Pioneers designs to be used in the Panasonic panels. If so that would be good for both companies.

Now I’ll state an opinion. My fear is the TV market will go the way of everything else these days, screw the quality, people want cheap. A very similar situation we faced in the HiFi business with the advent of MP-3. It makes less then no sense to hook an MP-3 player to a good audio system just to enjoy missing half the music.

This country used to demand quality, now we have become the ultimate whores of Wal-Mart and China. Frankly, that sucks.

You are quite right which is why in my OP I flatly stated go see them side by side. I pretty much defy anyone looking even at 12 inches to tell the sets apart.

As to the premise that the resolution on the Pio Elite isn’t enough for a 50” set perhaps that poster can explain why either set looks great at 1080i? Your logic fails.

To the poster who didn’t need to compare his standard Pioneer to an Elite to KNOW there is a difference the fact is while not as black and even with some of the missing processing in the standard set you would still be hard pressed to see pixels on either set.

As to BB and Pioneer and Pioneer Elite, regular BB stores don’t, can’t, carry the Elite product, only the BB stores that are tied with Magnolia Audio Video since BB bought them out years ago.

Finally to the poster who insisted on pointing me to the links about sourcing of panels, I acknowledged that 6 or 7 posts above yours. There is still a decision to be made weather to allow Panasonic to use Pioneers designs to be used in the Panasonic panels. If so that would be good for both companies.

Now I’ll state an opinion. My fear is the TV market will go the way of everything else these days, screw the quality, people want cheap. A very similar situation we faced in the HiFi business with the advent of MP-3. It makes less then no sense to hook an MP-3 player to a good audio system just to enjoy missing half the music.

This country used to demand quality, now we have become the ultimate whores of Wal-Mart and China. Frankly, that sucks.

When did our country demand quality?

And if you're implying that China doesn't have anything of quality, I'd suggest trying some of their fucking food. For instance, I had szechuan pork tonight and it was bangin' (even though the szechuan pork had tonight was Americanized, and most likely made from products from Walmart... but we'll disregard that for the sake of my argument)

Anyway, the point is MP3's are easy to download, and hell, who doesn't like a good whore?

When did our country demand quality?

And if you're implying that China doesn't have anything of quality, I'd suggest trying some of their fucking food. For instance, I had szechuan pork tonight and it was bangin' (even though the szechuan pork had tonight was Americanized, and most likely made from products from Walmart... but we'll disregard that for the sake of my argument)

Anyway, the point is MP3's are easy to download, and hell, who doesn't like a good whore?

When our old Zenith TV's would last for 20 years. When the appliances we bought lasted a lifetime.

Ever since production went overseas, and Walmart, the market changed to cheap goods.

Is this supposed "84 inch screen" even a plasma? Sorry, but you're probably looking at a projection TV. You realize that an 84 inch plasma will typically run over $20,000 right? At any rate you would have to be half blind to be unable to notice the blockyness of pixels on a plasma of that size (even if we do grant that you are a total baller with a $20K+ set). I can even see it on 42 inch 720p plasmas at 7-8 feet.

LOL at you trying to pass off the well known trend of being able to see the pixel structure of plasmas as "some special defect with the screen". That is grade A flame.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/04/pioneer-50-inch-1080p-plasma-screen-due-in-june/

I guess the comments to this article, with people being concerned about eliminating screen door effect and shrinking the distance between pixels are just fabricated?

Is this supposed "84 inch screen" even a plasma? Sorry, but you're probably looking at a projection TV. You realize that an 84 inch plasma will typically run over $20,000 right? At any rate you would have to be half blind to be unable to notice the blockyness of pixels on a plasma of that size (even if we do grant that you are a total baller with a $20K+ set). I can even see it on 42 inch 720p plasmas at 7-8 feet.

LOL at you trying to pass off the well known trend of being able to see the pixel structure of plasmas as "some special defect with the screen". That is grade A flame.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/04/pioneer-50-inch-1080p-plasma-screen-due-in-june/

I guess the comments to this article, with people being concerned about eliminating screen door effect and shrinking the distance between pixels are just fabricated?

That 84" is a projector he mentioned on Page 1 of this thread. I may be misinformed, but I thought Plasmas had a short life-span and produced much more heat than even CRTs. Please correct me if I am wrong. I live in South Florida and it is already to hot!

Wow, I must be the only one here who doesn't think plasma is vastly superior to LCD. (note: I'm not questioning the quality of the Elite sets, just referring in general to most sets in the 1k-2k range)

I guess I'm the one who is half blind, because I did go to the stores and compare LCD/DLP/plasma. I thought many of the high end LCD TVs, especially the newer 120hz models, were pretty fantastic. That's not to say they were heaps better than the plasmas I looked at, but they certainly weren't the disgrace to motion video that some people make them out to be. Black levels might not be on par with plasma yet, but LCDs do have a lot going for them also.

I just get tired of seeing the AV snobs trash LCD sets. There are crappy panels and quality panels. I wanted a large monitor, and LCD is the only way to go for that use. My buddy has his PC hooked up to a 42" 1080p plasma, and the level of sharpness doesn't even compare (not to mention the danger of static images like the taskbar -- he's an idiot). There is a Sony Bravia LCD at Sam's Club that has some of the best image quality I've ever seen, panel type notwithstanding. The content on that TV looks almost 3D, like I'm looking through a window and seeing actual moving things on the other side. Color me extremely impressed.

Despite that, we ended up with a 50" 1080p Hitachi and while I'm generally very happy with it, I know I wouldn't have any major regrets had I purchased a good 1080p LCD set. We've got our Wii hooked up to the plasma, and despite the burn-in reduction and screen saver features I can still detect some image retention if the Wii sits at a menu for a few minutes. Same with DVD menus. It does go away, but it's sort of disconcerting as I've never encountered that with any LCD I've owned.

And I can relate to what mastercheeze said above...I compared the 50" 1080p Hitachi side by side with a 50" 720p LG, and to be honest, in the store I thought the 720p LG had a slightly better picture. I don't know WHY, but with the content they were showing I thought that the 720p set was slightly sharper and richer. I then told myself that if we were spending this much money on a TV, it was going to be as future-proof as possible so I had to rule 720p out even though there was not a thing wrong with the image quality on that set. I attributed the minor differences to the glare-reduction layer on the Hitachi (which, in hindsight I'm glad I opted for due to daytime viewing) and the fact that I had no idea if either set was calibrated correctly, set to factory defaults, or adjusted incorrectly by the last guy that wanted to compare the TVs.

There is no disputing that HD content is going to look great on just about any HD set, LCD plasma or other. But image quality is subjective and you just have to go with what YOUR eyes tell you, not what other people pressure you into doing or what your heard on the intarweb.

I don't know about your set, but I've noticed a gap between pixels on every plasma I've ever seen, with the possible exception of some of the more expensive fujitu sets and Pioneer Elite plasmas.

But I'm not sure if I noticed it all of those or not. I only know that I've liked all the PE plasmas and most of the Fujitsu models that cost cost around 15k or more. I did see one Fujitsu last year that was in the price range that looked like shit (and it was in a high end store in Houston).

Personally, i liked the Sony XBR2 SXRD sets and was really disapointed when Sony decided to stop making them (especially since the 70" XBR5 was supposed to be a mere 14" deep!).

All that said, I think this is a GREAT deal for those that want a plasma. The price is fantastic and as i said, Pioneer makes one of the best Plasma screens (if not the best) around...and the cabinets (or is it just a frame?) are gorgeous.

Great find OP.

I have had a Pioneer 5040HD now for a few years, bought it for 4500 bucks when that WAS a deal on them. It has been the best TV I have ever owned. If I flipped TVs every few years, I would buy this Elite, but I don't. I will wait for that 1080P Pioneer deal to come around in the next couple of years and retire my 5040HD to the bed room and replace my 10 year old 36" Mitsu tube.....which is still a great picture.

Just to contribute a bit to the discussion here, if your primary concern is picture quality and not resolution, you should jump on this. While you notice a difference between 720p and 1080p, that's not synonymous with 720p automatically looking worse. It just means it looks less defined. A good upscaler will make SD DVD look great at 720p res upscaled, but will look worse on 1080p than on a SD set. So if you have massive collections of SD DVD movies you probably want a 720p set as a good compromise between HD and SD. I have a kickass DLP with awesome blacks and I can tell you having a good quality set with good image processing is vastly more important than 720/1080p discussion. My set looks better than most of friends 1080p LCD sets (although they have the benefit of using them for pc etc...). I took a look in store at the non-elite version of this and it's one of the few plasmas that looks damn good and better than all the LCD's around it.

Now before you flame DLP, I'm not advocating DLP in general or anything. Yeah, I know it sucks in bright light. Yeah, I know viewing angles can be an issue depending on the set. Now that we've moved on, the kuro has blacks like a good DLP (there are a lot of shitty DLP's that look like crap too, esp. at the low end) but also has good brightness similar to an LCD. If this were available at this price at the time I bought my 50" DLP, I would purchase it in a heartbeat instead. I'm generally not a fan of "glowy" sets (and by that I mean sets where you can turn the lights off with a straight back signal and use it to light your room ala most LCD's). This seemed not to be one (although based on lighting conditions at the BB I can't say with certainty but the blacks definitely were darker and more black than the sets around it).

I would go in store and check these out before buying, but I def. recommend you grab one of these if you have large DVD libraries. They'll look better than they would on a 1080p set after upscaling. The processor is VERY important for SD DVD's. The one on my DLP kicks ass and this one I imagine is similarly excellent (which is what people seem to be saying). A lot of the similar 1080p sets in this price range or considerably less actually will look terrible with SD, partially because of resolution being so high versus the source feed, but also because they have worthless image processing. If you must have 1080p, I would wait for the 1080p version of this set. Unlike a lot of cheaper plasmas, this one also is supposed to have builtin phase shifters that effectively elimate image retention by preventing them from ever being static enough to burn-in. This is arguably the best plasma and best set out there right now. The only question is whether you want to wait for the 1080p version to come down.

If I had a tweeter in my state, I might buy one just to have such a HQ set for when my DLP goes.

I don't know about your set, but I've noticed a gap between pixels on every plasma I've ever seen, with the possible exception of some of the more expensive fujitu sets and Pioneer Elite plasmas.

Great find OP.

See my first post in the thread regarding my projector.

Read more carefully before claiming I am trying to incite a flamewar :p. Purposely pretending to misunderstand someone does NOT bolster your own argument.

The lifetime of plasmas (at least quality ones) is not short. The math comes out to something like 13 years to HALF brightness if viewed 8 hours a day. It is phospor based (same as CRTs) and have similar lifespans. Since most sets require the brightness to be set around 50% (my 6010 is set at 45), you just adjust the brightness up as it dims.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this, but I don't give a damn.

<snip> Post flamebait elsewhere. Kyle

I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this, but I don't give a damn.

It is just one of those things you don't see the value in (literally). I bet if we sat down we could find something in your budget that I would call insane as well.

Given your standpoint, this is not the thread that you should be posting in.

Damn, why does this happen 2 years too late for me :( I bought a Panasonic 42" for 2700$ when it's a great deal (it was averaging over 3000$ for that one).

Oh well ! There's always next time in the future...

The lifetime of plasmas (at least quality ones) is not short. The math comes out to something like 13 years to HALF brightness if viewed 8 hours a day. It is phospor based (same as CRTs) and have similar lifespans. Since most sets require the brightness to be set around 50% (my 6010 is set at 45), you just adjust the brightness up as it dims.

Actually you are almost right. A number of years ago I believe it was the Wall Street Journal (Just where you would look for good AV information) wrote an article on the short lifespan of a Plasma TV on Page 1 then later retracted it (page 6) when shown by various manufactures they were wrong.

TV set life is really measured in half life. The half life is defined by the point in time when the set is about halfway to needing replaced, typically 5 years or so. Do the math and an old CRT TV should be replaced about every 10 years due to lack of brightness.

Most high end Plasma makers give a half life of 10 to 12 years or a total life of well over 20 years, barring dropping it from a high place. Yes, overall the set is more expensive but in the long run can cost you less. The biggest plus is, no maintenance. No bulb to replace in the middle of Super Bowl etc.

As to heat, they run somewhere between an LCD and an older CRT set. The plasma panel itself is more like a Neon bulb then a CRT.;)

Wow, I must be the only one here who doesn't think plasma is vastly superior to LCD. (note: I'm not questioning the quality of the Elite sets, just referring in general to most sets in the 1k-2k range)

I guess I'm the one who is half blind, because I did go to the stores and compare LCD/DLP/plasma. I thought many of the high end LCD TVs, especially the newer 120hz models, were pretty fantastic. That's not to say they were heaps better than the plasmas I looked at, but they certainly weren't the disgrace to motion video that some people make them out to be. Black levels might not be on par with plasma yet, but LCDs do have a lot going for them also.

I wanted one of the 120hz LCDs so I bought a Samsung 4671. At the time I also had a Pioneer 5080 so I had them setup side by side, and my primary use is for gaming.

My home theater environment negates many of the LCD advantages and favors the blacks of the Pioneer, so that leaned toward the plasma. I was very surprised to see how poorly the LCD handled motion, with/without the AMP feature. With gaming I kept seeing instances where objects, or the background would blur out, then snap back to clarity. I guess if you didn't have a plasma handy you could convince yourself that it was supposed to be that way. Racing games really bothered me in this regard. I would make a small course correction, only to have all the surrounding detail lost to blur, then snap back.

In the end I upgraded to a Pioneer 5010 because I thought I would see alot of improvement at my 8' viewing distance, but in the end it was mostly wasted money.

I would JUMP all over an 1150 at these current prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back